• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

WOOOT BARRACK OBAMA

I don't know why you had to put it like this. Funny most of the Hispanics I know work their butts off to support their families and have great work ethics.
There are people of ALL races looking for handouts. Some of them are even white! And there are people on welfare because they can't find jobs that are not "looking for handouts" at all but they do need a helping hand. If you ever had to walk a mile in their shoes you might not be so harsh to judge them.

I had the same experience when I was a rough-framer working in Texas. Hard working decent people. I remember a Latino comedian recently saying something like: " As for us Mexican-Americans...we didn't cross the border...the border crossed us"

I am a Spanish-speaking person... I am also a Portuguese-speaking person... And of course, I am a English-speaking person as well.

:shrugs:

Guess that's what I get for posting early in the morning. I admit I mis-phrased a few things. I know there are many hard-working Hispanics and many are good people. I just wish a higher percentage of them actually came into this country legally so they can pay taxes like I do to help support our already over-burdened system. My husband's partner and his wife are from Belgium and has been trying to become citizens for many years. They live and work here, pay taxes, but because the system is over-loaded, he and his wife still do not have the rest of the rights they should be entitled to. And when it's discussed about giving all the illegal immigrants those rights "just because", it gets very difficult not to be angry.

However, back to the southern most part of Florida...have any of you been in the Miami area lately? You would swear you were no longer in America but in Havana instead. I unfortunately had that privilege and was literally afraid for my life. The drugs blatantly sold out in the open more than spoke for the area. The filth was just the icing on the cake. We had to stop and eat in what appeared to be a "nicer" part of town, but because we could not speak Spanish, were made to feel like dirt and were treated very poorly because the waitress now had to speak English. So if I speak poorly of that part of Florida, I go by personal experience and there is NOTHING any of you can say to make me think otherwise.

Your post actually disturbed me enough to look up the welfare recipients statistics. http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-welfareblack.htm Whites were first, closely followed by African Americans by like one percentage point, and Hispanics a rather distant third.
Regardless of your own feelings or experiences you are posting in a public forum and some attitudes are better to keep to yourself than make public. Nobody in this thread was discussing anything about giving illegal citizens these rights, YOU are the one who decided to go there. I think Dale was just making a little joke about the Florida vote.
You do know I am Latina right Susan? I have a really hard time to handle the crappy way your post makes me feel and be able to post about it civilly. Especially with the fact you are a mod on this forum and if I said some of what I think as freely as you do somebody might get an itchy banning finger.

Last edited:
There's actually alot more to it than that, including the major slump in the housing market, a direct result of Clinton's actions but is blamed on Bush because the end result took longer than 8 years to become apparent, which has left a large portion of the work force here without jobs, hence their desire for "change" that unfortunately, will not be forthcoming with Obama in the long-term.

Wonder if I could trouble you to try and support that? Also at what point is a Republican president ever going to be accountable for anything that happens in his administration (by Republicans)? Carter's thanking his lucky stars that Clinton came along and took his whipping boy status, lol.

Guess that's what I get for posting early in the morning. I admit I mis-phrased a few things. I know there are many hard-working Hispanics and many are good people. I just wish a higher percentage of them actually came into this country legally so they can pay taxes like I do to help support our already over-burdened system. My husband's partner and his wife are from Belgium and has been trying to become citizens for many years. They live and work here, pay taxes, but because the system is over-loaded, he and his wife still do not have the rest of the rights they should be entitled to. And when it's discussed about giving all the illegal immigrants those rights "just because", it gets very difficult not to be angry.

However, back to the southern most part of Florida...have any of you been in the Miami area lately? You would swear you were no longer in America but in Havana instead. I unfortunately had that privilege and was literally afraid for my life. The drugs blatantly sold out in the open more than spoke for the area. The filth was just the icing on the cake. We had to stop and eat in what appeared to be a "nicer" part of town, but because we could not speak Spanish, were made to feel like dirt and were treated very poorly because the waitress now had to speak English. So if I speak poorly of that part of Florida, I go by personal experience and there is NOTHING any of you can say to make me think otherwise.

