• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hides with a Rack system?

Firefur

so here's a potentially stupid question. i was at my local reptile store and they mentioned that because of how dark the inside of a reptile basic iris CB-70 rack is i dont need hides. is that true?

I have my babies in Reptile Basics racks, so- dark inside. The babies all have toilet paper tubes or toothpaste boxes, flattened, and all either use those or burrow under the substrate.

It isn't the darkness that is the most attractive feature for the snake, it's the close fit. You can see this demonstrated when reptile exhibits offer clear glass plates as hides. You'll see coral snakes curled up cozily beneath the glass, right in broad daylight. The snake feels the enclosed space, and thinks it is in a safe place.

I have my babies in Reptile Basics racks, so- dark inside. The babies all have toilet paper tubes or toothpaste boxes, flattened, and all either use those or burrow under the substrate.

It isn't the darkness that is the most attractive feature for the snake, it's the close fit. You can see this demonstrated when reptile exhibits offer clear glass plates as hides. You'll see coral snakes curled up cozily beneath the glass, right in broad daylight. The snake feels the enclosed space, and thinks it is in a safe place.

^^ Yup, this. Snakes do have a preference for finding a close space to feel secure in, not necessarily the light vs. dark.

For my adults, I just use empty Kleenex boxes in my rack, plus I use large molded plastic water bowls with space underneath for hiding. Babies have TP tubes and molded plastic bowls.

Also, not a stupid question at all! In fact, good on you for using some critical thinking on the subject and looking for answers. :)

I use empty yogurt cups turned upside-down with a hole cut in one side for baby snakes; they love it, and it fits well into a rack system. Although, for adult corns, if the cage is cozy enough, a hide isn't necessarily a must. Depends on the snakes; both of my adults just use the newspaper to hide under.

I use hides in my AP Rack. My Cal King seems content, though, to hang out up front - watching everything that's going on. My corns use the hides a lot.

The little hides RBI makes are my favorite. Easy to clean, stack-able, and lightweight. Minis, mediums, and large size are all you will need with corns. The others are too tall for their preference: http://www.reptilebasics.com/hide-boxes

Back