• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I NEED HELP ASAP!

The vet isn't sure if she can do a lavage because the snake is so tiny (only 11grams at 8 months old) so she has him giving him pedialite over the weekend and starting him on a slurry and antibiotics and returning Monday morning for tests because the office doesn't run tests over the weekend.

He has to take it back Monday for the vet to try to lavage it, and it's getting Carnivore Care and antibiotics. I think. I wish he could get a Merifluor test for crypto...

Sorry I should have updated on here about the visit, I have to take him back Monday morning to get the samples taken. The only things the vet said at the appointment was how tiny the snake is and didn't know if we could get gastric lavage sample from it or not. She also said he was thin but not emaciated looking yet and wasn't dehydrated. Her opinion was that we are not dealing with crypto but are going to test it to rule it out.
He weighed 11 grams with a slit pinkie in him. when I weighed him here empty he weighed ten grams and when I weighed him full he weighed 12 grams. So I think her scales or mine one was off a gram. The other hatchlings weighed 9, 11, 12 grams respectively when i weighed them empty. I wish I had had a set of scales when they came in because they have not missed a meal here (well the sick one has)
There is something odd about the sick one and a female amel's behavior that I can't put my finger on here. I know all snakes will try to find escape routes out of thier boxes but even after a meal those two will spend hours in one corner usually the same corner trying to escape I guess just back and forth in the same spot. It reminds me of the behavior you see in zoo animals where they shift back and forth. The snakes have hides maybe is just me being paranoid. The adult female will also do it but not to the same degree.
So anyways, Monday samples will be taken for crypto and to send off to be cultured to test for other things. Will update as soon as I get results back.
Thank you all for everything
bob

Have they been showing this behaviour since they got sick or did it start later? Maybe it's medication related, as in a side effect?

They have been doing if for a while, neither is on any meds that would cause it. The only thing they have been getting until this week when he goes back to the vet is nutribac. Thank you for your response any words of wisdom are more than welcome.

What snake are you talking about the last baby snake you have left? Gee, this is so strange. Have you ever heard back from the breeder? That snake must be some tiny as Buddy was 20 grams when we brought him home a few months ago...he now weighs33 grams.

When snakes are that tiny, should they be only eating half a pinkie? Have a customer who brought back a tiny corn as it hasn't eaten in two weeks. I looked at it today, and it seems fine and doesn't look dehydrated. I am wondering if the snake should be fed a pinkie cut in half? Could it be that the pinkie is too big for that tiny of snake and that's why it won't take it?

Several neurotransmitter disturbances in humans cause that sort of behavior.
A main symptom of schizophrenia is holding weird positions and doing weird repetitive behaviors.
This also happens with the use of 'uppers', such as cocaine.

It could be related to the immune system in snakes, i.e. when they are fighting an infection blood flow is diverted from the brain, causing a lower neurotransmitter reuptake, therefore causing the strange behavior.

Or, it could be more chronic or serious.

Wow... I kinda sound like I know something ;)
I'm not sure about anything I just said, just a theory.

What snake are you talking about the last baby snake you have left? Gee, this is so strange. Have you ever heard back from the breeder? That snake must be some tiny as Buddy was 20 grams when we brought him home a few months ago...he now weighs33 grams.

When snakes are that tiny, should they be only eating half a pinkie? Have a customer who brought back a tiny corn as it hasn't eaten in two weeks. I looked at it today, and it seems fine and doesn't look dehydrated. I am wondering if the snake should be fed a pinkie cut in half? Could it be that the pinkie is too big for that tiny of snake and that's why it won't take it?

Even the smallest corn can eat a day-old pinkie.
But, cutting a pinkie in half is fine if they want to try it. The smelliness may attract the snake if anything else.
(cutting it in half while frozen still is less messy, FYI)

Several neurotransmitter disturbances in humans cause that sort of behavior.
A main symptom of schizophrenia is holding weird positions and doing weird repetitive behaviors.
This also happens with the use of 'uppers', such as cocaine.

It could be related to the immune system in snakes, i.e. when they are fighting an infection blood flow is diverted from the brain, causing a lower neurotransmitter reuptake, therefore causing the strange behavior.

Or, it could be more chronic or serious.

Wow... I kinda sound like I know something ;)
I'm not sure about anything I just said, just a theory.

Thank you is something to look into. I have a little experience with people suffering from schizophrenia I feel for them.

sounds similar to what happened with my very first corn i bought... very lethargic and non responsive, ate well at first then regurged once and like four days later i noticed it was "writhing" "twisting" looked painful then it flipped over and died:( R.I.P. Blayze! Since then, i had no prob with my other two corns. it was just random

sounds similar to what happened with my very first corn i bought... very lethargic and non responsive, ate well at first then regurged once and like four days later i noticed it was "writhing" "twisting" looked painful then it flipped over and died:( R.I.P. Blayze! Since then, i had no prob with my other two corns. it was just random

I am sorry for your loss.

The tests came back negative on crypto, the snakes can be placed out into pet homes now and I can move on. Thank you all for everything.

All that is left as far as I know are the cultures. The vet is telling me even if they show salmonella and ecoli that most of all reptiles show it.

But they could tell the quantity, hopefully. I know some have a baseline amount, at least of salmonella, but it would be interesting to know if yours has an overabundance of either.

I will post those also as soon as I get the results back. I am not real impressed with the vet, I called this morning and they told me no results had come back. I then called the place doing the testing and was told the results were sent to them yesterday. And after some pleading on my part she gave me the crypto results.

In this case, I don't see why they wouldn't give you the partial results. The two tests are not checking the same thing.

If it was something like bloodwork for checking kidney function, if we didn't have the urinalysis results back, we will tell owners the results aren't in, because we need information on kidney function from 'both ends' so to speak.

I'd call the vet again, tell them the testing lab said they sent the info. Sadly it sometimes it depends on who you get on the phone.

Back