OH WOW! I tried to stay out of this, but now I am beyond upset: Susan have you ever been to east LA, I have. It is a placed filled with culture and ethnic diveristy something you obviously fear rather then embrace. I used to shop in Tres Sierra market no one spoke English and I am blonde and blue eyed, no one treated me bad or made me feel uncomfortable.
If you think drugs are bad on the streets look at corporate America.
I grew up in a neighborhood where three languages were spoken Polish, Hebrew and Italian, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. My grand-parents little English. GO figure.
My hubby is Hispanic shockers I am in a bi-racial marriage. He works hard asks few questions and gets his job done.
There are times in my life I have been sad to be caucasion reading your posts (early morning or not) and when I lived in the Hispanic filled south in the mid 60's. Going from Quantico to Washington DC seeing signs that sad no "n*****s allowed", seperate bathrooms.... Last I heard God be him Christian, Jewish, Muslim.... he created us all and by the Christian bible created us in his image.
As for all of you who say Obama isn't your president if you voted he is, that is democracy.

And when it's discussed about giving all the illegal immigrants those rights "just because", it gets very difficult not to be angry.

"just because" they come from Dictatorships, absolute poverty or seeking family in the land of milk-n-honey?
So much for the " Great American melting pot " eh? kind of a " I got mine you don't get yours" attitude.

People come in all colors and there will always be bad ones, but the majority I believe are decent or trying to be ( including you), I go by personal experience and there is NOTHING you can say to make me think otherwise.

Susan ban me if you will; your narrow minded thoughts and mine have clashed before. You are bigot, you have a right to be that. I am glad I don't live in your county, and would probably love Miami. Maybe just maybe Obama should consult you on the hate crimes laws I'm sure you could fill him in on all the things we should fear and hate in this country people of color, gays...

I am glad I don't live in your county, and would probably love Miami. Maybe just maybe Obama should consult you on the hate crimes laws I'm sure you could fill him in on all the things we should fear and hate in this country people of color, gays...

You're glad you don't live in her country? Why?

That last part seems like needless antagonism.

NovaC, She wrote county not country. ;)

FYI, I'm not sure if they have those in the land of maples ? but they're basically a collection of geographically related cities etc...

Yes the other Susan wrote her county, not her country.
As far needless antagonism don't you think labeling a group of people as dirty lazy, drug using criminals as needless antagonism.
I am proud to be an American, is our country in trouble yes, do we need help yes. I do not however blame any group of people for OUR problems.

Yes the other Susan wrote her county, not her country.

Oh. My mistake. :p

As far needless antagonism don't you think labeling a group of people as dirty lazy, drug using criminals as needless antagonism.
I am proud to be an American, is our country in trouble yes, do we need help yes. I do not however blame any group of people for OUR problems.

I guess turnabout is fair play, but if your intention is to make things better instead of worse than needless antagonism isn't going to help. Attack what she said instead of attacking her. Going about it the way you have is only likely to make people dig in their heels and ignore anything else you say.

Wonder if I could trouble you to try and support that? Also at what point is a Republican president ever going to be accountable for anything that happens in his administration (by Republicans)? Carter's thanking his lucky stars that Clinton came along and took his whipping boy status, lol.

I don't need to say much...Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

I haven't been to east LA. I also won't go into many other areas in most cities where I know that people of my race/culture/religion/whatever are not welcome. These areas exist in just about every city and town and can be "classified" as Caucasian, Negro/African American (or whatever is supposed to be politically correct today), Hispanic, Asian, Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Martian, Canine, whatever. I don't particularly care for Miami and it's particular population. I also would try very hard to avoid Harlem so now you can call be a racist for that group of people. I'm also not going to walk into a masque anytime soon, so I must hate Muslims as well. Oh, and you can also leave out any place with a large group of motorcycles and people with leather jackets that say "Hell's Angels" or any other gang mark. Now if having good survival instincts is bigotry, then so be it.

I have nothing against immigrants, my geneology consists of many immigrants from a variety of countries and cultures, some of which were quite frowned upon when they arrived in this country (Irish, for example). But, they all came into this country legally. To pardon all of the illegal immigrants and granting them citizenship before those people who have gone through the process of legally coming into this country is, IMO, just wrong.

In my defense for some of my earlier statements:

In South Florida, where more than a third of the state's welfare recipients reside...
from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb5553/is_/ai_n22343753

Census statistics comparing Miami-Dade to the rest of Florida (pay particular attention to the % of Hispanics and the lower income level):
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/12/12086.html

Miami's crime rate:
http://miamifl.areaconnect.com/crime1.htm

Lots of general data for Miami-Dade:
http://www.alliance4hs.org/2007_Cluster_PDFs/Workforce_indicators.pdf

This country is full of little cesspools. In fact, they can be found all over the world. Basic human nature creates them. Because I commented on one in particular due to my own personal experience there, many of you have put label on me, calling me a variety of names, and basically loathing my existence. Sounds like your own brand of bigotry to me...

