• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

newbie questions to breeds and phases

KaspR

Not too sure if it fits in behaviours but seems close enough.

All this talk of "het" and "hypo" "anery" "lavender" ect....seems very confusing, I ggues this falls on my shoulders for not doing the proper research into it however is there a simple explaination on how to tell the difference?

As well, I have an anery myself although the store called him a black corn, sdo corns have colour phases as the grow or do they simply darken or lighten? is there a website anyone knows of that you can see images of the colour phases (if any)

Thanks in advance I realize I am being somewhat lazy however it's easier to understand an answer from one of you than trying to udnerstand the lingo in soem of the books and websites.

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the site. The whole morphs thing is pretty straight forward once you've had a bit of time to sit and read and serp's genetics tutorial is a brilliant start.

That said...even the more experienced keepers will find something to debate on a regular basis! --keeps it fresh!!

Let's see.....
babies do go through color changes as they mature. Some color morphs are easy to identify and others require knowing the genetics of the parents. 2 books I HIGHLY suggest are the Cornsnake Owners Manual by Kathy Love, and the Cornsnake Morph guide by Charles Pritzel. I find myself reading them on almost a daily basis. And after all that, I STILL can't visually differenuate between a charcoal and an anerytheristic!

well here's a pic of the little guy and thanks for all your help guys!! Kathy Love certainly is the talk fo the town eh. I actually senbt her a preemptive thnak you to ehr the other day due to all her advice it's helped me a lot but man theres a lot to learn, i guess this is the best place to start!

What a beautiful anery baby you have!
And yes, Kathy is very nice and has been breeding these critters forever.
You NEED her book, lol :)

Back before she and Bill left Glades herps, I had a subscription to their monthly price list. I used to await it and spend a week drooling over it!

yah he's a gorgeous little guy thank my friends for getting him for me and thank my wife for allowing me to keep him hahaha

she' was actually terrified of snakes until i took her to an expo, she held her first baby ball and fell in love but sitll weary of them, she gets freake dout when they look at her hahaha

Anyways I'll definately look into Kathy's books!

Hope as knowldgedge grows so will my collection

Serpwidgets is definately a good site. I was clueless about all these things as well before I checked out that site.

me too

i must confess too, that either i've been very lazy or just havent had the spare time to read up. all these morphs and slang words are all to confusing. I did read something that really suprised me, was that if i breed my male snow with another snow, they would produce all sorts of corns( ie lavender, ghosts etc etc ) not just snow hatchlings, is this correct or did i read it wrong

jvbernard said:
I did read something that really suprised me, was that if i breed my male snow with another snow, they would produce all sorts of corns( ie lavender, ghosts etc etc ) not just snow hatchlings, is this correct or did i read it wrong
You probably missed the word "het" in there somewhere. ;)

Back