• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

I think I have made a final choice.

Sorry, Jenne...you know I love ya to bits, but at this point, I don't see David as the one being the drama whore. Every time he posts anything, he seems to come under attack. Someone needs to take the "kick me" sign off the poor kid's back and let him live life the way he and his family see fit.

If everyone wants to attack people for lack of knowledge, go on down to your local pet store and jump on those people for their impulse buys. Attack the people buying pet store puppies or GOLDFISH that are being purchased with a half gallon tank to keep them in. Geez, David and I haven't always been on the best of terms, but it gets tiring to watch every thread he makes go on and on because everyone else knows what's best for him.

Lori, I love you to bits as well, your my other fav redhead besides myself!

While I agree to some extent that it's not his fault (he can't control others actions), it's drama-whorish because David knew full well this post would result in this type of response. By making these type of posts, I feel (and I admit I may be wrong but I don't think so) he does it for the attention, therefore he is a drama-whore.

Normally, I don't post in David's threads, in fact, I often go out of my way to not read ANYTHING this kid posts because he's either patting himself on the back, or posting something that is designed to create this type of response. I'm quite David neutral, except for the fact he annoys me.

First impressions are hard to change David,
You have your work cut out ahead of you... though I don't think you should really care what people think if you know different.
Just avoid past tendencies and I think it'll blow over

I can certainly understand most of the perspectives in this post. I work with teenagers every day, and have a degree in education. One of the classes we took was human development. My professor was a cutting-edge researcher doing studies on brain growth and development. It takes the brain until about the age of 24 to mature entirely. The last parts to mature are the parts that are involved in forward-planning and risk taking, and right up through the late teens, certain glands are working overtime producing hormones that contribute to the "invincible" feeling that we can all likely remember from the teen years.

I've said my piece to David in the past. He knows how I feel. Others are concerned about the welfare of his animals. I can understand this.

What concerns me the most about teens acrueing large collections of animals (or anything else that can "weigh them down," including an expensive car) is that it limits their future life experience. I also know that it's easy as a teen to scoff at us "old folks" and say "I have a plan," "I know I am going to college in state and local," because when you are 14...15...16...17.... you know EVERYTHING. All the adults around you are morons who not only know nothing, but cannot understand at all how you feel.

Yup.

We are up to 40 snakes now. I don't see vacations being a possibility in the near future. We'd need to hire a pet sitter to watch our crew, and that would be pricey. I don't trust anyone in my family to do it, even my sister who loves snakes... and even if I did, it's really not right to dump my hobby on her and go have fun. Having a lot of animals involves a tremendous amount of sacrifice on the part of the person involved. It is easy to decide that the sacrifice is worth it when you're acquiring new specimens, and they are pretty to look at and fun to hold... but it's harder when you start to have to pass on things because of your hobby.

Like the idea of spending a semester abroad in Australia??

Too many pets for that. Someone will need to care for them...

Want to take that partial scholarship to the out of state school that provides exactly the major you want?

Sorry... you have to live on campus as a freshman, and no pets are allowed.

Not to mention the fact that an acquired collection can make it impossible for you to move around.

You could have the very best job offer ever, post-graduation, and not be able to take it because the state it is in bans one or more of your pets. So then you are stuck having to choose... do I take the job of my dreams, or keep this animal I have grown to love?

These are difficult decisions that are not easy to make. Even now I sometimes wonder about the decisions I have made... but at least I am settled in a home and a very stable job, without any great desires to travel much farther than the in-laws farm in Virginia. I accept the consequences of my actions.

But seeing as how it is in the nature of a teenager to push the envelope constantly, and to take risks and do things without thought for the future... it is their parents responsibility to "know when to say when," and to look out for what is in their best interests one... two... or five years from now. It is not our job, nor the job of society as a whole, to parent other peoples children.

The decisions that the young people on here make are the responsibilities of themselves and their parents.

No one else.

Lori, I love you to bits as well, your my other fav redhead besides myself!

While I agree to some extent that it's not his fault (he can't control others actions), it's drama-whorish because David knew full well this post would result in this type of response. By making these type of posts, I feel (and I admit I may be wrong but I don't think so) he does it for the attention, therefore he is a drama-whore.

Normally, I don't post in David's threads, in fact, I often go out of my way to not read ANYTHING this kid posts because he's either patting himself on the back, or posting something that is designed to create this type of response. I'm quite David neutral, except for the fact he annoys me.

I think you are confuzzeld! I can control my actions! I am not a 4 year old kid! I have weighed my options. The responce I thought I would get is not this because look at tortsten! He has over 100 snakes. I though 2 more will not start a riot! I was wrong. And yes you annoy me too :hugs:

I can certainly understand most of the perspectives in this post. I work with teenagers every day, and have a degree in education. One of the classes we took was human development. My professor was a cutting-edge researcher doing studies on brain growth and development. It takes the brain until about the age of 24 to mature entirely. The last parts to mature are the parts that are involved in forward-planning and risk taking, and right up through the late teens, certain glands are working overtime producing hormones that contribute to the "invincible" feeling that we can all likely remember from the teen years.

