• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

OMG what are those popping up?!

There are two of them, Eric!!
True. Hmmm. Yes. Quite puzzling. Although there being two, rules out a number of things. I was thinking more in the "bizarre" direction than in the "new morph" direction.
Here's a cool article about inbreeding at VMS Herp.

You can't establish a genetic mutation without inbreeding. That includes all the cornsnake color morphs. You inbreed or linebreed to establish the trait, and then outcross to improve vigor. It's common in many animals- dogs, horses, reptiles...
And yes, Nanci is right in her usual profound and succinct way. We wouldn't have the AKC, Eukanuba, or Westminster dog shows if linebreeding and inbreeding had not led to the standardization of so many dog breeds back in the 19th century.

I also have another daughter, I plan to breed her to her father too next year anyway, and she is amelanistic :) :drool:

About the pattern: I think most corns are like that beneath their scales, look at the scaleless corns, they all have perfect circular blotches as far as I can see from pics. The scales usaully mess up the edges though.

I think we need Robbie to go take macro pics of the scales! Have you noticed how they vary in size?

They are tiniest on the sides of the neck, and somehwat larger along the spine. but I think that's with all corns, right?

What I mean is there are tiny scales mixed in with the "regular-sized" (for these animals) scales, together!

Lovely of you Robby, can I place an order through you for some awesome American bred corns if you're crossing the ocean anyway? :spinner:

That is actually extremely cool, providing that the snakes grow up nice and healthy (which I expect them too)

The only thing that worries me about this is the fatality rate of the clutch. Do you think that was related to the tinyscale gene or not? (if it is a genetic thing at all)

Well, if the ones that died were tiny scaled ones, I would have thought; low chance of survival for them. But all baby's that died in the egg, except perhaps one that was too small to check, had normal scales. Since the father and mother are het for it, and healthy as can be, I can't conclude that snakes 'het for tiny scaled' can't make it. At the other hand, two eggs crumpled after a couple of days, maybe those were tiny scaleds too, but still: why would almost all normals die and two of the mutated ones live?

By the way, one tiny scaled one ate half an hour ago :) The other one not (yet) but that one seems a little blueish.

Back