• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My Baby Ate Aspen Bedding!

Kaynein

While feeding my snake, Kaa he accidentally ate a piece of bedding. Will he be okay? Should I worry? I'm sure wild snakes accidentally eat things while feeding.

They'll be fine. I know many a large breeder who feed snakes in their tubs and say aspen consumption is ok. Obviously just not an inordinate amount.

How big is the snake? And what is the aspen? Sani chip, shredded, chipped?

He's a couple inches short of two feet. The Aspen is the black and chipped (I think?). The piece he ingested was maybe a 1/2 inch long. Not sure if he ate it, or its stuck in his mouth. I'm just going to let him settle down and then check him over in a day or so. He's still in eating mode at the moment.

Included is a picture of the bedding and Kaa.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 90
That is pretty small piece if it is 1/2 inch. He should be fine but I would watch and make sure he keeps pooping after the next couple meals.

Black? I have no idea then, I retract my opinion as I have no idea what that is. Regular aspen is ok... not sure about black aspen. I'd imagine it's dyed with something.

Yeah, I figured he would look cool on it.~ Ya know, light snake, dark backdrop. It's also why I am worried. >.<

That is a very pretty corn you have thir and yes your corn will be okay but next time when you feed just put him in another cage or whatever you use and feed him in thir. :)

That is a very pretty corn you have thir and yes your corn will be okay but next time when you feed just put him in another cage or whatever you use and feed him in thir. :)

I am sorry but if I don't say anything the top of my head might just snap off....
I don't know what "thir" means...there is no such word as "thir".
The word is "there", with 2 "e"s.

Please...for the love of all things snakey....remember this! Ok?

I am sorry but if I don't say anything the top of my head might just snap off....

I'm sorry, but I think you are too late *Picks up the top of your head* I will just superglue that back on for you. *glues* There you go!! ;)

Anyways, just monitor the poops. With any luck, you will find a healthy poo with a nice chunk of aspen in it. As far as I know, aspen isn't terribly digestible for snakes.

I'm not sure how "everything will be fine" and "don't do it again" go together.

Ingesting aspen can be fatal if it gets stuck inside the snake's body; it doesn't digest. If it's a small enough piece you'll probably be fine, but it can be quite bad. I have a snake right now that probably isn't gonna make it because of this very issue. The wood chips I had him on were not the shredded kind, I think that helps.

Hopefully everything will be fine for you.

My pine snake ingested a large piece of bark when I had her.. she was just fine. I feed all my snakes in their vivs, but I keep anything under 2 years on paper towels and I dry off the mice before feeding so they don't turn into an aspen ball. However, I use very fine aspen, so even if a piece were to get eaten, with the size of the snakes in consideration, it should all pass through okay. I keep my hognose on aspen too, I just feed him on a solid surface, like his hide so the aspen doesn't get stuck on his fuzzies.

LOL sorry for the miss spelled word it will never happen again.

Back