• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

loosing interest

Actually I don't really think I go through periods of losing interest. It's more along the lines of realizing that I am tired of spending nearly every day of my life doing this and watching the rest of the world (and my life) where I (we) could be doing other things. It's the realization that there are OTHER things of interest in life that we are not doing because we CAN'T because we need to be taking care of the animals. THAT is what wears you down.

Rich, whenever you get tired of your job, remember you, unlike me, do not make your living videotaping people pooping for medical reasons.

Rich, whenever you get tired of your job, remember you, unlike me, do not make your living videotaping people pooping for medical reasons.

Certainly puts you high on the list for the crappiest jobs a person could have.... :rolleyes:

I do hope you never have to take your work home with you....... :eek1:

I can sooo relate to what you're feeling. In my case it's not the snakes, but all the fish tanks. All the breeding and feeding and selective breeding and water changes, moving, new set ups, cleaning one tank for new inhabitants...it's exhausting. I think that's part of why I jumped on my snake...I really needed something different. Don't beat yourself up for needing (what sounds like) a much needed break. I recently made the decision to stop breeding fish altogether and will be concentrating solely on inverts, specifically freshwater shrimp. It's not that they're so much less work, but I don't need the larger sized tanks like I do for plecos, cichlids and ancistrus, and it's something different where the market is not yet saturated. So I'll be moving all my fish out over the next month or two. It's hard to go through something like that, but if it's just not fun anymore, it's time to give it up for a bit. You can always get back into it later. It sounds like you have quite a housefull at the moment, so sometimes we chicks need to take control of whatever we can to maintain our sanity. ;)

Thanks for all the kind words and the understanding. A lot of the forums I got to, people get bent out of shape when you talk about rehoming a animal.
I wish I couild find something to get me interested again.
It could be the weather, I hate the heat and always feel like crap the whole summer. I would just rather put on a snorkle and live in the river all summer, some thing I haven't been able to do yet because of all the flooding and cold water temps.
Maybe I get everyone out this weekend and try to get some pictures

WOW, I thought it was just me. My reason is not diminished desire, but ability. My knees are doodoo and my back is poo. Twisted knee a couple weeks ago which caused more trauma to the knee then the bad wlaking irritated my back. For me I just got into this hobby to late in life. Downsizing for sure in this house. It is very difficult however, I just cry when I think of letting go.

I'm familiar with the situation - and my neighbors have referred to it as the "two year itch" - you over-indulge yourself, and as CAV once advised me, you cross that thin line between being a keeper and becoming kept.

Because of some constraints I've recently experienced, I've had to dump all the '07s I acquired last year over the past few months. Now that those constraints are gone, I am now looking at '08s (of course!); I'm just intending to be a little more judicious about it this season.

And as we all know, the road to hell is paved with those good intentions. :)

regards,
jazz

There have been some great comments here. I truly understand how you feel, because that came over me with my dogs. I have had Pekingese pretty much my whole life, started breeding and showing in the 80's on a very limited basis, then in 2000 one of my males won at a national breed show, and that put me on the road to showing more and more. Then I got involved in trying to reform the parent breed club, and I think it nearly did me in--the people are just insane. When I quit that, I discovered I am very tired of caring for dogs daily. We still have 7 Pekes and one Bulldog, and even that is too much. Losing a few over the years, as well as puppies, is inevitable and very heart-breaking. So I would love to sell/place most of them--but hang on to them waiting for that "just right home". One is going to Australia to be shown, but that was just good fortune.

Anyway, I discovered the snakes are just so much easier, and as someone else said, very relaxing to come into my snake room and just enjoy them (this is where I sit now). But when you get burned out and it's no longer fun, it's time to get out, for sure, no matter what hobby it is.

Best wishes! :)

But sadly this is a hobby where the newb gets gun ho and starts to buy a half a dozen animals with in the first 6 months. I see this as a common problem in this hobby. I typically tell people after their first 2 snakes to slow down and wait six months before adding any new ones.
This helps them to learn from these snakes and to see if they want to add more to their collection.

