• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

WSCC's First Scaleless Corn !!

Walter Smith

CRAZY BOUT' CORNS !!
FINALLY, after two years I'm hatching out my first Scaleless Corn !!

Last year was the het pair's first breeding year. I witnessed 2 copulations. Unfortunatly out of a 15 egg clutch I only had 4 fertile eggs that were laid.
The other 11 eggs were laid were all infertile and I chalked it up to being a bit late. Those 4 eggs hatched and all the neonates were Normals.

I also bred the het Scaleless male to another (not het Scaleless) female and got a clutch of 16 fertile eggs laid of which all made full term and hatched.

This year I bred the het pair again and pushed for more matings, which there were 5 copulations.
The female laid a clutch of 16 eggs of which only 3 eggs were laid fertile...........MAN :confused:......did I miss again ??

I figured I would double clutch her seeing that since most of her first clutch was small infertiles she didn't drop much weight. I fed her heavily until her post lay shed.
Once she shed, it was back to action. There were 4 copulations and I was anticipating this second clutch. Well per-lay shed came, gave her a nest box and she finally laid...................a total of another 15 eggs of which only 4 were laid fertile :awcrap:

I'm getting pretty close to convinced this girl isn't going to give me a FULL fertile clutch :headbang: ........I guess I'll see again next season.

At least I know the male is good a fertile and I have a bunch of poss het females for him from the "other" female I bred him to last year.

AAANNNNYWAY,
Out of the 3 good eggs in the first clutch I hit one Scaleless !!!
This pair is also het for other genes other than Scaleless and by the looks of the nose and band color, it may not be JUST Scaleless.
I'll know better once it's finally out of the mini pod............update coming soon !!

Now, I just needa keep fingers crossed on the 4 eggs from the second clutch.

Walter
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 223
Huge Congrats Walter!!!

Caramel??

Thanks everyone !!
Steve, it' very possible and here is why.

I got them as hatchlings at two different times in seperate shipments.
The male was aquired as a Het Scaleless Amber, but when he arrived and I unboxed him, he clearly looked to be a Caramel to me ???

Pic 1) Breeding ID photo of this pair and you can see the color difference.

The female was aquired as a Het Scaleless Butter Motley, so Caramel is supposed to be in these for sure.

I found that the male is also Het Motley from the second female (which is a proven het Motley) that I paired him with last year,
which is great because that's another gene that matches the female.

Here are a couple more pics. (2 & 3) of the hatchling.
It's come out a bit more and to be honest, I'm not sure :shrugs: The head color says Caramel, but the body not so much.
Of course from what I understand Scaleless corns look a bit different than their colored counterparts that have scales.

I guess time and maturity will tell, either way I'm stoked :bird:

Walter
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

Attachments

• Caramel h Scaleless Hypo Mot X Normal h Scaleles Butter Mot (DW163).jpg
    Caramel h Scaleless Hypo Mot X Normal h Scaleles Butter Mot (DW163).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 194
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 189
Well, I had a funny feeling about this little bugger (like Murphy was in town), but thought maybe it was just the excitment......I was wrong.

After checking on it every now and then while working in the snakeroom, I saw that it had a small piece of vermiculite in it's mouth,
so I got a tooth pick and got the vermic out. When I did this it backed up into the egg, but just up to the neck line with the entire head sill out the egg.
I went ahead and put the egg in a deli cup on a coffee filter and went back to work.

I went to check it again after about an hour to see if it was out of the egg and it was, BUT it was no longer alive :cry:

I guess it was another, WAS NOT MEANT TO BE.

I'm totally bumbed, but I have learned over all the years of breeding, this kind of stuff WILL happen and it's all part of the game.
It always seems to happen to the good stuff though, doesn't it ??

All I can do now is hope on the 4 eggs from the second clutch. I REALLY appreciate all the good comments and thoughts sent.

NOTE TO ALL: BEWARE OF MURPHY :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Walter
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!!

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 142
I'm so sorry, Walter. You're right- I was just talking about that with someone else. It's always the most prized hatchling that gets screwed.

Back