• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Live Feeding

mele2511

Was'nt me officer
Hi

I was thinking of feeding my 5.5 foot corn a live mouse. As i have never done this before is there anything i should look out for or should this be done at all ?

Well let's see...are you aware of the injuries a live mouse might inflict on your snake?
Are you aware that your snake might not want to go back to frozen after having live?

Please ask yourself WHY you want to do this.
There is zero benefit to the snake in doing this.

somebody told me that it would be good for them because it is more natural to do it every now and then ... is this not true ?

Sometimes "more natural" is not better.
Snakes do fine on a thawed diet, without risk of injury.

Think this way, in nature it is natural for the majority of hatchlings to die before they reach a year old.

It is natural for a cheetah with a leg injury to starve to death.

It is natural for a raccoon to die of rabies.

Is it natural that dogs and cats eat out of cans?

When you keep something, ALL things should be taken into consideration. Their safety should be #1. Providing healthy food, without risk of injury (except in those rare cases that the snake will ONLY accept live), beats "natural" everytime!

Remember, this is a pet.

Do we expect our dogs to take down bison?
Or our cats to hunt gazelle?

So why do we expect our pet snakes to kill?

mele2511 said:
Hi

I was thinking of feeding my 5.5 foot corn a live mouse. As i have never done this before is there anything i should look out for or should this be done at all ?

If you're going to choose to feed it a live mouse, there are a couple things to look out for.

1. It's best to at least make sure you're snake is hungry....

2.Also since your snake is 5 feet, and you've never done it before, I would make sure that your snake will constrict (if it never did while feeding f/t, then something to be aware of).

3. I would almost recommend feeding it something smaller than normal just to make sure it has the size advantage and the risk of injury should be smaller (think of a midget hitting andrea the giant)

4. Another thing you can do is at least lower the consciousness of the mouse (hold it by the tail and knock it against the wall a couple of times so its disoriented)

Thats all I can think of at the moment, but those are the basics if you're going to feed live.

If anyone has extra please add

HaisseM said:
If you're going to choose to feed it a live mouse, there are a couple things to look out for.

1. It's best to at least make sure you're snake is hungry....

2.Also since your snake is 5 feet, and you've never done it before, I would make sure that your snake will constrict (if it never did while feeding f/t, then something to be aware of).

3. I would almost recommend feeding it something smaller than normal just to make sure it has the size advantage and the risk of injury should be smaller (think of a midget hitting andrea the giant)

4. Another thing you can do is at least lower the consciousness of the mouse (hold it by the tail and knock it against the wall a couple of times so its disoriented)

Thats all I can think of at the moment, but those are the basics if you're going to feed live.

If anyone has extra please add

I can add that as there is no benefit to the snake there is NO REASON to do it at all.

Another thing you can do if you feed your snake in a separate bin is put the snake in 1st and give him a minute or two to adjust then put the mouse in....

Also I like to hold onto the mouse until my snake has bitten it and begun to constrict. (I've never used tongs, but I should probably go out and buy some and would recommend the same if you haven't already.

HaisseM said:

Don't...do that... when the mouse rights itself it'll be even more angry.

JasonGranger said:
Don't...do that... when the mouse rights itself it'll be even more angry.

??? Really ???

If you bang the head of the mouse on the side of the cage a couple of times it should be disoriented long enough for the snake to grab ahold and start constricting (mind you, this does have to be done within a few secs of feeding the snake to keep the mouse unconscious. )

(mind you,

you don't really need to feed your snake live prey items.)

However, if you choose to do so, please understand there are inherent risks (listed above) associated with doing so.

Regards,
Steve

This is just my opinion here, but anyone who would deliberately and purposely inflict pain and suffering on an animal (even "just" a mouse) for NO REASON, is a sadistic monster and should be cited for animal cruelty.

And when a snake is eating frozen/thawed without a problem, there is NO REASON.

I try...and I try...and I try...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to starsevol again.

Let me add:

please understand there are inherent risks (listed above) associated with doing so.

A responsible pet owner wouldn't assume those risks.

Regards,
Steve

starsevol said:
I can add that as there is no benefit to the snake there is NO REASON to do it at all.
The ONE benefit that I can see from feeding live is the inherent exercise in constriction.

That said, I'll only feed live when the snake is a "problem feeder" and the other tricks of scenting, teasing, etc., have been exhausted.

regards,
jazz

Thank you ssmith.

And jazz, you are correct. I did not think of that benefit.
But the risks outweigh, I think.
Do you remember that thread about using new golf balls in a tub to make a sort of "excercise chamber"?
I really need to try to find that in search, that sounds like wonderful stress-free excercise.

Without getting too off topic here..... If someone ask a question, their is no problem in giving your opinion on the matter, but is it really necessary to try and insult the person when you don't agree with their outlook. I mean serious I try and ignore certain responses because I can tell they are looking to get a raise or to catch attention, but truth be told. It's really not necessary and should be stopped or MOD's should warn the person... :-offtopic

their is no problem in giving your opinion on the matter

Main Entry: opin·ion
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin opinion-, opinio, from opinari
Date: 14th century
1 a: a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

You don't always have to agree with it or even like it for that matter...but everyone is entitled to one.

Regards,
Steve

HaisseM said:
Without getting too off topic here..... If someone ask a question, their is no problem in giving your opinion on the matter, but is it really necessary to try and insult the person when you don't agree with their outlook. I mean serious I try and ignore certain responses because I can tell they are looking to get a raise or to catch attention, but truth be told. It's really not necessary and should be stopped or MOD's should warn the person... :-offtopic

Look at the original question. He asked if there was a safe way to do it, or should he not do it at all. I said he should not do it at all, and questioned why he would even want to. He said that someone said its good because it's "natural".
I gave a list of instances where "natural" is not neccessarily the best for the animal.
And I questioned why other pets are not expected to kill their own food.

starsevol said:
Look at the original question. He asked if there was a safe way to do it, or should he not do it at all. I said he should not do it at all, and questioned why he would even want to. He said that someone said its good because it's "natural".
I gave a list of instances where "natural" is not neccessarily the best for the animal.
And I questioned why other pets are not expected to kill their own food.
I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one.

Other pets are not expected to do so because we've domesticated them, whereas it would virtually be impossible with reptiles, given their lack of cognitive skills. These are animals that are practically all instinct-driven, as I see it.

I'll grant you, however, that they are "kept" animals, and most keepers would prefer the safety of their animals over the desire to maintain their "wild" behaviors.

regards,
jazz

Point of clarification: By "pets", I'm referring to the cat and dog examples previously cited in starsevol prior post. Those species are domesticated.

I won't say the same for pet birds, insects, etc.

There. Covered my keester. ;)

regards,
jazz

Back