To pardon all of the illegal immigrants and granting them citizenship before those people who have gone through the process of legally coming into this country is, IMO, just wrong.
Again I have to wonder who in this thread is saying or has said the illegal immigrants should all be given citizenship? That is twice you have brought it up.

Let me take something you said in one of your post and just substitute a different race and assumption.

"I know there are many hard-working Hispanics and many are good people. I just wish a higher percentage of them actually came into this country legally"

"I know there are many hard-working whites and many are good people. I just wish a higher percentage of them weren't ignorant rednecks."

Sound kinda bigoted?

Nobody is making you go to any of those places or put you life in danger. I think the only thing people (at least me) are asking is that you tone down your posts or at least think about what you say and how it comes across and hurts the folks on here (like me) who are Hispanic or (like susang) have Hispanic family and friends. You are a Mod, do you want people to think you have a bias? Wouldn't you rather be seen as somebody who is fair minded and non judgemental?

I guess this is about as close as we are going to get for an admission of any wrongdoing from you:
that's what I get for posting early in the morning. I admit I mis-phrased a few things.

Oh also I noticed this by NovaC - our criticism of posts is "only likely to make people dig in their heels and ignore anything else you say."
Only thing is - you had already dug your heels in with this bit:
I go by personal experience and there is NOTHING any of you can say to make me think otherwise.

Given this last bit I don't even know why am I bothering to post. I don't loath your existence, I feel truly sorry for you, that your experiences with another culture have been so bad. It is something that could have enriched your life and broadened your horizons. My own life is much richer from having lived in Guatemala even if not all of it was pretty white picket fence land. Even "cesspools" can have their beauty for those who have eyes to see.

Last edited:
You are a Mod, do you want people to think you have a bias? Wouldn't you rather be seen as somebody who is fair minded and non judgemental?

When was I granted omnipotence to be able to determine ANYTHING about ANYONE posting on the internet?

And I can think of only one instance where my personal opinions were involved in ANY moderating decision on this board, and that was because I considered a specific word to be extremely foul and others did not, and my decision was backed by proof.

I have a right to post my feelings just like everyone else.

Yeah, I've never understood the expectation that mods are somehow the mediators of any discussion. They aren't. They enforce the rules, but they are people too.

Susan, fear is such a dangerous thing, I have many. The differance with you and me is I try to embrace my fears. I was terrrified of rats for 58 years and then after simpering, crying, whining, going in and out of the store I found they are really cool animals and have four as pets. Give me a room full of bikers (been there), non-caucasions (been there), far left Christians (been there), gay weddings, gay dances, biker camp outs...Guess what I'm still here and I wasn't raped, shunned or hurt in anyway.

I also won't go into many other areas in most cities where I know that people of my race/culture/religion/whatever are not welcome.
by the reverse if I came to your town, your church, a restaurant in your town would I and my family be treated this way unwelcome? I am not a Christian, but I thought churches welcome anyone willing to listen to thier message. I've been to predominantly black churches and had a blast, they worship and praise God with thier whole being. I've been to mass where Mariachi's played the music and the mass was in Spanish. I've been to Temple many times. Iv'e yet to go to a Mosque, but would.
I too don't know why I'm bothering with this and you, except when it comes to fear your ideals scare the poo out of me and I want to stay as far from you, your kind and your county as I can.

I was alluding more to the fact that if a mod makes a rude post that is bound to be offensive to some, what are the rest of us supposed to do, report it?
Everyone is entitled to their feelings but when these feelings are this disturbing and inflammatory to others IMO best to keep them to yourself.

I too don't know why I'm bothering with this and you, except when it comes to fear your ideals scare the poo out of me and I want to stay as far from you, your kind and your county as I can.

Well my Hispanic hubby is reading over my shoulder and said he didn't like this part as it made me just like the other Susan, since I can't erase things let me say he's right.

Ok, I'm sorry in advance for what I'm about to say....I mean no disrespect to anyone....but I GOTTA lighten this thing up a little.

This is the winning joke this morning on "Stump The DJ", on WHJY.

As you know President-elect Obama is getting a dog for his little girls. They hadn't had a dog before and wanted to know about raising a puppy in the White House. He visited with the Bushes a few days ago, and got their imput, then decided to talk to former president Clinton. Obama says "What type of dog should I get for my kids". Clinton says (with a gleam in his eye), "Well, a husky female does very well in the oval office".

Like I said before....I'm really sorry....but I just HAD to!

Back