I waited five years between the second snake and third.. probably would have waited even longer if I hadn't stumbled upon this place when LadyG was sick :)

Woa this thread has been an eye opener.

I figure the day I find providing my animals with the best possible care every day a job, or a task I am obligated to do then I will stop keeping animals. I am one of those weirdo snake keepers who checks sometimes twice daily for poop, is constantly cleaning and feeding and doing little extra things. Some people call me OCD, because my animals are spotless. But thats how I like it. I can't stand the thought of my animals sitting in the same tub as their smelly poop for more than an hour. Usually it doesn't have time to hit the ground before I am in there cleaning it up LOL!

But in saying that I only have to contend with just over a dozen snakes. Of which there are 9 species that all need different care and husbandry. I think I would go out of my freakin mind if I had anymore than 10 corn snakes. Sure they come in beautiful colours, but at the end of the day they are still corn snakes, and let's face it, slightly predictable in most aspects of keeping. I am even going off the idea of breeding corns. I feel the UK market is already over saturated with amature keepers like myself who decided to pop out 3 corn clutches in their first 3 years just because they can. And what happens? You end up selling your 20 anerys for £10 each to 20 newbie keepers who continue to buy more and more and more THEN sellup.

Perhaps it's because I dote on my animals so much and adore the work that comes with them that the very thought of the workload being a chore seems ridiculous to me. However I absolutly appreciate those with very large amounts of snakes keep them for different purposes than me. And that a large collection would take hours of work to maintain a day, but I would have 100 snakes in a heartbeat if I had the space. I would be in my element with 100 poops to clean a day LOL.

Very interesting discussion. I feel that way sometimes too. For me though, it's been more losing interest in certain projects. I've sold off any projects that I wasn't uber pumped about. And I'll continue to do so. Right now I only have animals that I'm very excited to be working with, and I don't mind all the work and responsibility. When I had other animals that I had lost interest it started being more of a chore, so I sold them off to focus on certain projects. And for me, that has helped a lot.

I'm quite suprised by how much I actually enjoy the husbandry for my snakes...22 so far with eggs in the oven. I have only been doing this for a year and plan to get rid of a few, but only so I can get some other ones. I find the time spent doing these "chores' quite relaxing and when I get them out it is pure serenity for me. My mind is focused only on the beauty and movement and feel of them. It is meditative. I hope it always remains this way.

Last edited:
But sadly this is a hobby where the newb gets gun ho and starts to buy a half a dozen animals with in the first 6 months. I see this as a common problem in this hobby. I typically tell people after their first 2 snakes to slow down and wait six months before adding any new ones.
This helps them to learn from these snakes and to see if they want to add more to their collection.

LOL I was that newb heehee.

Got my first corn in February 2007. Got my 2nd in April, my 3rd a few weeks after that in June of the same year. Then in August I got my Abbott who was my 4th and then 2 more corns in December.

I am happily on an almost 6 month no buying corn streak :rofl:

I'm quite suprised by how much I actually enjoy the husbandry for my snakes...22 so far with eggs in the oven. I have only been doing this for a year and plan to get rid of a few, but only so I can get some other ones. I find the time spent doing these "chores' quite relaxing and when I get them out it is pure serenity for me. My mind is focused only on the beauty and movement and feel of them. It is meditative. I hope it always remains this way.

Im pretty fond of it as well but I think in my case its a girl thing........I enjoy being mommy, feeding, cleaning poop, fixing there vivs, etc. Whatever needs to be done.

I did get gun ho and now I regret it. I don't enjoy caring for them and I rarely handle them any more. they've just became something to throw food at and keep clean. I had planned on breeding but have no interest any more.

