• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bloodred Stripe or normal stripe?

Oh oh I see it!! Based on this, I *think* Kato is homo bloodred, but will check again when I get home...

Nanci,

Great photo and reference thread. I think everyone can clearly see what I was referring to with respect to clear scales. My adult bloods all have these clear parts to their scales, it's just not as distinct as in the hatchlings. Using this method it should make animals coming from stripe het blood parents easier to identify.

Mitch

Many thanks to Mitch and Nanci! I've been concerned that when I finally get some good babies from my pair of hypo motleys het diffuse caramel stripe that I would have trouble identifying what was what. Now I have more information to help in that identification! One question, all the examples have been with homo stripes. Does the clear belly checks work in identifying the homo diffuse hatchlings when motley is involved (homo and het with stripe)?

Exactly. You can see it very well in the last photo posted by Susan. Mitch, have you found that the translucent scales persist into adulthood?

Very likely that is not the case. At least not with all adults.
I have 100%, without doubt, adult Bloods, Fire, Pewter, Striped Bloods, Plasma Stripe, etc. that do not show translucent scales.

Very likely that is not the case. At least not with all adults.
I have 100%, without doubt, adult Bloods, Fire, Pewter, Striped Bloods, Plasma Stripe, etc. that do not show translucent scales.

Ahhh!, that is very interesting to know, because I was wondering about some adults not having quite the predisposition(or even not at at all) for displaying any translucent mid-ventrals as adults. Of course it would REALLY be interesting to know what your known homo adult's belly's looked like as hatchlings. Certain snake's clear/translucence does seem to thicken up and turn a more solid white as they mature and the scales become much thicker.

Still a very interesting indicator nonetheless, and it would seem to at least GREATLY help with identifying a good majority of questionable un-known homo blood/diffused in the hobby if nothing else. I am really looking forward to the word on this being more knownto everyone in the cornsnake hobby to get more comparisons as time goes on.

~Doug

Guess I'll have to go through my photos for hatchling bloodred ventrals! I know I have some, but it will have to wait until I have free time this week-end. I have lots of work to do on the hospital's website for the start of the new year...Oh Joy! (sarcastic font)

Lots of my blood stripe babies from 2011 are staying in the CS family so they will be available for comparison as adults, but getting acceptable ventral pics is a whole other thing...

Lots of my blood stripe babies from 2011 are staying in the CS family so they will be available for comparison as adults, but getting acceptable ventral pics is a whole other thing...

I'll take that challenge, bloodred belly progression thread. Ha ha

Back