• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sexual Dimorphism in corn snake morphs...

chris68

Arundel Reptiles
This has been debated over the years. Lavenders, ghosts and anery A's have all been mentioned as being "easy to tell" between males and females. Any thoughts?

Easy opener, guess the morph and sexes...

IMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

I have a slight twist: (Those are from my old computer- the colors are identical, even if they don't look like it).

Attachments

• Violet Arrives 004cr.jpg
    Violet Arrives 004cr.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Violet Reg Pics 002cracr.jpg
    Violet Reg Pics 002cracr.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Jacinto Arrives 002cr.jpg
    Jacinto Arrives 002cr.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Jacinto Reg Pics 003cracr.jpg
    Jacinto Reg Pics 003cracr.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 135
I emailed either Rich H. or Don about this critter's pattern and he knew right off the top that it was a female...

DSC_0318.jpg

I emailed either Rich H. or Don about this critter's pattern and he knew right off the top that it was a female...

From the black/grey colors vs a male's more "earth toned" colors. You see it enough in some morphs that it's neat to talk about :*)

It can happen in snows too. I have a bubblegum snow and she is a very light powder pink with neon green saddles. But her brothers are hot pink with neon green saddles.

lol Nanci, i'm gonna say banded corns, and the first one looks lighter, so that's the male...?...

edit: Nope you said they're identical in color, so by head pattern I'll say female, male

I'm going to say lav or hypo lav (het blood) and like Chris, going by head pattern female, male. I've noticed blood het tends to be more obvious in males....that said, for some reason the photos look familiar and if I remember correctly then my previous guess is wrong...:awcrap:

EDIT: I was going to guess ghost on Chris' babies, as my ghost hatchlings have all looked like that and my lavenders have been more orange/purple as babies

Alabama's, although they generally don't show their full color until they adults. Every silver/grey Alabama I have seen has been female, I have yet to see anyone who has found a male with this color. The males tend to be more of a bronze/tan color, unless they snake is a cross between another morph, then they seem to end up with the tan background.
The first two pics are locality, the second two are from an Alabama X Hypo Okeetee cross.
The first two, you can tell which is female, which is male...the second two, they're virtually identical.

Attachments

• 007mica.jpg
    007mica.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 015 (2)silber.jpg
    015 (2)silber.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20110118_93tane.jpg
    20110118_93tane.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 047tora.jpg
    047tora.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 83
Nice pics Heather, how cool to possibly tie it to a locality.
Thanks! Buzz & Jamie now have Mica & Katzen to continue w/ the Alabama projects.

Mica, the first pic was wc in 2007, Silber, the male is one of her offspring, she was gravid when she was caught.

Katzen, the female offspring of Mica's, from the same clutch that Silber was from, hadn't developed her coloring to the extent that Mica was, when I first got them. She (Katzen) has developed more coloring & looks a lot like Mica.

Attachments

• 028katzen.jpg
    028katzen.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 79
This has been debated over the years. Lavenders, ghosts and anery A's have all been mentioned as being "easy to tell" between males and females.

Yeah, sure, uh-huh...

Lavender Coral Ghost Vanishing Pattern 2012 kids

Attachments

• 13lavnCGVP 010.jpg
    13lavnCGVP 010.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 13lavnCGVP 008.jpg
    13lavnCGVP 008.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 159
  • 13lavnCGVP 006.jpg
    13lavnCGVP 006.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 13lavnCGVP 004.jpg
    13lavnCGVP 004.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 13lavnCGVP 002.jpg
    13lavnCGVP 002.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 77
Mine are lavender masques, female first. You can see the split checkers on both, and the male has the head pattern. (They are het pewter stripe).

OK, guys--a newbie here--what is the difference in head pattern between the males and females you mention, if you would be so kind as to further my education!

Speaking of the Masque gene: roughly quoting Charles Pritzel, from the 2011 Cornsnake Morph Guide- the masque gene, like all pattern genes, is highly variable. It may be undetectable or go unnoticed in females, and is treated as if it is fully expressed in males.

The ground color is expanded on the head, and the head making is a skull shape, with eyes the same color as the saddles. [particularly, in my example, look at the difference in width of the found-color band going between the eyes of the snake. Thin in the female, thick in the male]

Masque is thought to be dominant, and when you see a snake with a totally bald head, that is thought to be homozygous.

(In my lavender siblings, the ground color is the light cream color, and the saddle color is the mocha/reddish color)

Back