• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thermostat and UTH

shooterKD

OK, since I just got my corn snake on Sunday, I've got him in a temporary 10 gallon loaner tank from a friend. I wanna setup his permanent home as perfectly as possible. My biggest concern right now is the heating. I already know to go with an UTH and a thermostat to control it, but which brands are best and what am I looking at cost wise? I'm also getting a simple clip on type lamp, purely for light. I've already got a few cave/hides, the aspen bedding, a nice water dish, and some vines. I've also got 2 digital thermometers and a hygrometer.

Thanx and looking forward to some info and comments so that I can make the best decision.

Sounds pretty good so far. The ReptiTemp 500R is a decent single unit thermostat. They run about $25 online. I have 2 of them hooked up to Exo Terra Heatwave 10x11 UTHs. These are about $20. They work really well when room temps are steady and keep the viv within a 3*F range. I check mine once a day just to make sure they haven't changed much.

I've got some of my stuff off of ebay. The prices are nice and the shipping isn't that bad either. I got my thermostat for $16.55(this is with shipping included) and an UTH for $9.99 plus shipping(can't remeber the shipping cost for the UTH).If you're on a tight budget this might help.

Your plans sound fine. If the light is going inside the tank, make sure it has a guard around it so the Corn cn't come into contact with the bulb.

Corns don't need artificial light, so you can do away with it if you want to save some money.

As long as you can comfortably wear a t shirt in your house, I'd say ditch the UTH and thermostat, and just use a heat lamp with a 60 watt red bulb. Simple.

As long as you can comfortably wear a t shirt in your house, I'd say ditch the UTH and thermostat, and just use a heat lamp with a 60 watt red bulb. Simple.

I think you need to be a bit more scientific than that. If the ambient temperature in the house is that warm, then it's going to be very much hotter underneath an unregulated heat lamp inside the tank. Don't forget that a Corn's safe maximum temp (90 degrees), is lower than human body temp.

Any unregulated heat source is potentially dangerous, and 60 watt bulbs get hot enough to burn yourself on.

I'd stronglyrecommend a UTH + thermostat, plus an accurate way of measuring the temperature in the tank, for both warm and cool ends.

I think you need to be a bit more scientific than that. If the ambient temperature in the house is that warm, then it's going to be very much hotter underneath an unregulated heat lamp inside the tank. Don't forget that a Corn's safe maximum temp (90 degrees), is lower than human body temp.

Any unregulated heat source is potentially dangerous, and 60 watt bulbs get hot enough to burn yourself on.

I'd stronglyrecommend a UTH + thermostat, plus an accurate way of measuring the temperature in the tank, for both warm and cool ends.

I mean over the tank.

Originally Posted by bitsy

I mean over the tank.

Over or in the tank, my comments stand. I still think the tank will get dangerously hot if ambient temps are warm enough to be comfortable in a T-shirt and the lamp is unregulated.

If you're using this setup, what temps are you getting at substrate level immediately underneath the lamp?

Originally Posted by Nanci
I would not follow that advise...

I would. And so would a lot of people.

They're probably not on this board, I'm afraid.

Well, being in Toronto, it does get pretty cold here during the winter(which is where we're at right now). With the heat on in my apartment, sure I could wear a t-shirt all the time, but this isn't about me, it's about my snake and I have every intention of setting up his home properly and to the best of my ability. This means an UTH and thermostat... No "cutting corners" here to save a few buck or anything...

Thanx for the replies so far, now just gotta find the best supplier/prices around here...

Back