I've said my piece to David in the past. He knows how I feel. Others are concerned about the welfare of his animals. I can understand this.

What concerns me the most about teens acrueing large collections of animals (or anything else that can "weigh them down," including an expensive car) is that it limits their future life experience. I also know that it's easy as a teen to scoff at us "old folks" and say "I have a plan," "I know I am going to college in state and local," because when you are 14...15...16...17.... you know EVERYTHING. All the adults around you are morons who not only know nothing, but cannot understand at all how you feel.

Yup.

We are up to 40 snakes now. I don't see vacations being a possibility in the near future. We'd need to hire a pet sitter to watch our crew, and that would be pricey. I don't trust anyone in my family to do it, even my sister who loves snakes... and even if I did, it's really not right to dump my hobby on her and go have fun. Having a lot of animals involves a tremendous amount of sacrifice on the part of the person involved. It is easy to decide that the sacrifice is worth it when you're acquiring new specimens, and they are pretty to look at and fun to hold... but it's harder when you start to have to pass on things because of your hobby.

Like the idea of spending a semester abroad in Australia??

Too many pets for that. Someone will need to care for them...

Want to take that partial scholarship to the out of state school that provides exactly the major you want?

Sorry... you have to live on campus as a freshman, and no pets are allowed.

Not to mention the fact that an acquired collection can make it impossible for you to move around.

You could have the very best job offer ever, post-graduation, and not be able to take it because the state it is in bans one or more of your pets. So then you are stuck having to choose... do I take the job of my dreams, or keep this animal I have grown to love?

These are difficult decisions that are not easy to make. Even now I sometimes wonder about the decisions I have made... but at least I am settled in a home and a very stable job, without any great desires to travel much farther than the in-laws farm in Virginia. I accept the consequences of my actions.

But seeing as how it is in the nature of a teenager to push the envelope constantly, and to take risks and do things without thought for the future... it is their parents responsibility to "know when to say when," and to look out for what is in their best interests one... two... or five years from now. It is not our job, nor the job of society as a whole, to parent other peoples children.

The decisions that the young people on here make are the responsibilities of themselves and their parents.

No one else.

I undestand your point! I am going to go to community college freshman year. I love my animals and will do everything for them. I am not a bad keeper. And I hate vacations

I undestand your point! I am going to go to community college freshman year. I love my animals and will do everything for them. I am not a bad keeper. And I hate vacations

20-30 years is a very long time to limit yourself that way. Especially at the age of 15... when you are still growing and changing and finding yourself. I feel about this topic much the same way that I feel about children having babies... to have something in your life that takes away the freedom of options at such a young age is a tragedy.

Regardless... I hope you are right.

The great thing about belonging to a large forum and/or near a herp society is that IF cirumstances come about that forces one to decrease their collection, options are available. You see people here all the time being forced to let their snakes go for whatever reason. Life happens. I don't think a snake will suffer major depressive symptoms due to going from one knowledgable keeper to another. I even see people rehome snakes because those no longer fit into their breeding plans. Snakes change hands here all the time. It's not a tragedy. (excuse any typing errors, spell check is not working.)

The great thing about belonging to a large forum and/or near a herp society is that IF cirumstances come about that forces one to decrease their collection, options are available. You see people here all the time being forced to let their snakes go for whatever reason. Life happens. I don't think a snake will suffer major depressive symptoms due to going from one knowledgable keeper to another. I even see people rehome snakes because those no longer fit into their breeding plans. Snakes change hands here all the time. It's not a tragedy. (excuse any typing errors, spell check is not working.)

Rep for Lori!

I think you are confuzzeld! I can control my actions! I am not a 4 year old kid! I have weighed my options. The responce I thought I would get is not this because look at tortsten! He has over 100 snakes. I though 2 more will not start a riot! I was wrong. And yes you annoy me too :hugs:

I'm not confuzzled, but you sure are... I said you can't control others. I never said anything about you controlling your own actions. I'd hope that you would realize you can control yourself and are willing to take responsibility for your actions.

I REALLY can't believe I'm going to post this. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. I really don't see what the big deal is about David getting RR's. They get a few inches over 6 feet. Big whoop. Yeah, they're fast and nervous, but so are hatchling anythings. If he has the time to work with them like he says he does, he can calm them down a bit and get them more used to handling.

A lot of people comment about the size of his collection, and what he's going to do when he gets into college. He says he has a plan. Good for him. But seriously, every time he starts one of these threads, the same things are mentioned, and he goes ahead and gets what he wants (for the most part) anyways. I figure if he wants to get something, we might as well be supportive for the animal, even if we don't necessarily like David or the things he's doing. :shrugs: Just IMO.

:roflmao:

SERIOUSLY disagree. You can't "TAME" any snake. You may calm them down, but they'll never be truly tame.

