• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sunkissed motley question

Was just running some ideas through my head. Was curious if sk motley bred to another sk motley would produce a circle motley pattern with a sk head pattern. Or if the sk just cancels out the motley dorsal pattern

SK Motleys have been around for awhile. Not much is done with them because, well, they are disappointing and line breeding doesn't seem to change that. The only real noticeable differences between a SK and a Motley SK is the checkerless belly and the brighter hue of the Motley. Otherwise the patterning is pretty much the same, unlike the dramatic difference of the SK Stripe.

Terri

I do like my sunkissed motley :)

gaia_20120528.jpg

SK Motleys have been around for awhile. Not much is done with them because, well, they are disappointing and line breeding doesn't seem to change that. The only real noticeable differences between a SK and a Motley SK is the checkerless belly and the brighter hue of the Motley. Otherwise the patterning is pretty much the same, unlike the dramatic difference of the SK Stripe.

Terri

You may not be impressed with them, but a lot of other people are. And even if you don't dig the SK mots, the SK anery, amel, and honey mots look even better. I think the cleaned pattern suits them, as do a lot of people.

To answer OPs question, I think most SK mots are producing used homo x het parents. They aren't as common as some people might think.

Clarification: When I say disappointing I'm not saying I don't like/own/breed them. I have quite a few SK Motleys in my collection. The disappointment lies in the expectation of "Motley" were it classically doesn't exist. Most people I have dealt with what those lovely dots, dashes or hurricane patterns that don't commonly occur in SK Mots. I agree that if I were forced into a Sophia's Choice between my Honeys or my Honey Mots, I'd choose the Mots. Their color is cleaner and their head patterns are more intense. But when it comes to selling the results of breeding Homozygous or Heterozygous pairs it has the same effect. Most people don't see a difference. And my experience in selling morphs that I need to explain how they are different from their brethren without the Motley gene is disappointing. So disappointing that last year I wholesaled year old SK Motleys for lack of interest. I could not give them away. Sad really.
So unless the OP simply wants to play with the genes and has no expectations other than knowledge gained, I wouldn't recommend the project.

Terri

my only sk motley is ultra, and she's off to a home where she'll be better appreciated next week.

Attachments

• skfemterri.jpg
    skfemterri.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 41
Back