I know how you feel. :( I don't think snakes are something I could just throw away. They're not something I get into then get bored with but I just don't think this is the way I want my life to go. OK, I may be only 13 (soon 14) but snakes are a huge commitment, and considering what's going on in my life right now, I'm not ready. I would still want to keep Spike and my hoggy (need a new name for her) but no more... Actually, I might end up giving them away but that's if I don't move.

I look at people like Rich, Kathy, and other breeders on here with a smile and a frown. I smile because, well I think that having all those different snakes is cool, but I look at them with a frown because-- this is just weird. Why? You likes snakes, but why so many? Why did you make a business out of them? Do you have a real job?

I guess I'm just weird, stupid, and whatever else people think of me, but that's how I feel.
:shrugs:

Something tells me I should get ready for people bashing me for this, but I could care less now...

I decided to limit myself as soon as I started getting the itch to get more, and I'm glad I did. It made me make careful choices about what I wanted, and I'm very fond of most of what I have. I have 9 snakes right now, and will always keep it to around 10. I wouldn't enjoy having and/or cleaning up after more than that. I am getting rid of my lavenders because I just don't like them as much as I thought I did when I decided to get them, but that's not because I jumped into too many, just that in person I don't appreciate them as much as I do compared to the other morphs. They might as well go to someone who appreciates them more than I do!

I only recently got snakes, and I have found myself phoning breeders in other parts of the country about others. There were only normals and amels available here. Once I got the snakes and did some research, I found out about all the other pretty ones, I want more!

Thing is, I have told myself no more! I have enough pets, including a dalmatian who gets acupuncture and has to have A BARF diet made, there is too much for me to do as well as look after a 2 year old.

Maybe when I get finished with the new vivs and have a small one available again, it might start whispering to me "I need a snake, I need a snake" Go away AAAAAgh:lol

I just know I'm going to end up with more

I look at people like Rich, Kathy, and other breeders on here with a smile and a frown. I smile because, well I think that having all those different snakes is cool, but I look at them with a frown because-- this is just weird. Why? You likes snakes, but why so many? Why did you make a business out of them? Do you have a real job?

I guess I'm just weird, stupid, and whatever else people think of me, but that's how I feel.

Something tells me I should get ready for people bashing me for this, but I could care less now...

I am not going to besh your for your opinion by any means because everyone is entitled to their own. But in the eyes of a 14 year old I could see how that LARGE of a scale of a committment might seem "weird" to you. It is great that at such a young age you have realized what a committment and responsibility having snakes (or any pet) can be. That in itself is a great thing! Too many kids these days dont know what its like to have resposibilties becausse they are never taught that they need to be resposible because their parents do everything for them. I applaud you for getting into something that interests you like a hobby such as this! You could be sitting front of a tv playing video games on a beautiful sunny day wasting your days away (UGGH) I have a son who is only 7 (and a daughter who is 5) but I try to instill those same things I just went on and on about in them.

Now, Rich, Kathy and everyone you are referring to do have a large amount of snakes but my guess is that they are out of their teenage years;) and they quite possibly have "real" jobs in addition to what they do with snakes, some may breed as thier full time job. When someone finds a true love in their life and finds something that truly makes them happy go with it. You will come to realize that as an adult it is so hard to do something you enjoy and get paid for it! Right now being your age that may be hard to understand because you are enjoying the many aspects of being a teenager (as you should be) with out that large of a scale of committment.

Who knows one day when you are older and all of the fun teenage years have come and gone and you are falling back on an old passion that gives you joy in what becomes the daily grind of being an adult you may just find yourself faling back on an old hobby and looking into the tanks of your 50+ snakes(or more)!!!:eek:

