• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First live mouse for my corn

I didn't have a problem with the video. If you feed live or pre killed people still react the same. I have had several people want to see my snakes eat. I feed F/T. The reactions are the same as in some youtube videos, about how disgusting it is for a snake to eat like that. I have had people come watch and not like it, walk away, only to come back a few minutes later to see how the progress is going. In the end they are usually amazed that a snake can eat like that. Should I not allow others to see how snakes eat? Should that be private? Maybe everyone that feeds their dog should make sure that the dish is out of sight so no one else can see it eat. People love their animals and want to show them off doing all sorts of different things, eating is one of them. I have seen many videos of corns on youtube and eating is not the only thing they are filmed doing. Many of the ones where the snakes are not eating also have loud music. If the music is the issue - why are not these others put into the same category as the OP? I pull out my snakes in front of my wife's friends and they scream (I'm sure that there's a video like that somewhere on the internet too); are those people told to remove their videos? My personal opinion is that pictures of snakes eating are more disgusting then videos (what human wants a picture of them about to take a bite, mouth wide opened, posted for everyone to see – not my wife, but a video of them eating just seems normal). Videos are a lot more fluid than a still shot. Bottom line is that some people (not all) show their pride in their pets with photos/videos doing different things. If you don’t like the videos, don’t watch them! That’s one of the reasons there are so few TV shows that I watch.

I hate to bump this thread, but there is at least one "report post" that came from it, so I want to address it. I think we can discuss things like this more civilly. I saw good points from both sides, but unfortunately these points were often couched in needlessly inflammatory language.

I'll confess-- I repped Catherine (Jynx). I agree that the OP was treated too harshly, and I'm no anti-live-feeding crusader. I have a few snakes that demand supervised live feedings. I used to feed a moderately-sized collection on live exclusively.

I never watch those kinds of videos because I've seen enough live feedings, and I don't enjoy watching them anyway. It was a different story when I was a teen. If I had had video equipment and internet video-hosting capabilities as a teen, there's a good chance that I may have posted something similar. Of course, I would have used a better song-- maybe "The End" by The Doors. ;)

Still, I have to say that I didn't like the setup the OP used for the feeding, or some of the OP's methods. I'm surprised he wasn't bitten when he was manipulating the snake after the prey item had already been introduced. And I'm surprised that the mouse didn't just jump out of that shallow box. Catching the mouse wouldn't have been fun, and avoiding getting tagged while containing the snake with the scent of mouse in the air would have taken some luck...

This entire place is going downhill from what I can tell

Unfortunately, you've come back to join us right in the middle of Boring Winter. Almost all of the babies are gone, the adults are brumating- there is no mating to photograph, no eggs to care for. All people have to do is bicker. It's a forum season. Similarly, you can tell it's summer and school is out when the number of strange, pointless childish threads suddenly increases.

Which is not to say the discussion isn't worthwhile. People just have more time on their hands for "debate."

Yep I agree too with both sides. I, like Dean mentioned, would also have done the same thing at a certain point in my life too. When I got my first snake, I wouldn't have even known there was a risk of putting the hobby in a bad light, so to speak, or that snake people wouldn't have enjoyed watching the video.. Live and learn I guess!
My soundtrack wouldn't have made much sense. Probably would've been something like VU's 'Who loves the sun?' Then we'd all be scratching our heads, lol.

Hopefully the OP understands that the argument wasn't really meant to be personal (ok, that's what I believe anyway) but that many of us have been disturbed anonymously by such vids, then when he posted here, he probably just opened those flood gates..
Hopefully the OP sticks around so we get to know him apart from a silly impression of a short video!!

Last edited:
I once had to feed my corn a live mouse, it was because my neighbors cat bought a live field mouse into her kitchen and it tried to bite me so I let my snake get it.

Not a good idea- any wild-caught mouse is going to be swarming with parasites, to pass on to your snake...

I once had to feed my corn a live mouse, it was because my neighbors cat bought a live field mouse into her kitchen and it tried to bite me so I let my snake get it.
And this vicious mouse HAD to be controlled by your snake?

And this vicious mouse HAD to be controlled by your snake?

Tell your neighbors cat it's cheaper to buy them in bulk frozen..:sidestep:

Both of these are soooo full of WIN. :cheers:

funny how they play metal music when the rodents are being fed to the snakes

Yeah, I'll have lived when I see one of these clips on YouTube with a Strauss waltz as background music. :dancer:

Dale

Back