• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hiding from light

Chris_Thacker

I've never heard of this before. My snake will not come out from hiding unless I turn off all lights or turn on only the darkest colored night time light that hardly throws out any light. What is up with this? I had another corn snake a few years back and he never done this, he was out all day.

Most of mine are like that! They come out late in the evening, when there is only a single light on. Some never come out! Perfectly normal. Then there are a few that lay in their hammocks all day.

You did not mention what morph you have, but albino snakes are sensitive to light - they do not like it. Corn snakes are crepuscular by nature - in the wild they are most active when light is dim.

Then there are a few that lay in their hammocks all day.

Wait hammocks? I think I might need to see a pic of that, if you have one Nanci.

Most of mine are more active at night also. Which kinda creeps me out sometimes, cause I hear them crawling around in there viv's and I think they are trying to escape lol.

You do find the odd one that's active at unusual times (like your first one), but it's much more normal for them to be active at times of low or no light.

What type of light is it? Could it be giving off UV or an uncomfortable amount of extra heat? Those are a couple of things that might be factors as well.

Mine have hides etc but they climb as high as they can and curl up and sleep or do wat ever they do when they curl up but I can see mine most of the time

You did not mention what morph you have, but albino snakes are sensitive to light - they do not like it. Corn snakes are crepuscular by nature - in the wild they are most active when light is dim.
Crepuscular - must be the word I mean to use when I say "primarily nocturnal". Thanks for the info, you learn something new every day! :)

Crepuscular, IIRC, means active in very dim light, not no light, so dawn & dusk. Like wild mice.

Back