• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What time during the year do you breed and why?

Emscornsnake

Just want to see the many answers and see why you choose to breed that time of year. I have seen some poeple post they have eggs now, or their eggs just hatched.

I start breeding my corn snakes normally in March. I do this because when it gets cold outside my windows draft like crazy so my room can come down to 60 degrees F. So it kinda helps me bring the temp down in the snakes enclosure. Then normally in early March my room starts to warm back up so I then I start feeding my snakes again, and I sure we all know what happens after that.

But wanted to see everyones preference.

First, It is perfectly normal to start introductions in March. We usually start introductions about that time.

However, we have already introduced our pairs because there is a big reptile show in early to mid June that we would like to vend at. Most of our eggs hatched the last few years in late June(with a couple of exceptions). We want to see if we could get a head start on things. We have had a couple of pairs that I beleive have hooked up and one confirmed so far, so we think we are off to a good start.

Josh,
Love the Avatar change.... You are the "Mad Hatter" of this forum.

I have seen some poeple post they have eggs now, or their eggs just hatched.
I'd have thought that either the breeder is in the southern hemisphere (which makes our winter their breeding season), has taken effort to control photoperiods/ feeding/ brumation etc to encourage early mating and ovulation, or that eggs have resulted from an accidental mating.

I've had fertile eggs laid in November, but this was by a rescue shortly after arriving and I don't know her history. Assume she was cohabbed and nature took care of the rest...

It's pretty difficult to make Corns breed when nature dictates that they naturally wouldn't (in the wild, there's no point hatchlings emerging when they have nothing to eat).

Back