• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cohabbing Misfortunes.

Does 32 qrt means 8 gallon? 106 means 26.5 gallon?

Well, my regular sized adults corns are in 30 gallons (6 x 6 x 3 = 108 liter).My large male corn is in a 46 gallon on its own. I guess I'm doing something right...

Elroyo, what's the third dimension of your rack tubs sized?

Does 32 qrt means 8 gallon? 106 means 26.5 gallon?

Well, my regular sized adults corns are in 30 gallons (6 x 6 x 3 = 108 liter).My large male corn is in a 46 gallon on its own. I guess I'm doing something right...

Elroyo, what's the third dimension of your rack tubs sized?

The main thing people tend to look at, at least over here, is floor space. Not so much volume. I have my adult corn snake in a 41 quart tub, which is around 34" by 16" if I remember correctly. It's almost the same amount of floorspace as a 40 gallon Breeder style tank, just not as tall.

What are the dimensions of your cohabbing vivs? Length, width, height. A 46 gallon whatever can be any shape. It can be tall with narrow floorspace, which would be inappropriate for most corns. Or it could be short and long, a perfect cube, or anything in between.

I still don't agree with cohabbing, at least not in less than the ultimate ideal conditions. To give you some perspective, Christen has mentioned in the past that she cohabbed two female corns in a 110 gallon, I believe it was... Well, a 100+ gallon tank usually measures at 6 feet long. The size enclosure that you cohab two boas in. This is what any of us here would consider minimum to even begin entertaining the idea of cohabbing a couple corn snakes. It doesn't save you any space over just giving them each their own 3 foot enclosure, which is the whole point... They each have a space large enough to live comfortably without necessarily having to venture into the other's territory, if they so desire.

Whoops, didn't mean to get into the actual debate. Oh well, there's my $.02, anyway. Carry on... *fetches more popcorn*

I know floor space is most important, that is why my co-habbing vivs are 90 x 60 x 30 cm. I just wanted to check if people actually realized the size of my vivs, because I was a little surprised to find out that apparently the USA minimum size is a 20L.

OH yey, here we go again.
That is definitely not big enough to house two corns in. Talk with those that have cohabbed correctly, and they will tell you the snakes never come near each other, so why even bother trying to force the issue?

Beat me to it.

That tank is far too small for even considering cohabbing.

They do not to it in nature, unless forced by weather or some other conditions, they do enjoy it. It is against the core behavior of corn snakes.

Hey where is that dead horse animation or video thingy?

Sadly I think some people just don't get. The unfortunate thing is some new person will come along and read "if all the above cautions are observed". They don't read the rest of the thread or really understand those cautions.

Oh I am not talking about you all pointing out his completely flawed points. I was talking about him digging up an old thread that has been dead since Sept. Then repeated everything in the thread just to say it is ok to co-hab. I am not sure if it was an attempt to bring up a hot topic or what but since he has deleted his comment I can't re-read it.

Oh! why do people do that if you say something at least defend it or don't say it, but to delete it, eh.:puke01:

Sadly I think some people just don't get. The unfortunate thing is some new person will come along and read "if all the above cautions are observed". They don't read the rest of the thread or really understand those cautions.
True Susang. I don't cohab not because I have room and don't need to, but because I feel snakes are more solitary type creatures. I have come across more wild snakes then most folks have seen tame, being I'm in the woods more then 9 months out of the year. with the exception of breeding snakes I have never seen 2 together. Does this mean they don't enjoy company from time to time, Who knows for certain they cant tell us. I tend to let what I see tell me. someone mentioned regurges this is a serious problem with cohabing snakes if all feed the same day, 2 days pass no more lump then Who did it becomes a mystery at best. This is a problem for a friend of mine who has 3 tanks 4 snakes each. his snakes regurge possibly due to the stress of living together I know he doesn't touch them after feeding for 4 days not even to freshen water still at least one will regurge every snake he owns has done it at one point or another. That being said I do notice when i go there all his snakes are under the same hide. My thought on that is its where they need to be since its always on the warm side. If they all need to be warm it stands to reason they will all be there. So far none of his snakes have eaten one another but he has lost a few to regurge issues. He cant afford to have 12 tanks and wouldn't have room for it anyhow. Since he has 20L tanks and small snakes I suggested he section them off even using cardboard would work it would give his snakes some time to get out of regurging while he saved the money to build a rack I have a small rack for hatchlings I just completed, it can hold 18 snakes and is only 4 foot long 1 foot wide and 1.5 foot tall that's just a little larger then a 20L I am going to bring him to my house this weekend to show it to him total price to build including heating tape and tubs $120.00. I will post pics when I get it all set up and running will be in the DIY section full Material and price list. Hopefully i can talk him into letting me build one for him.

Just to ad I do agree with the points that have been brought up. The cage at 4x1 is far to small. If you see one of my post towards the beginning of this thread the tank that I used was about 6ftx20inx2ft. And that was just for 2 snakes as well.

The other point of how do you know that the snakes like it, is right on the money as well. During my experiment of co-habbing the snakes lived together with no issues with the other however because they had a large area with many similar hides they chose not to be in the same one. They didn't cuddle or share a space unless they were passing by each other. Or once I did see they drinking out of the same bowl.

With everything I have seen they sometimes will live together if forced, but why do it if they are perfectly happy and healthy being separate?

Oh! why do people do that if you say something at least defend it or don't say it, but to delete it, eh.:puke01:

I don't know. It is very frustrating.

This is an old thread but in cases like that most of the time both animals die....it would regurge but more often it just dies from eating too much.

This is an old thread but in cases like that most of the time both animals die....it would regurge but more often it just dies from eating too much.

Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't see the date on the last post until after I posted mine. Thanks for replying anyway. No need for further response. Thread can go back into the grave now.

Back