• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

loosing interest

We used to do African Cichlids too.. No more, to much time to be involved with the fish.. Something has had to go.. Of course this year we are hoping to sell off some of the adults that now have no further breeding plans, and of course sell off as many of the babies as we can.. What does not get sold off with a reasonable price will be wholesaled, to the loss of the general public..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Another thought on down sizing, I bought 32 babies this year to be future project breeders. Oh well.

Wade mentioned...

Another thought on down sizing, I bought 32 babies this year to be future project breeders. Oh well.

And they say crack is addicting.. *LOL* Meet you in Mesquite NV with a trunk load Wade.. *LOL*

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Well, I'm only in my fourth year of messing with snakes. There are days where I feel burned out and like Rich Z said, I wonder about all the things that I say I want to do with my family, but can't do yet because I don't have the money.

Then I think, well that is part of why I work so hard with the snakes, because I'd like the money to do these things and I have seen just how far working hard has been getting me. Then I use the REST of my brain and finish the thought, who am I kidding? Even if I had the money, I'd NEVER have the TIME to do these things. So then all I need to do is drag myself into the snake room, turn the music on and work for a few minutes and all the burn out seems to go away.

As others have said, I think part of it is very thereputic. I can use the excuse, the snakes NEED me to do my jobs in there, then I can forget about everything else and just work with my music and let my mind wander while I enjoy the perks of seeing and touching very beautiful creatures whenever I want! It never fails, when I'm feeling burn out if I can just make myself START the job, the all is well again and I find myself having to FORCE myself to give up for the night!

Another thing I have done. Well, the snakes have been more than paying for themselves and I had to think, what's more important to me at this point, time or money? Well, for now at least, time won out. This prompted me to pay for help. So now, every now and thenm I just give myself a break and pay to buy some of my time back. Yeah, less money for the family, but my time is valuable too! This also gets rid of any nagging burnout that may be lurking. It's also kinda fun to have people say "You're so lucky to have these snakes" two or three times a day!!! :)

Rebecca

This thread should be a sticky, or must read
for ALL newcomers to the forum.
As I believe it may help curtail some impulse buying.

Well, I'm only in my fourth year of messing with snakes. There are days where I feel burned out and like Rich Z said, I wonder about all the things that I say I want to do with my family, but can't do yet because I don't have the money.

Then I think, well that is part of why I work so hard with the snakes, because I'd like the money to do these things and I have seen just how far working hard has been getting me. Then I use the REST of my brain and finish the thought, who am I kidding? Even if I had the money, I'd NEVER have the TIME to do these things. So then all I need to do is drag myself into the snake room, turn the music on and work for a few minutes and all the burn out seems to go away.

As others have said, I think part of it is very thereputic. I can use the excuse, the snakes NEED me to do my jobs in there, then I can forget about everything else and just work with my music and let my mind wander while I enjoy the perks of seeing and touching very beautiful creatures whenever I want! It never fails, when I'm feeling burn out if I can just make myself START the job, the all is well again and I find myself having to FORCE myself to give up for the night!

Another thing I have done. Well, the snakes have been more than paying for themselves and I had to think, what's more important to me at this point, time or money? Well, for now at least, time won out. This prompted me to pay for help. So now, every now and thenm I just give myself a break and pay to buy some of my time back. Yeah, less money for the family, but my time is valuable too! This also gets rid of any nagging burnout that may be lurking. It's also kinda fun to have people say "You're so lucky to have these snakes" two or three times a day!!! :)

Rebecca

This is from another Rebecca, from Rebecca's neighbour..:)

I only spent few times with you, but I was really amazed at how you treasured time your daughter wanted to spend with you... When I was feeding the babies with you, and how evertime Rachelle(sp??) you daughter wanted to say something to you, or ask for something... you dropped everything to be there for her... and I really loved the way she always told you "I love you" with a smile on her face... I really missed how much my teenage daughter has changed when she hit 13 year old mark... I believe you showed her that you care for your snakes, but she comes first really showed..:)

Thanks again, Rebecca, for showing me the inspirations.... and wishing I could spend more time learning from you....

Cheers,
RebeccaK

Actually I don't really think I go through periods of losing interest. It's more along the lines of realizing that I am tired of spending nearly every day of my life doing this and watching the rest of the world (and my life) where I (we) could be doing other things. It's the realization that there are OTHER things of interest in life that we are not doing because we CAN'T because we need to be taking care of the animals. THAT is what wears you down.

Too true...this is the main thing that makes me cut down.

If you want to produce something that hasn't been produced before-- or something that is practically unavailable on the market-- you HAVE to keep many snakes..... and your odds are 1/64 that any single egg will yield that, you need to produce MANY eggs to beat those bleak odds.

Too true...this is the main thing that makes me keep the numbers up.

I hate crickets. I’ve sold all my lizards and gotten rid of all the insects.

Me too. No more lizards.

And yeah...sometimes it is a bummer to clean and feed...but sometimes it is rewarding to watch that egg pip and realize you are one of a few or maybe the ONLY person to ever see that combo hatch. Now THAT is nice!

Plus, my snakes are a nice part time job while I'm a student. My funky schedule makes it so I cannot have a job with regular hours as I'm sure my boss wouldn't allow me to come in when I could.....but the snakes don't care if they are fed in the morning, noon, or night. ;)

I don't regret any of my corns.
I don't regret my boas.
I don't even regret the silly king or loopy woma.
But .... I do regret the ball pythons. I went overboard and bought 5 of them. I am down to four...but would like to be down to 2. The normal male, normal female, and maybe even the albino female can go. I already sold the spider male. Then i can use the space! Ha!
Mainly I have found myself in different circumstances. My partner of 9 years left me and i really only want the snakes i truly love.

Last edited:
I'm not sure..sometimes I wake up and think.."why am I wanting more snakes?" "What's the point of all this?"...but then other times I wake up and am like "I really want more snakes..I would love a pure white snow or a nice blood!"...So I don't know..my thoughts change from day to day..

thanks to my mom not being thrilled at all with my one corn snake I have never had the chance to be worn out but in a similar story when I was about 13 or so? I got into lovebirds. Started off with one, then he needed a mate. Then I wanted to breed but didnt want to breed my pets so I brought a breeder pair. Then I wanted to keep one of the babies. Then someone wanted to give me a pair. Then my solo baby needed a mate. Then I was breeding all 3 of my pairs, up at 6am before middle school hand feeding baby birds and selling them to collectors in all corners of the world. Within about 3 years it really burned me out. I loved what I did but the work that came with it ontop of a High school job and school I just lost it. Had to give them up. Now its the snake and a cat.

But maybe once I get the heck outta this house own my own I wouldnt mind at least one or two more snakes, its so tempting with all the great breeders here!

This thread should be a sticky, or must read
for ALL newcomers to the forum.
As I believe it may help curtail some impulse buying.

Yes, I'd have to agree with abell83 on this one. It is very easy for the newbie to get a little too gung-ho very early . The newness of the hobby, discovering all of the beautiful morphs that are out there, and toying with the idea of breeding can lead to trouble in no time. These are pets that can live a long time. Better to get one or just a few and let yourself really learn all you can about snakes and whether your interest in them will stand the test of time.

Back