• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Twitching?

Cupkakes

I have a 2 year old (apprx.) Corn Snake, Rupert Ruby Eyes. We've had him for about 3 months now, he's probably about 3 feet long, half dollar in size around. He is the nicest man ever! He just shed the other day for the third time since we've had him. I notice it more so right after he sheds but when I rub him I guess in a way as if you were tickling someone. I rub all along his sides and back, but he's been twitching kinda like jumping when I touch him and shortly thereafter.

I've done some searching online, and the only solutions I have found has to deal with mating. But he's by himself, and the only other reptile I have is a Asian Water Monitor, and the two have never met. The other idea I have read about is a calcium deficiency, I've read it's common to see twitching in the legs of Bearded Dragons, Uromastyx and Chinese Water Dragons that have a calcium deficiency. However, I would think that Rupert is getting enough calcium from the live mice we feed him. He's at the stage of larger mice, can kind of handle a baby rat.

I just took him out and held him, he really only gets jumpy when he's in his cage. Once he's out hes totally fine. I really just want to make sure this is normal behavior, since he didn't do this at all up until recently, within the last month and it has gotten worse. He used to be a little jumpy every now and then, and it has progressed. I'm thinking maybe Calcium deficiency? Would it hurt to give him extra and see what happens? I have some Fluker's Calcium powder I cover the Water Monitor's pinky mice in and sprinkle some over whatever else I'm giving him. Of course unless it's a goldfish.

This is perfectly normal behaviour. It's either a mating response, or an aggression marker to warn you off.

Unless you're wearing some REALLY odd cologne (!), I'd say he's just a bit nervous about being picked up to start with, and doesn't like being tickled/rubbed.

Also, he's old enough to be feeling a mating urge, which could be why the behaviour has escalated recently - we're just entering the Corn breeding season. They can go into "mating mode" even if they're the only Corn for miles around.

It's definitely not a calcium deficiency - there's no need to give him a supplement. There's no link between how Beardies etc behave when calcium-deficient, and what you're seeing in your Corn.

Thanks for the info! I can definitely buy into the mating season deal. I mean really, just petting him, running the back of my fingers down his body he twitches and jumps around. So he must be "in the mood", and he's getting a little too excited. So... when is mating season over? LOL.

I have also noticed some funny behaviour with my big corn, he's roaming around his tank like no tomorrow and is all in all acting very strange. It must be spring fever.:p

My opinion is that he doesn't like your touch. Snakes never "enjoy" us handling them, they just tolerate it. He may just still be getting to know you and once he does then he'll stop twitching and pulling away from your touch.

Also, did you say that you feed him live mice?

Have to disagree with you there, I have seen snakes that willingly crawl into their keepers hand, or react to being stroked under their lower jaw.
I simply refrain from giving an absolute answer, I saw behaviors that can suggest both options.

Yes, my corn has also been VERY active within the last couple days. Constantly trying to find a way out of his cage more than usual. However, it is feeding day, and yes we feed him live mice. We have a separate glass case that we feed Rupert in, he does not eat where he spends his time. There is a fine line between feeding dead or live, as far as whats right or humane. I feel it is natural for a snake to eat live prey, that's what they do in nature. I don't feel it's my right to take away his hunting and killing instincts. I definitely don't dig watching it! And so far, we haven't had any problems with mice fighting back at all. We had the one baby rat we tried to upgrade him too. He wasn't ready for it, a little too much for him to handle. The baby rat actually bit Rupert, my boyfriend stepped in immediately, flicked the rat in the head really hard a couple times and knocked him out. And luckily the bite did not harm Rupert at all, didn't break the skin. He has been downgraded back to adult mice.

And as far as not liking human touch, I think it depends on the snake. They all ave different personalities. Rupert actually loves scratches, when he's moving around like crazy wanting to go if we are holding him and pet him with your fingers he mellows right down and relaxes!

Back