• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

sudden change in behavior.

Tzuki

Hey all,

So I've got my two corns (Raam'msex and Orochimaru (pronounced like an angry Japanese)) for 8 months now. Everything was great, no problems at all.

Oro (orochimaru) onced (after a meal in his bin) tried to hurl at me, and the lid stopped him. Now, whenever I open the viv to get him, he looks straight at me, as if he is going to try again. never did, and I assume it was just after a feeding.

Raammsex was the opposite. very mellow, THE snake for newcomers, and haters. never tried, even after a feed, always relaxed and very calm on my hands (unlike the other, which feels comfortable from the get go).

Until yesterday when I opened the viv, lifted his hide, and he started twiching the tail like a rattle snake (BTW, how does he know how to imitate a rattle snake, if he's never seen one? :)).
since that moment, he won't stop. whenever I try, he instantly shakes the tail.

I know it won;t hurt much, or at all. but instinct takes the better of me. it's easier for me to put my hand in the fire....
why would it start doing this? will it stop?
what should I do?

temps are a bit high I know 22-31C /71.6-87.8 (summer here.,...)
they eat and shed like clockwork.

Hey all,

So I've got my two corns (Raam'msex and Orochimaru (pronounced like an angry Japanese)) for 8 months now. Everything was great, no problems at all.

Oro (orochimaru) onced (after a meal in his bin) tried to hurl at me, and the lid stopped him. Now, whenever I open the viv to get him, he looks straight at me, as if he is going to try again. never did, and I assume it was just after a feeding.

Raammsex was the opposite. very mellow, THE snake for newcomers, and haters. never tried, even after a feed, always relaxed and very calm on my hands (unlike the other, which feels comfortable from the get go).

Until yesterday when I opened the viv, lifted his hide, and he started twiching the tail like a rattle snake (BTW, how does he know how to imitate a rattle snake, if he's never seen one? :)).
since that moment, he won't stop. whenever I try, he instantly shakes the tail.

I know it won;t hurt much, or at all. but instinct takes the better of me. it's easier for me to put my hand in the fire....
why would it start doing this? will it stop?
what should I do?

temps are a bit high I know 22-31C /71.6-87.8 (summer here.,...)
they eat and shed like clockwork.

Several things come to mind are they in same viv? How are you measuring temp and where are you taking temp in viv? Have you thought about turning heat source off for summer? Are you trying to handle too soon after feeding? Are you feeding them enough for their size? ...

Several things come to mind are they in same viv? How are you measuring temp and where are you taking temp in viv? Have you thought about turning heat source off for summer? Are you trying to handle too soon after feeding? Are you feeding them enough for their size? ...

-not in the same viv
-measuring with a digital thermometer.
-under the paper towel on the "hot" side.
-the heat mat is off.
-no, feeding was 4 days ago, it started yesterday.
-mmm, I've got a mixture, so it's one week the size they need, and the next, one almost as large, but too large for a double.

It's the first time it happened, for no special reason ( that I know of...)

Thx for the reply ;)

My corn snake gets very agitated when the temperature in his viv is a bit higher than usual. Perhaps that's it?

Your temps aren't TOO high. The high of 87.5 is on the upper end of a good idea, but not dangerous, especially if this is a short-term point in a daily cycle. As long as your snakes have plenty of water they'll be fine. They may be irritable with the higher temps, but shouldn't be a big deal.

The tail rattle you describe isn't unusual. It's the snake's way of saying, "Look out." Many corns do that; is isn't necessarily a prelude to a bite. In fact, my tail-shakers haven't ever followed that up with an attempt to nip. As to why they do that if they haven't seen a rattlesnake. It's likely the other way around; rattles developed in order to increase the noise. The snakes were probably already shaking their tails before the rattles appeared.

Try not to worry about a strike. If you hesitate or seem nervous you're more likely to scare the snake, possibly causing it to strike when it otherwise wouldn't. I know, that's kind of like advising someone not to think about an elephant wearing pink pajamas....... As long as you behave normally and don't smell like prey (mice, fried chicken, bologna, what have you) or a predator (cat, dog, king snake, etc.) and handling them regularly, you're unlikely to get bitten. If worse comes to worse and you do get tagged, it's really not worth worrying about. I've had far more damage from a bouquet of roses or a blackberry vine - let alone a playful kitten!

How old are they? I have a juvenile female that was super sweet when I got her, & earlier this year, in April, she became an evil little worm. LOL (She's two now).
I think it's a phase (at least I hope so). I imagine she'll grow out of it.

I think it's a phase (at least I hope so). I imagine she'll grow out of it.

