• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Milksnake hep

waldo

Crazy Tarantula Lady
I found myself the sudden and unexpected care taker of two young milk snakes today. A tri color honduran and a albino sinaloan, they were a pity rescue and for the time being I have them set up in cages just like a corn. Is this ok? or do they need more/less heat/humidity?
I know I can find the info easy enough myself but after spending 7 hours caring for multiple abandoned snakes and exotic mammals, my mind is just fried.
I also ended up with a coral cornsnake, a pacman frog and a nice big ol' tarantula. Will probably be bringing home at least one hedgehog in a couple days.
Luckly we got help and found homes for all the animals, including the giant snakes and all the corns that no one really wanted.

I'll try and get pictures tomorrow. I have to soak the albino and help the poor thing get some old shed off. Oh and does anyone know the value of these guys?

You can care for them just like corns. They may eat a smaller prey than a corn of similar weight- they just don't seem to be able to open their mouths as far. They are often flighty as hatchlings but generally outgrow that.

Thank you Nanci. They are large enough to take hoppers, maybe even two per feeding and they are very docile to handle. I figure they are probably 2 feet or so, I just wish I had some info on them like age, sex and breeder.
I'm not sure if I'll be keeping them or rehoming in time. I do really like them, they have really cute little faces.

The care is the same as corns. Mine are a bit more flighty than the corns, at least the sinaloans are, my MBK are pretty tame. The only thing I would add to Nanci's advice is that they are better at escaping and generally a bit more active than corns are. The albino sinaloans are around but not that common and depending on m/f might be the more valuable of the 2 , I would say tricolor hondos abound so that one is probably not worth quite as much. But of course it's also going to depend what kind of condition they are in.

milks are a little longer, slightly skinnier, like more & smaller meals. Seeing as how they are rescues, if kept at 80ish degrees, start them out with a feeder/single meal about the same girth as the snakes are the first few (3+) meals, maybe 5-4 days apart, and then move them up to 2 of "size=snakes girth" meals per feeding every 7 (or whatever schedule) days. or at least that was my experience when working with them.

Thank you again:) I've decided to keep the corn and probably the sinaloan too. The corn is the thinnest, just slightly triangle while the milks are in much better shape.
The Honduran is especially plump and healthy looking so I hope to rehome it in a couple months. I want to make sure its eating with no issues.
The corn and Sin took a small hopper yesterday and another today. The Honduran took one hopper today, its a shy feeder.

I'm not terribly concerned about value but I would like to be able to put a adoption fee on the honduran. What would be fair for a unsexed healthy honduran, like $35? I have no idea on sex and no one to probe them. How big is too big to pop?

I really need to try and get photos for you guys but I have to run in and rescue some mammalian critters tomorrow. Maybe in a few days when I weight everyone I'll try.

2 year old is too big to pop. If you have someone nearby that knows how to probe see if you can get some help.
I think $35 would be a fair value for the hondo snake but as a rescue finding a good home is the most important thing. It was nice of you to rescue them, just make sure you ask a lot of questions of the potential adopter to make sure the snake gets a good place to live.
I have to admit I would probably want to keep the albino sinaloan too. I am looking forward to photos.

I figured they were too big but what made you say 2 years? I am definitely more concerned about finding a good home then I am the $$ but it would be nice to get a little back to help pay for feeders.
I was actually wanting to give the hondo to my daughter and her boyfriend but he likes larger snakes and she doesn't really know what a milk is. Its still a possibility and she has until Christmas to decide.
I'd never actually seen a albino sinoloan until I found this one in the rack. Its so pretty and bright. I little fidgety at first but settles right down once its out of the cage.
There was around 20 different smaller snakes and I could only take 3, I took the two skinniest and the brightest red one. Wish I would have had room for them all.

Good news, my daughter and her boyfriend are going to take the hondo and a crestie I found shoved on a back shelf and forgot about today. I'll have them until Christmas though so I can spoil them and get them good and healthy.

I don't know how fast milks grow, thats why I asked:) Sounds like a good guess to me since I will never be able to get any more info on them
Pics will be coming sometime today. Will make a separate post.

Can I ask what and where they were rescued from? Just got me curious since we are in the same state.

I'd rather not get into the whole mess behind it but its not close to you. It was a pet store who's owner took very ill.

Back