I've been thinking about this since you posted. I can imagine getting burned out by pet care, and have tried very hard to limit the number of animals I have. Every time I think how nice it would be to have a dog or cat, I remind myself that it would almost be like having a child! I don't mind the daily care of ONE lizard, but more would become tedious. The toads and turtles just get fed two or three times a week, and the torts don't require any care at all, except maybe throwing some flowers in as treats. The snakes are in two groups- the five day feeders who all eat reliably. I don't mind them- their food thaws in minutes and they are done eating practically before I can wash each snake's water bowl. They are funn to feed- so serious with their little tail rattlings. Charting their weekly growth. It's the grown up snakes that can be PITAs. The males are on hunger strike. You never know if they are going to eat or not, so you have to have a back up snake that eats the same size prey, and you have to thaw it out, get the snake out, give it a decent amount of time to refuse, reheat the prey, get the back up snake out...THAT is what gets me. Can't they just eat?? And there are more of them that want to be covered up, or want to eat after dark, or whatever. And they can take a while to get started eating- they have to think about it for a while. I can see if you had 20 or 30 or more of those picky suckers, instead of the nine I have, that it could get old.

I think other people, spouses, kids, weigh on you, too, no matter how much you love them. They require your time, to a much greater extent than the pets. When you don't have them (well, my daughter is long grown up and gone off on her own) you have virtually unlimited time for yourself, so the pets aren't taking away from the precious few hours you may get for yourself, away from your family. And it helps to have a 9-5 (or 6:30-3 in my case) job that you can walk away from at the end of the day, not work from home, or take work home with you.

Anyway, I hope it all clears up for you, that somehow they become less of a burden.

Get ready for it, Paulina. Here comes the bash! :grin01:

Just kidding. I don't think you're weird or stupid. Well, maybe a LITTLE weird. ;) But I think it's a mistake to view (and maybe judge) other peoples' motives from a single perspective. People are different. 99% of the world population probably thinks it's weird to keep ANY snakes. You sound like you're more of a small-scale pet collector, so if you haven't been bitten by the breeding bug, you may not understand why a person is inclined toward collecting MANY snakes to achieve breeding goals.

If a breeder is committed to even a small number of projects, they may need dozens of snakes to begin with, and then dozens of holdbacks from each generation to achieve their goals. If you want to produce something that hasn't been produced before-- or something that is practically unavailable on the market-- you HAVE to keep many snakes. Considering the fact that most mutant corn genes are recessive, it becomes a numbers game. No one WANTS to keep 7 normals het for cinder, lavender, and hypo, but if you're hoping to produce hypo-lav-cinders (which do not yet exist), and your odds are 1/64 that any single egg will yield that, you need to produce MANY eggs to beat those bleak odds. Don't confuse dedicated project goals with animal hoarding.

I do take issue with the fact that you think it's weird to make a business out of snake breeding. Why is manufacturing snakes any different from manufacturing chicken eggs, or milk, or auto parts? I have a real, more-than-full-time job. I wish I had the courage and dedication to do the reptile thing as my sole business. I applaud those who can do it.

Or maybe this whole post is just an exercise in self-justification. :grin01:

It gets confusing when you start crossing the lines between interesting pets, snake breeding hobby, obsession, and business. I tend to over do most things. I have never had a casual interest in anything. When I was a kid I liked reptiles, I lied and called myself a pet store and found a wholesaler who would sell me iguanas, I bought 25.

I found an interest in Chameleons, within a year I had a dozen breeders, hundreds of babies, a heated closet in the garage for my cricket farm and meal work ranch.

A couple of years ago my wife I started feeling burned out. We decided to downsize. I started selling off some of my breeders. Every time I’d get an offer I’d tell my wife and she’d say, “oh, I really don’t want to sell those two, tell them they are already sold.” We sold maybe a dozen snakes and I regret them all.

What I have done is identified the parts that I don’t really enjoy and eliminated them. I hate crickets. I’ve sold all my lizards and gotten rid of all the insects. Last year, I sold all the snakes that required rats got rid of the rat breeding cages. It has simplified my life a lot.

For me it’s just an obsession. Rich Z or Kathy or others that require snake sales to put bread on the table are in a different boat. Without snakes I would simply wither and die, they would starve.

Back