Puberty ?!?? Oh goodness no, please say it ain't so! I'm afraid of my 6 year old hitting that stage, I don't want to go through that with my snake as well!

Caryl, alot of info, thx alot! Love the evolution theory.

They are not even yearlings, coming close though.

So What do I do?
reach in while it's rattling the tail? Wait for it to stop and then?

Caryl, alot of info, thx alot! Love the evolution theory.

They are not even yearlings, coming close though.

So What do I do?
reach in while it's rattling the tail? Wait for it to stop and then?
You're welcome. As for what to do, I'd wait until the tail-rattle stops, then reach in and pick it up as usual. If wearing gloves (clean cloth gardening gloves work well) makes you feel more confident, go right ahead and do it. A bite from an almost-yearling wouldn't actually hurt much at all, but instinct makes us dread it just the same.

I'd handle the snakes daily except for when they're digesting or getting ready to shed. Pick one up confidently and don't let go. Be persistent if it tries to escape and get it out of its viv. Handle it for at least 10 minutes, up to half an hour or so until it's calm with the whole business. Repeat daily. I'm willing to bet it won't be long until the behaviour calms down.

My boa does that when he needs his prey items to be upped. Does his food leave a lump in his belly?

My boa does that when he needs his prey items to be upped. Does his food leave a lump in his belly?

always. gone after 2 days..... However he does need a bigger prey, didn't think it would have such an effect, they are not that small...

To be honest Caryl, no I haven't.
I did try, but I remembered what Nanci said here one time, "waiting too much next to it will only add stress".. So by my logic, I let him see me with the other corn."look, he's still alive and happy!". Don't know how much good it'll do.

I bought these snakes so I can get over the fear. and I did. but one incident, set me back further than I was....

and I know it's not gonna hurt.
I took it's viv, put it on the floor (so if he bolts, I won't lose him behind the shelves...), I try to go at it. but by then.... well I'm sure I'll laugh at myself.

they say alcohol makes you careless. Maybe I should try that :)

To be honest Caryl, no I haven't.
I did try, but I remembered what Nanci said here one time, "waiting too much next to it will only add stress".. So by my logic, I let him see me with the other corn."look, he's still alive and happy!". Don't know how much good it'll do.

I bought these snakes so I can get over the fear. and I did. but one incident, set me back further than I was....

and I know it's not gonna hurt.
I took it's viv, put it on the floor (so if he bolts, I won't lose him behind the shelves...), I try to go at it. but by then.... well I'm sure I'll laugh at myself.

they say alcohol makes you careless. Maybe I should try that :)
Nanci's right. Waiting just makes it easier to keep waiting and harder to do what you're worried about. I doubt that your tail-rattler notices that you aren't eating the other snake. I know my own little "strike first, ask questions later" girl :devil01: could care less about the dozens of other corns I'm not killing.

You're on the right track, because you're not giving up. And hey, I've not tried alcohol as a prelude to handling, but it's reasonable that if it relaxes you it may help. :p

Take a tip from Nike, and just do it.

Well, now I'm kinda disappointed... he didn't even try....... :) thx again Caryl..

I thought it'll be good if it's done, so I know how it feels and laugh about it.... but he was nervous at first and calmed down really quick.

Though at some moments he stopped and stared at me for a good minute. Does it mean that something made him cautious or whatnot, or nothing at all?

How about feeding? I feed him in a separate bin and always carry him after feeding back to his viv. Should I just feed in his viv this time?

...Though at some moments he stopped and stared at me for a good minute. Does it mean that something made him cautious or whatnot, or nothing at all?

How about feeding? I feed him in a separate bin and always carry him after feeding back to his viv. Should I just feed in his viv this time?
Good for you!! :dancer:
Stopping and staring means he's checking things out. Maybe he was feeling cautious you for whatever reason. Maybe he saw movement somewhere (even on TV or out the window) and was "freezing" to avoid detection. Maybe.... heck, who knows what the snake was thinking. Keep up the good work and be consistent, and he'll probably get over his tail rattling, except maybe when he's eating.

I'd keep feeding in a separate bin. If you're nervous about handling him after he eats, there are several good options. You can leave him in his feeding container for 10-15 min. after he's completely finished before you remove him to carry him back to his viv. If you do this, pick him up with the same business-like motion you'd normally use. Don't rush or be excessively slow.

You can carry the whole container back to his viv and place it inside, allowing him to return at his leisure. Alternately, you can carry the feeding bin back to his viv and gently spill/pour him back into his home.

Congrats on getting through the worry. I know, the worry is still there and will be for a while. That's normal. You're handling it like a pro! :cheers:

Back