• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Wonderful surprise while checking on 06 babies

pcar

PCar's Reptiles
I got a wonderful surprise while checking on the rest of my babies last evening. I found this in a Normal X normal clutch:
IMG_1085_resize.jpg

IMG_1086_resize.jpg

IMG_1092_resize.jpg

it looks like a bloodred from the "bald" head to the checks on the belly. This was a total shocker. I bred mother and son normals together to see what they might be carrying. I suspected Anery A, Amel, and possibly Hypo, but never imagined this.

Mother: (sold to me as an Okeetee het Anery A and hypo)
Slither_2_800x600.jpg

Father: (Son of above, produced by crossing the above snake with a Snow)
Scooter_2_800x600.jpg

There are 3 total hatchlings that have the "Bald" head, but none to the extent of this one. The others also don't have the same belly checker pattern either. He popped as a male last night, so I was excited as I lost my male blood earlier this year. So now I have a pair again.

He wouldn't be a bloodred and have all those checkers, would he? It is my understanding that bloodreds have no checkers.

You sure that's a bloodred? I'd say with the belly check that snake isn't a homo blood.

That's a weird looking snake, but I seriously doubt it's even HET for diffused. Regular plain old hypos can have the partial checkering, and even some normals can as well.

True Bloodreds don't have ANY belly checkers.

-Kat

:shrugs:

Anyway you look at it, that lil' hatchling surely is a keeper, that head pattern is killer! Congrats! :cheers:

SilentLore said:
:shrugs:

Anyway you look at it, that lil' hatchling surely is a keeper, that head pattern is killer! Congrats! :cheers:

yeah paul............since it is so different and odd, instead of you just putting it up in the corner, how bout i drive over within the next couple of days and relieve you of him. i really need to add #7 and you sure don't need to take that ugly thing to the Austin Expo......... :crazy02:

very nice pcar. :cheers:

not headed to the expo with this one. this one will stay with me for at least a year or 2... just so I can see what he turns into.

pcar said:
not headed to the expo with this one. this one will stay with me for at least a year or 2... just so I can see what he turns into.

dammit.........dammit..........dammit.

I'm so happy for you paul!

Are any of his grey headed sibblings girls? DO you have room to keep him plus a female for a couple of years and breed the girl back to the father? and the boy to the mother? The male that fathered the clutch looks a little diffused on the sides so perhaps he's an outcrossed blood and his influence has come through in 3 of the babies?

I hope I get some nice surprises like that this year!!

My butter and amel h.caramel clutch is hatching right now...I'd love some little motley surprises in there!!!

Thanks Adele. I was already planning on keeping this guy, and at least one other of his siblings that shows the most grey head and see what they grow into. Hopefully I get a female out of them. They should be shedding soon, so more pictures will be forth coming.

One of the things that caught my attention was that this guy is much lighter and more red than the rest of the clutch. They are very squirmy, at the minute, but I will have to see if I can get a group shot of all of them.

Very cool pattern, but I don't think it's diffused, either. Besides the checkers on the belly, look at how sharp the edges of the markings on the head are. Then look at the fuzzy/peppery edges to grey-headed diffused hatchlings. The side pattern is also perfectly crisp with weird shaped side-blotches and sides of the saddles. That baby definitely has a different pattern, but I doubt it has anything to do with diffusion.

No weird heat spikes, fungus, or anything in that clutch? Honestly, to me, it looks like a mistake of incubation. I hope it isn't, because that's one cool hatchling. :D Congrats.

Back