• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Scaleless corns?

Zombiegirl

Has anyone heard of these? I found a listing on kingsnake.com for "scaleless corns" and I was curious if anyone had heard of them before?

Yes, I have heard of them and from what I have read they are hybrids. Personally, I don't find them appealing but everyone has different opinions.

Despite their names, scaleless corns do have scales- only ventral though ^^

I saw some at a show and quite frankly, they looked ugly to me. Scaleless beardies I can deal with but the scaleless corns, or scaleless snakes in general, just don't look right.

I for one LOVE them. If you do a search on here, there have been some really good threads about them.

The originators openly admit that they're a hybrid with the Scaleless Texas Ratsnake. That's how they originally came into being.

Yes, that is 100% CORRECT!,.....even if not openly-admitted, the Texas Rat was the first original type in the hobby, then scaleless "cornsnakes" magically appeared soon after from the very same source..LOL!

......yeah, riiiiiiight! just like there are genuine amel "alterna" in the hobby as well..:roflmao:

~Doug

I for one LOVE them. If you do a search on here, there have been some really good threads about them.

I have to agree with you there. I think I like the pattern better on them, like I think it stands out more.

But everyone has their own opinions.

The originators openly admit that they're a hybrid with the Scaleless Texas Ratsnake. That's how they originally came into being.

That's not the information I know of them. Actaully I've never heard of ANY one admitting they were from the breeding of a Scaleless Texas Rat.
I would like to see/read those writtings.

Brian B. of B.H.B Enterprises was the first to have them here in the states and I have personally talked with Brian in Daytona about these. It's my understanding they are hybrids but were originated by someone over the pond from the breeding of a Corn Snake X Emory Rat...........which the scaleless corns are no different
(other than being scaleless) than Rootbeers and Creamsicles and actually more to the corn snake side due to re-breeding with other morph corn snakes.

Here is a link to the website of the originator of the scaleless corns that shows different morphs of scaleless corns.
http://www.reptilis.com/collection.php
Just click on the "Scaleless Swatch" on the site after using the link.

I think they are amazing looking. Kinda like their patterns/colors were airbrushed or tattooed on.

Walter
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

I really like Scaleless Texas Ratsnakes! We have a ton at work and we will be breeding them this year! One of my main responsibilities is actually caring for our Scaleless and feeding them up to size for breeding! They are all different, some almost look Anery and some are just intense reds! They are really stunning animals.

As far as I know, the Scaleless Cornsnake is a hybrid of the Texas ratsnake. I could be wrong. I'll have to go back and cite my source once I remember where I heard it!

I wish they were not called corn snakes.
They are NOT corn snakes.

I would like them alot more if they were not hybrids.

I wish they were not called corn snakes.
They are NOT corn snakes.

I would like them alot more if they were not hybrids.

I couldn't agree more......I would like all of the snakes in the hobby more if they were not hybrids... :laugh01:

The $2,000 dollar ad I saw recently for completely bogus amel "Gray-Banded" alterna x ruthveni cross would be just one example of the countless "imposter" snakes out there in today's hobby... :dancer:

Oh, did I mention the ad title stated "albino Gray-Banded kings"??..HAHAHA!!

Anyway, I could make a roll-out list of bogus crap I see out there every single day, but why bother... :shrugs:

~Doug

Hybrid or not, I find the look of the scaleless quite interesting! Thanks Walter for the link! I thoroughly enjoyed looking at the photos of the different morphs and found it quite difficult to choose a favorite! I would REALLY love to see either a coral ghost or salmon snow (JMG type) in scaleless, as well as what dilute anery would look like!

Hybrid or not, I find the look of the scaleless quite interesting! Thanks Walter for the link! I thoroughly enjoyed looking at the photos of the different morphs and found it quite difficult to choose a favorite! I would REALLY love to see either a coral ghost or salmon snow (JMG type) in scaleless, as well as what dilute anery would look like!

You are very welcome Susan. All those scaleless morphs are pretty amazing looking huh?
I would like to (and we probably will eventually) see ALOT more different morphs of scaleless, but I agree, I bet a Coral and Salmon Scaleless would be something !!

Walter

That's not the information I know of them. Actaully I've never heard of ANY one admitting they were from the breeding of a Scaleless Texas Rat.
I would like to see/read those writtings.

Brian B. of B.H.B Enterprises was the first to have them here in the states and I have personally talked with Brian in Daytona about these. It's my understanding they are hybrids but were originated by someone over the pond from the breeding of a Corn Snake X Emory Rat...........which the scaleless corns are no different
(other than being scaleless) than Rootbeers and Creamsicles and actually more to the corn snake side due to re-breeding with other morph corn snakes.

Here is a link to the website of the originator of the scaleless corns that shows different morphs of scaleless corns.
http://www.reptilis.com/collection.php
Just click on the "Scaleless Swatch" on the site after using the link.

I think they are amazing looking. Kinda like their patterns/colors were airbrushed or tattooed on.

Walter

Close but not quiet. The owner did in fact "admit" it but I hate the wording, it sounds as if he was intentionally trying to mislead people. The cross was made in France and it was made utilizing an emoryi x corn. Due to the lack of parental heritage, some what poor record keeping and the fact he did not keep the adults, the world will never know if it came from the corn or the emoryi.

