• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How many times have you been bitten by your snake(s)?

corn snakes are a very layed back easy going snake but if you neglet to feed them reg. they will go to bit you. I work at a small zoo and have only been bitten one time by a corn and that was during feeding

Last edited:
Snakes are just like any other living thing-They've got their moods, they've got their personalities, and they've got people they don't like. Some corns are really laid back and would never bite a single person. They don't even eat aggresively. Some snakes will have mood swings and decide they're especially crabby one day and take a chunk outta you. Some snakes will only bite certain people. But, I wouldn't worry about being bit. For one thing, it doesn't hurt. For another thing, the average corn won't bite at all.

It's a very rare thing for a cornsnake to bite.

Of the 6 adults I have, only 1 has bit me once and it was my own fault. She mistook my thumb for the mouse I was holding.

Hatchlings: Often

Adults: Rarely

My BRBs on the other hand don't get handled without a hook! :eek:

mwr920 - Never been bitten (knock on wood). I've also only had my corn since June.

CAV - BRBs: Baby Red-tailed Boas I assume? Are they biters...aggressive? I've seen (in a number of places) large snakes such as Boas, Pythons and the like handled...I always thought it would more likely to be strangled by one of these creatures than bitten. Is this a breed-specific thing? Quite interested in hearing about this - look forward to your reply!

i've been bitten many times, but all of the bites were from my aggressive snakes. My calmer snake has never bitten and i doubt ever will

Bekah,

BRB = Brazilian Rainbow Boas They are nippy as juvies, but are beyond description. I have 2.4 of these and each is uniquely patterned. They are called "rainbow boas" because of the irridescence of their skin. Check out the pics.

CAV - Looking at middle pic on page - can see irredescence...reminds me of Peacock plumage. Beautiful snake! I know the 3rd is a corn (shame on me if I didn't...lol), but what type of snake is in the first pic?

Are you talking about the photos on my website? It is a Graybanded Kingsnake (Lampropeltis alterna), my personal favorite snake of all time! Here is another new Grayband King pic I posted earlier.

Did you click the BRB link in my last post? They had some great rainbow reflections. :cool:

one question amanda

Amanda E said:
It's a very rare thing for a cornsnake to bite.

Of the 6 adults I have, only 1 has bit me once and it was my own fault. She mistook my thumb for the mouse I was holding.
I AM A NEW CORN SNAKE OWNER, AND HAVE BEEN TOLD TO TAKE THE SNAKE OUT INTO ANOTHER VIV TO FEED IT. NOW DO I STILL DO THAT WHEN ITS OLDER? RIGHT NOW ITS ONLY 3 MTHS OLD. NOW I'M AFRAID THAT WHEN I TAKE IT OUT TO PUT IT IN ANOTHER SPOT TO FEED, THAT IT WILL BITE ME, ON HER "FEEDING DAY" BECAUSE SHE THINKS I AM FOOD. MIGHT SOUND A LIL NAIVE, BUT LIKE I SAID I'M JUST A BEGINNER. I BEEN DOING A LOT OF RESEARCH BEFORE I OBTAINED IT, BUT THERES ALWAYS ANOTHER QUESTION THAT POPS UP IN MY HEAD. SO PLEASE, IF U COULD MAYBE ANSWER MY QUESTION. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.MICHAELA

I still feed all of my snakes in a seperate container. This practice also ensures that your snake doesn't accidentally swallow a piece of bedding with the mouse. :)

I feed all of my snakes inside their own containers, and I have gotten bit several times for it!!

First off, why are you removing it from it's cage to eat? Is it because you have loose substrate that you don't want it to accidently ingest? Or is it because someone told you if you don't move it to a different container it will associate you with food when you reach in it's cage?

I keep all of my snakes on papertowels, so I have no worry of accidental ingestion of substrate and I regularly handle my snakes, so I have no worry of them associating me with food. Because of this I feed all of my snakes inside their cages. This works for me, but you may want to continue to feed outside your snake's cage if that works for you or if you have loose substrate. However, I just went to feed that one snake again tonight (the one that bit me before) and she smelled the mouse and was obviously very hungry because I had to basically throw the mouse in the cage instead of placing it in the cage like usual. She would have definitely bit me if I would have tried to even just touch her, because just by smelling the mouse outside of her cage, she was ready to eat.

Getting bit isn't a horrible thing though. It feels like a pin prick and wont bleed unless you pull away and the teeth get caught in your skin. It doesn't hurt at all if it's a baby biting you, or so I've heard.

A friend of mine, who has been breeding snakes for about 30 years now, jokes that you aren't truly a herper unless you've been bit by at least three species. I know you're only talking about cornsnakes here, but don't worry too much about getting bit. Like I said, it's not a big deal. Before I was bit (by any herp) I was pretty worried about it too, but now that I've had a bunch of herps bite me and can consider myself a true herper, per my friend, I can really verify that it's nothing to worry about. I've hurt myself worse ways just by walking around my house than by any snake bite I've received (did I mention I'm a klutz).

If you do end up with one of those rare cornsnakes that is a biter, what you can do to keep bites at bay is to use forceps to feed the snake and/or use a snake hook to move the snake out of or into it's cage. The forceps are just to allow you more room between the mouse and you during feeding time and the snake hook will alert the snake that it's not time to be biting. Usually with any snake once it's out of it's cage it's okay to be handled, getting taken out of or being put back in a cage is when you need to be concerned (and I'm mainly talking about the nastier species here).

Wow... this post turned into a monster. Sorry about the length.

thx amanda. yea the breeder had told me to put it in a diff cage. and i have loose substrate also. what i did, when i fed it for the first time tonite, i had put the mouse down first, washed my hand and grabbed the snake and put it right next to it. he went right for it.he's only 3 mths old, but seeems very friendly. little bit fast though, but never acts "silly" when i pick him up. have u ever heard of a sliding door is better than a viv where u reach in from the top? but i guess, if it wants to strike u, it will,no matter from what side u open the glass. but like i said so far..knock on wood,ive only had him for a day, and i think he likes me.lol

well out of the 5 corns i have and the 40 hatchlings i have hatched altogether. the hatchlings been biten by many times, but if you dont see it you would never know it has bit you. my 5 have never ever ever biten me nor have they shown aggression towarsd me. they are now 2, 4, 5, 7 and 8 years old.
:)

My snake hasn't bitten me yet, but he would if I let him. He is about a year old now and when he was younger (like 2-3 months ago) I could reach in a grab him with only a little squirming on his part. But now, he's very fast - quickly turning his head towards my hand from whatever direction I come at him from...constantly striking at me when I get close enough to pick him up. However, this is during the sunset hours...if I pick him up mid-day when he is sleeping or sleepy, he's not as fast. Regardless of the time of day, once I actually have him in my hands, he is much calmer and never strikes.

In any case, I've just ordered a snake hook online and hope that will allow me to remove him from the tank without so much stress on his part and my part. I am hoping that getting him from the hook to my hand will be much easier.

Back