• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

recycling

icepick

hey gang,

Most of this southern Ontario (Canada) area has a weekly recycling pickup (plastic, glass, paper etc...)
What does your region or municipality do in the way of recycling?
I just had family come back from Forth Worth Texas and they mentioned that recycling is picked up once a month with most people tossing there stuff in the regular garbage pickup.

I live in New Jersey and each municipality here is different. Ours is pick up weekly but the other municipality next to us is pick up every two weeks. I have some folks from there say that it fills up to much and they start throwing out recyclables out.

In my borough there is monthly mandatory pickup of aluminum, bi-metal/steel and corrugate cardboard for recycling. We don't let them take our aluminum and instead take it in ourselves for money when we have a garbage can full.

They also have a program for a reduced garbage bill if you recycle your glass and paper...But they want you to take it to their recycling place the whole way across town. We don't bother anymore since they won't reduce your bill if you use the other recycling place that's on our side of town.

Here, we actually had to PAY THEM if we wanted to recycle. However, as of Jan 1, our city finally got a city-wide contract with ONE waste management company. Before that, you had your choice of half a dozen. Everyone on my street had a different company.

So with this contract, we received a bin just for recycling, and they'll pick it up weekly OR however often you place it out with your regular trash. I'm totally loving it. I want to do my part with recycling, but I wasn't going to actually pay to have it picked up. Sorry, I have kids to feed.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to re-train the spouse. I finally ended up hanging a trash bag on the wall in the garage for recyclables so he doesn't have to walk ALL the way ACROSS the garage to the can. :rolleyes:

Here, we actually had to PAY THEM if we wanted to recycle. However, as of Jan 1, our city finally got a city-wide contract with ONE waste management company. Before that, you had your choice of half a dozen. Everyone on my street had a different company.

So with this contract, we received a bin just for recycling, and they'll pick it up weekly OR however often you place it out with your regular trash. I'm totally loving it. I want to do my part with recycling, but I wasn't going to actually pay to have it picked up. Sorry, I have kids to feed.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to re-train the spouse. I finally ended up hanging a trash bag on the wall in the garage for recyclables so he doesn't have to walk ALL the way ACROSS the garage to the can. :rolleyes:

Several years ago our city did that same thing. It works well if your a home owner, but since I now live in an apartment building we don't have a program set up for recycling.
We do have a bottle/can return program in the state of michigan which pays you back 10 cents each pop/beer bottle or can you return. they are trying to enact a law to include juice/water bottles also. That in itself helps tremendously to reduce waste along the roads and highways.

Back