• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

HELP: breeding corns

olidaniels

okay i am having a bit of trouble here..
to give you an overview: 2 corns, think male and female
male: 3years
female: 2 years
female shed about 2 weeks ago and then didnt eat for two weeks, then they started messing arround- whizzing arround and tangling- but didnt see most of it.... so now the female is trying to escape the whole time she is hurting her nose.... um so oh and last of all she feels quite bumpy arround her middle so i am thinking eggs, but i cant be sure and it seems too quick because if they did mate then it was only 3 days ago or do they just develop that quick.

so could you please tell me what to do... wheter she is ill or preggers and what to do.. ie split them up or leave them or put in a nesting box or see a reptile vet (to be avioded if possible)

from oli thanks very much for the help!!!!!

ps could you please give a number that i could call preferably in suffolk to help

thanks again

1) Split them up. Ideally, female Corns shouldn't be bred under 3 years old. Also, search on "cohabitation" as there are some strong views on keeping Corns singly. As she's trying to get away and injuring herself, she's already stressed and that can lead to all sorts of health problems. Also, it's better if she can be on her own to lay eggs. If the male is persistant, he could stop her settling into her nesting box which could in turn lead to her getting eggbound.

2) They could have been mating for some time without you seeing, so you may have eggs due. Could also just be her ovulating, but as they've mated, you should plan for eggs anyway. Put a nesting box in the female's viv (searching on "laying box", "nest box" or "nesting box" will throw up some instructions - pretty simple stuff).

3) When in doubt, you should always see a vet. However, in this case I don't think it's indicated unless you're concerned about the injury to her nose. They's just a-doin' what snakes do naturally and I suspect a vet won't find any health issues to advise on (other than separating them to stop her being stressed & injured).

Everything Bitsy said, plus...

You could re-introduce them once or twice per week until she looks gravid (if indeed, she is really big enough that she should be bred).

I usually put mine together for about 15 - 30 minutes and then separate, since I want to observe and record breeding. In cases where I only have one pair of a certain type, then I might keep them together for a couple of days, then separate for a week, and repeat until she looks gravid.

But if I see the male constantly chasing her while she is running away, I won't let that go on for more than a half hour at most. No sense in stressing her out.

As Kathy mentioned....is this female large enough to breed. Is she at least 300 grams? Producing eggs takes a lot out of a female and if they are too small, they risk having their systems overburdened producing eggs. There is the risk of egg binding if they are too small also. Seperate them unless you want her bred for certain.

I agree with the above statements....

***If you have found this message helpful, please remember that this is a good moderator triat and remember to vote for me in the 2007 Moderator Race.***

MohrSnakes said:
I agree with the above statements....

***If you have found this message helpful, please remember that this is a good moderator triat and remember to vote for me in the 2007 Moderator Race.***
Campaigning now Jeff? :)

The exact same thing happened to me 8 years ago when I first bred corns, by accident... The pet shop insisted they were two females, one of them started acting the exact same way you described and hurt her nose a bit, i put a laying box in there and there was a clutch of eggs within 48 hours. All hatched as well, and so the long journey of corns began. Good luck.

Back