Below I have pasted the article from the originators web site. It was in French and I used an online translator so forgive any mistakes but you get the jist of the article. I corresponded with the breeder and he again confirmed everything in the article but that is when I found out he didn't have the adults to test who the gene originated from.

(Pantherophis guttatus) account today among the Reptiles embl�matiques of Terrariophilie. Of modest, robust size, coloured and equipped with a peaceful temperament, this Grass snake took a place of choices in the heart of impassioned. Moreover, its facility of breeding in made a pioni�re in the era of the genetic change.

There exists today in this Snake of many selections of breeding and genetic changes (called �phases�.) They are often at the origin the fruit of hazard, and thereafter the result of a meticulous person work of selection or a learnedly carried out calculation.

With regard to Patherophis guttatus, until recently, the work concerned either the colors (�albino�, �anerythristic�, �hypomelanstic�, etc), or on the reasons for the dress (�motley�, �striped�, �diffused�, etc) Moreover, it was possible to combine all these results, which made exponential the genetics of this Couleuvre sympathetic nerve.

It is in the United States, country original of the species that the breeding of the Snake of corns took its rise (since the Sixties.) Then, the phenomenon gained Europe and many other countries, so that today of the breedings exist everywhere. As regards innovation, the American stockbreeders have had the monopoly thanks to their long experiment raise all the same the Snake of Corns for soon fifty years!

However, many time, the work of the European stockbreeders held quite beautiful surprises in the breeding of Pantherophis guttatus, thus contributing to the success of this adventure in the whole world.

On the basis of this report, it is easy to realize that the project of breeding related to the Snake of corns will haunt the nights agitated of the terrariophiles during many years!

The phenomenon �scaleless�

The term �scaleless� means �without scales.�

Is a Snake without scales, this possible? How can one imagine such handicap for an Animal of which in fact to have scales on all the body allowed that it divides our planet since approximately 140 million years?

During all this time, its scales enabled him to move effectively in any type of medium and even in water (what, without member or fin was not an obviousness.)

They are also an invaluable shield against the wounds, bites and others attacks of parasites.

Lastly, that to say role of the scales in the organization of delivered guaranteeing the camouflage at many species?

Finally, without its invaluable scales, our Snake would not have can be known to find its place and to keep it within the evolution of the esp�cs!

And yet, and yet�

An upsetting event.

Impassioned by the Animals and in particular the Snakes since childhood, I discovered Terrariophilie at the end of the years four twenties. I then did not have any intention to reproduce my boarders who were �blows of heart " bought in animalery. It should be also said that, at that time, for a simple amateur, the simple fact of managing to keep in captivity of the Reptiles in good health on a long term constituted already a beautiful challenge.

My first births only came well later, in 1998, with a reproduction of royal Pythons obtained by chance. At this time there I maintained inter alia Pantherophis guttatus and Pantherophis emoryi which were still classified in subspecies of the Snake of corns. (One named them at the time �Elaphe guttata guttata� and �Elaphe guttata emoryi�.)

Union of two of these Grass snakes, a �guttata� and a �emoryi� came a laying of which many eggs did not develop . Let us recall that, at that time, my Animals were not prepared at all with the reproduction, as well on the plan of the nourrissage as of that of the hibernation, which could explain the poor result.

On three only alive eggs at the end of the incubation, babies of the type �emoryi� left. There thus remained an egg to be hatched. Four days passed. Then, the evening of the fourth day, throwing a rapid glance with my incubator, I live my bored egg and a strange head which exceeded some.
At the time, I pr�tais only little attention there; it is the following day that I was going to have the surprise of my life�

When, the next morning, this famous October 4, 2002, I returned to my incubator, the Snake had not always left his egg. I observed it more closely and it seemed to to me strange, with its funny of pale muzzle. I had a presentiment of something of really abnormal but it was impossible for me to know of what it acted.
It is only in end according to midday that, tortured by impatience, I cracked and decided to leave it his egg. I knew that it was disadvised doing it but it was stronger than me, I could not wait more.

Using a scissors to nails, I increased the crack made by the Snake, then I split the wrinkled shell over almost all his length. I realized that quelquechose clochait: the Snake had an aspect bizzare, as if it had not completed its development. However, it was indeed alive and ready to leave!

With an infinite precaution, I it left egg and I have a first shock: its colors and its reasons were unusual. It was difficult to describe. There was yellow, the purple one, more or less clear gray and all that tended to mix. The tasks also were surprising: they met between them, zigzaged and formed sometimes lines on the sides. But it was especially this muzzle sharp blue-sky which woke up my attention. The head, it, had a colour green-bluish with nuances violets. I was insane of joy: how could one hope for such colors on a simple �Gutt�?

I installed my treasure in a small plastic box of type �Fauna box ", valorous ancestor of me current boxes of breeding, with paper essuie all and small a ramequin of water.

One hour later, I returned to see my Snake which seemed perfectly to have recovered from this intervention. The weather was very nice there this day and the luminosity of my part was optimal. I decided to handle it one second time. I delicately taken it in my hands and I went close to the window in order to places to benefit from it. I have at this time precise the shock of my life: this Snake had the naked skin.

Back