Thanks for the support Robbie! I am going to send you a PM with a few more questions about RRs. Your right you can never tame a snake only calm it. But what I really want to say is thanks for your support ;)

Some people on here have expanded their collections hugely. Who knows what's around the corner for them? Will they be able to afford unexpected vet bills?
Robbie, I hope you don't mind but I'll use you as an example, did anyone question how you would house and feed your snakes as you've got more over the last few months? And how would you feel if they did?
How are people thinking it's ok to judge David in this way. If his mother is ok with his snakes, then he's good to go. She will be supporting him, helping with expenses, helping with the care.
And this is what pisses me off, how I am targeted like a 20-point deer in hunting season on a farm! but look atTortsten he has over 100 animals and everyone loves him!
True, but then they aren't really his "forever" snakes. Every animal he takes in will be a future burden to him mom, as she will be the one taking care of them when he goes to college. I truly believe that 15 is to young to be able to know what the future holds. When I was 15, heck, when I was 18 I had no "life plan". What ended up happening was I got an opportunity (a random, out of nowhere opportunity) to live and work on the other side of Canada for a month. I took it, and I never left. The thing is, if he has a collection that size, and ends up *not* wanting to live with him mom forever, will he limit himself to taking care of his pets first? Or will he grow some wings and fly out on his own, leaving is zoo behind? Neither option sounds that great.

I don't reply to most of his threads because you are right, he doesn't need our approval. But it doesn't mean I don't think this is a bad idea. Snakes aren't pokemon, to be discarded when they no longer fit your life; they're pets. Not to mention, being on your own, barley scarping by is pretty normal for people entering their 20's, I couldn't imagine having the burden of 16 - 20 snakes on top of everything else (plus, good luck finding an apartment that will allow all that).
Various, I think you are getting the wrong vibe about me! You think I am going to leave my snakes with my mom forever. She likes them. On christmas we have snakes out when we open gifts! I have support of peers and family :)
I don't mind in the very least! I know I've expanded quite a bit, especially over the past year and a half that I've been on this forum. But I do have my own plans in place, as well. If questioned, I would explain my plans to them as I had to do on a different forum. But honestly, if people have a problem with how my collection is expanding, I tend to ignore them unless they point out a valid concern, it doesn't matter how many times I have to explain my plans. Although at one point, I'll put my plans and preparations in one post, and then just go back and quote it if someone questions me or my actions again. That would be a lot to type out every time!
Good post Robbie!
Thanks Robbie! Then there's Torsten too. I've not heard a single word against his collection and even read posts showing total approval (including one from Rich)
Exactally!
I can't see the point of questioning anybody about their plans..... I'm older than most of you so I know better than most of you how plans can change..
No matter what you think your plans are now, they will alter as circumstances change throughout your lives.... You may loose a job or loose a partners income or you may connect with another species you haven't even considered yet....
One thing I do know is, the younger you are when you make definites, the more chance you got of not following them......
And teenagers have plans that they have thought out and know they are doing the right thing....
Luckily we now have the internet so we can all look back through old threads and pull them out in years to come and quote from them... LOL
Pulling up old thread at this point would make me look like a moron!

Can I just point out that in your thread title you stated you think you have made a descision? That alone suggests to me there in doubt in your descision. If you knew then nobody elses opinion would matter right? And you wouldn't need to create umpteen threads to announce to us what you are thinking about getting next...

You don't need anybody's approval David, do what you know is best for you and your snakes. You will learn the hard way a few years down the line what impulsive snake buying will do to your life. Particuarly your social life ;)

RR's are so awesome looking!!! I had one for a few weeks (yes weeks...) but i traded her for a corn because i realized that it was a little too agressive for me at the moment. (although the lil corn i got *from the same guy i got the rr from* is almost as aggressive and has peed and musked and bitten me several times. I think if you do the research on a snake and are able to care for it and pay attention to it (handle ect..) then go for it.

and question for Robbie- you got breeding plans for RR's??? i think they're wiked cool and although at the moment cant handle one...perhaps in a few years...... :p

David, here's a good tip for you... Stop saying what you are planning or thinking of getting.... Make up your own mind what you want, then post it when it's settled in....
I never ask advice on here about things I am planning, and I sometimes don't even post them up here when I have them....
It's the way forward.....

Hit the nail on the head.

Why don't we bug anyone but you? Because you really DO "ask" us each time by posting before you act. Don't want us to whine and complain...stop asking. Stop posting each and every month that you want something new.

Ok so I just got home with tubs! :) I got some tall ones but they are not too tall. But enough room I can put branches and stuff in there. I also am gonna use aspen bedding. Any thoughts robbie

and question for Robbie- you got breeding plans for RR's??? i think they're wiked cool and although at the moment cant handle one...perhaps in a few years...... :p

In about 2 years (maybe a little less, because these guys like to EAT), I should be producing albinos and normals. :D

Ok so I just got home with tubs! :) I got some tall ones but they are not too tall. But enough room I can put branches and stuff in there. I also am gonna use aspen bedding. Any thoughts robbie

Aspen works. Just remember what I said about them spilling the water bowls. Be prepared to clean that aspen frequently!

In about 2 years (maybe a little less, because these guys like to EAT), I should be producing albinos and normals. :D

Aspen works. Just remember what I said about them spilling the water bowls. Be prepared to clean that aspen frequently!

Thanks Robbie. Can I weigh the bowls down with marbles?

Back