• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

regurging again

waldo

Crazy Tarantula Lady
My poor little girl had another regurg last night, this is the third in a month. She has only managed to keep down three very small meals. She is losing weight again. I just don't know what to do, I've been following Kathys protocol but its not working. Any ideas?

Forgot to add, she regurged one day after her last feeding of 1/3 peach fuzzy. It hadn't even started to digest yet.

Third regurge in a month, so she is basically regurging every meal (counting 10 days before feeding again after a regurge X 3 = 30 days or 1 month)? With that many regurges, the size of the snake, and the size of the meal you just fed, I would highly recommend that you cut back to extra small pinkies or small pinky heads at the maximum size for at least 3-4 feedings before attempting to move up the size, and don't feed more frequently than once every 5-7 days, and I personally would go the 7 days between feedings. Sometimes the hair alone on meal can irritate the already inflamed digestive track. Stay away from haired meals, either feeding 2 smaller ones or going to rat pinks when the time eventually comes. I've had a couple snakes that couldn't handle haired meals until they were over the 100 gram mark.

She is regurging every other meal, I've actually had her for a bit over a month and she had a regurge a couple days before I brought her home.
I did get over zealous at first and feed her 2 newborn pinks a few days apart, she kept them both down but her third meal with me was a peach fuzz and it came back up. In fact, all the regurges she has had were haired.
I have a litter of mice due any day, she might have even had them last night. I'll freeze them right away.
At this point, I'm ready to give up. I don't mind special feedings or even having to use hairless food but I don't know how long I can watcher her whither away before I end it.
Thanks Susan for the advise, I'm felling pretty bad right now.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to keep her on double pinks for a while, even if she is just gaining a gram or so at a time, and see how much weight you can put on her that way, and see if she does not regurge when she is eating pinks only.

Just a quick update. She has successfully kept 4 down so far. The last 2 meals were double, slit pinks. She is looking better all the time. I think its time to start a progression thread and give her a proper name.

My advice is be very, very, very careful now to not get carried away and cause another one. Proceed in very tiny steps.

Your snake has a VERY serious life threatening situation on your hands. And if you follow these simple steps I have suggested to many other folks in the past, your snake will very likely pull through if it is not too late already and go on to thrive like there's no tomorrow.

But you need to follow these simple steps to the very LETTER for it to work if you do not want to make it worse with more regurgitations. The tiny snake's body simply CANNOT afford any more regurges or it will be dead soon.

I have told people about this when their snakes were regurgitating, very imaciated, and literally on deaths doorstep. These people did exactly as I said to the letter and their snakes bounced back and were later pounding meals and put on three times their weight in no time after doing these very important things here. DO NOT attempt to feed it ANYTHING until you get it treated first, or it will simply regurge all over again!

I strongly suspect the problem to be bad microbial pathogens in the gut. If the snake was able to earlier get from an ambient cool temp of the mid 70's (comfortable human dwelling temps) to a warm side on ONE SIDE ONLY of it's small enclosure of around 82 to 86 and was still regurging, I suspect it likely has some intestinal microbial pathogens. This can happen from fouled water, etc..

A snake has to be able to seek slightly warmer temps when it needs to to be able to properly digest it's meals so the prey item doesn't putrify(rot) instead.

First,….DO NOT attempt to feed it more meals until it has been looked at, I strongly suspect it has some nasty intestinal bacteria from the putrid previous meals. I would imagine a two-dose regimen of Flagyl(metronidazole) administered by a vet could EASILY be all that is needed here. This treatment will kill the bad protozoa/pathogens as WELL as the GOOD bacteria that is needed for proper digestion, so STOP offering it any food until the snake has been looked at and helped. Feeding at this point will only lead to more regurges and a DEFINITE downward spiral that could easily end up killing it in short order. Offering food at this point is the WORST thing you could possibly do right now until you tackle the intestinal problem at the source.

Hopefully the vet will already know the proper course of action as I am about to explain, but MANY vets don't know diddly squat about reptile medicine whatsoever. The snake should get a dose of of Flagyl (Metronidazole) at the rate of 50 mg./per kg. of body weight given orally, and another follow-up dose 10 to 14 days later. NO FOOD should be offered until at LEAST a good week or so AFTER the last dose so the snake can replenish it's vital stomach acids, electrolytes, enzymes and gut flora before being fed again. And when it IS fed again, they should be very small meals for a while to make absolutely certain they stay down and are digested properly, you cannot afford for this to happen any more whatsoever.

After several VERY small meals, you could then GRADUALLY increase the size back to the size prey it was normally eating, just make sure you don't offer large meals after the dosing of the medication, Sometimes snakes develop this from fouled water too, so who knows, but I would bet a dollar to a donut some Flagyl at the proper dosing will take care of this. Flagyl is very reptile friendly too!

If it does not hold down it's next VERY tiny meal when given in two weeks, the snake will very likely be dead without the proper dosing of the Flagyl. This stuff works wonders when applied in the correct circumstances, and this could EASILY be one of them. I have administered Flagyl to snakes that have had this problem before in the past, and it works like magic!! Several years ago, I had a 300 gram Honduran start regurging meals seemingly out of nowhere, and did it again no matter how small the mice were. This was indeed time for immediate action to be taken. After I gave it the proper dosing of Flagyl (50 mg/per kg body weight),....BAM!, problem gone FOREVER! and it is now a huge 6 year old adult breeder female now that eats like no tomorrow every single time ever since I gave her the necessary medication to put her back on track.

hope the little snake gets better, because it's life all depends on what you do here,...it's really just as simple as that.

good luck!, ~Doug

Ooops!,...didn't even notice this was an older post, or the snake ate a couple meals and hopefully kept them down etc,...but in any case, please read my above post anyway regarding regurgitations, as it might just come in handy if it is not on it's way to a good recovery. This advice has saved many people's snake's lives in the past I am very happy to say.

Best of luck with the little guy!

cheers, ~Doug

Back