• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

need help on next feeding step

josias graham

My 2 corns are about 2 years old and just under 3 feet long. Their just slightly less thick then an adult mouse (they have them down in a few seconds actually).
The problem im having is this. I feed them 1 large mouse once a week. But the next day theres no stomach bump (hardly noticable when first swallowed either). They are out hunting the next night.
They "snake expert" at that fish and pet place (huge store here in pa) said I should only give them pinkies (he's an expert?!?!).
Somone else said try small rats...but im a bit nervouse...would this be a good option and how much bigger are thw small rats vs small mice?

If you're really concerned, and can't find "jumbo" mice, you could try 2x "large" mice. Then again, if you don't have jumbo mice available as an option, then switching to properly sized rat might be the better option. As long as you don't plan on going back to mice, once corns go rat they rarely go back.

Do you know the average weight of your adult mice? How about your snakes, how much do they weigh? Snake feeding charts are based on weight of the snake and the mouse, not length or age.

My adults don't have much of a 'bump' either when fed a large adult mouse. They do fine on the 1 to 2 large adults every 14 days.

When corns hit adulthood (which yours sound to be) they are not in need of as much food in order to grow. Yours are still growing for sure, but they probably don't need to keep getting bumped-up in size. I have heard many arguments against feeding corns rats, because of the fat content in them compared to mice. I personally will advise against upping yours to rats, as it is most likely not necessary.
I'm pretty sure adult corns only require one adult-sized mouse every 7-14 days anyways.
If I am wrong, someone please feel free to correct me.

Back