• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Power Outages

WestCoast_Redneck

Our power went out today after an accident nearby. Not a real biggie but now were wondering what would happen if the power went out for more than a few hours? It's winter in BC, so it's not freezing but definitely consistently chilly out.

Has anyone experienced a lengthy (24hr+) power outage? When do you start worrying about your snakes without a warm spot and/or what would you do to compromise for heat?

Interested in your advise/personal experiences

You can order 40 hour heat packs from Superior Shipping. They should keep your snake warm enough as long as it's warm enough for you to be in the house. If you have to leave, take the snake with. With his heat pack. To use it, place it in a deli cup so the snake can't lay directly on it.

I have no experience with 24 HR long power outages buy I have deffinantly thought about these things happaning.. and I have read up on a few things:

- although a lot of people would say generators would be your best bet.. MOST people can't afored one of them these days, especially if your still a student, on still saving up for your first home est..

- One really good idea I found was using those hand warmers/foot warmers that last 10 hours or so. They recommended putting the heating pad inside of somthing like a plastic butter container, that way the snake can curl up next to the container, and not be able to come into direct contact with the heat source.

I personally really liked this idea as those are readily available in my city since we live in a snow belt, and their cheap! :D

I thankfully haven't had to use them yet, (knock on wood!) but it makes me feel a little better having them.. :)

..that's all I have found though, I would love to hear any other ideas that are out there!

Thank you! I am both a student and saving for a house, so a generator for a single snake is out of the question. But I would never leave a pet behind, if those circumstances arose. BUT I literally have boxes of the hand and toe warmers because our entire family lives to ski/board. Pretty sure we have a life supply lol. Our weather is temperate rainforest, it really doesn't get cold here, just wet so I dont think I have to worry if that can be a temp. solution. We've had long outages due to wind before, but never even close enough to force us to leave.
But it was a question I'm glad to have had answered :)
I love the hand warmer suggestion! I will create a snake emergency kit and keep a few in the viv cupboard!

Those hand/foot warmers that you get from sporting goods stores, & such get too hot, & can overheat your snake. The 40 hour ones don't get as ghot, & stay heated longer. They're not really expensive,so I would recomment the ones used for shipping reptiles.

The hand/foot warmers for people do get really hot, really fast. Since you already have some of them though I'd suggest that after you put the warmer in a butter tub wrap the whole thing in a hand towel. Then put in in the viv, the towel will muffle the initial extreme heat. Plus if you set it in the viv near your temp probe you can keep and eye on it and add another towel or unwrap it as necessary.

If you just put the warmer in a deli cup (with holes) the snake can get right up on it if it wants.

(When I do this for shipping, I use an empty deli for a spacer between the snake and the deli cup with the heat).

Oh yes, of course I'll place the warmers in a deli, in fact I have found a few perfect shallow ones that I have placed in the viv cupboard with a warmer in our newly formed 'emergency kit'. Again, Im 99% sure this will never become necessary, but it's better to know the answers to these kinds of questions then for something to happen and panic b/c you have no idea what to do!
I just didn't want to order a reptile heat pad online, as the chances I would ever use it are next-to-none. I will never breed our corn (ultra female) nor will we ship her/travel with her. She is in her forever home, and between the petstores and her breeder close by, there's little chance I will ever be stuck for options! But in the event of a longer than expected power outage, I am now prepared! Thank you for the helpful advise!xx :)

Back