• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Does anyone have a Pitbull?

Dinah

SO the girls and I were out on our bikes when a puppy came running up to us. A cute little brown pitty pup. We already put up a bunch of signs in the neighborhood and we are hoping to find her owners. She is getting along fine with my dog, and everything is fine for the time being, but I don't know anything about owning any terrier type dog, so is there anything special I need to know?

Dinah, I don't but I'm a fan and I have a friend who's very involved.

They're really nice dogs, generally energetic and love to play. They should be EXCEPTIONALLY friendly and tolerant towards humans. Human aggression in this breed warrants euthanasia - you'll find that to be a common sentiment amongst other fans of the breed too (I swear I'm not just being a lunatic, lol).

They are predisposed to aggression towards other dogs, and it's not "all how you raise them", it's genetic, just how some breeds herd, and some breed hunts, etc. Of course you can teach them to behave properly still, and not all APBTs are dog aggressive. It's just something to keep in mind.

Here are some links that I like:
http://www.badrap.org/rescue/breed.html

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/owning.html

I would also check out some of the links on this rescue's page:
http://pnwpbr.rescuegroups.org/

So um... can we have pictures??? PLEASE??

Wait, I forgot to add, dog aggression usually becomes apparently around maturity (so I'm sure the pup is fine with your dog) and also, screw the pictures, can I just have the puppy? LOL!

Just love her and kiss her and hug her and squeeze her and name her anything but George. Oh, and list her as a mix or terrier mix on any and all paperwork because if "Pit" is anywhere, you could run into problems with insurance, liability, etc because of the bad rep they have.

My stupid "terrier mix", Michael, loves everybody, even the neighbor's dogs, but has a bad habit of chewing everything. He's mostly outdoors and I always find the chewed remains of pine cones, sticks, palmetto leaves (including the spines on the stem), every Frisbee given to him, one set of plastic crock food and water dishes, a young mimosa tree was felled (trunk had about an inch and a half diameter), a lawn chair, etc... (which is why he's mostly outdoors) Most Pit-type dogs are not this "chew obsessed". I just got lucky. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the links! We are hoping that her owner will come calling once they see our signs that we put everywhere, but in the mean time I was just you know panicking LOL. I am all about being prepared, it took us a year to get ready and fully research just to get our corn snake, so I'm sure you can see how stressful unexpectedly bringing home a puppy can be. I have a dog (and you should see how much pouting my pommy is doing) and I have had dogs before, but I have never had any sort of terrier, so I don't know what I am doing. I wonder how much energy a pitbull puppy has, and how much exercise I will need to give her while she is staying with us.

I am working on pics actually as we speak....just as soon as I can get her to sit still

They don't grow up for a long time. They maintain that psychological puppy joi de vivre. And like Emily says, when they're grown, you need to know them very well and have them trained very well and pay close attention when they're around other people's dogs. Ours gets along very well with nice dogs and loves to play, but we have to be very careful with him around dogs that are pushy about dominance, as he will eventually get tired of being pushed, and if a fight starts, he will win. For reals.

They're lovely dogs.

I know lots of people have phobias if pitty's but that isn't me. I am just worried because I don't know anything about what she needs. How much exercise is enough for a puppy pit? How much is to much? What if nobody claims her...then how much exercise does a grown pitty need? I mean Lady my pom only needs a ride in my bike basket for her exercise needs LOL!

Right now she is about as tall as my pommy and it has kind of been like a doggy play date at our house. They are so close to the same size that all of our dog toys are perfect for the pup to play with for now. My pommy is used to socializing with other dogs, and the pup seems happy to be in some A/c, with water and some toys to play with.

Really I hope her family claims her. If not I will keep, there is no way I will turn her over to the pound or SPCA she is obviously a pit and I worry she wouldn't get adopted. If it comes down to us taking her in, then we will do obedience classes just like I did with all my other dogs in the past.

Pics to follow soon I think I got 2 of her that were not a blur!

I got two ok pics. It is hard to get an excited puppy to sit still, especially when you don't even know her name.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 76
Nellie, sweet lil girl!

Looks like you have already been given some real good advise and websites.

We have TWO American Pitbull Terries, brother and sister. They are great, loyal, loving and funny as heck! Love her and teach the rules of your home, never let her play with your other pup get too loud or aggressive. Our two love to get each other going but they have a limit and know the rules. They play good with other dogs that want to play, the male will growl through the fence at the old dog out back but that guy starts it. Pits usually wont back down if challenged. Our are protective on leash, in the car, and if you knock on the door.

Sadie Lee...sweet, loves everyone and thinks kisses makes everything all better.

Zeus...big love bug, super loyal, passive and laid back but does like strangers approaching him. He usually wont approach anyone else he knows you.

If we can ever be of help, feel free to ask. There are quite a few members here with Pits and Pit crosses.

Here are ours:

Attachments

• Sadie_1.jpg
    Sadie_1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Sadie 122009.jpg
    Sadie 122009.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Zeus 1212009.jpg
    Zeus 1212009.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Zeus_2.jpg
    Zeus_2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Zeus_Sadie_1.jpg
    Zeus_Sadie_1.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 71
Our vet already said to drop by any time and he would scan her for us really quick. I can't make it there today though so they are expecting us tomorrow. I also called the pound so that way if anyone calls looking for Animal control has our contact info to give them. It never occurred to me to check craigslist. I wonder if I can put up a found ad...I bet I can.

I have always loved pitty faces so all the pics ya'll post are adorable!

If we can ever be of help, feel free to ask. There are quite a few members here with Pits and Pit crosses.

Hopefully she will be claimed but if not dont be surprised when I take you up on that offer!

Any signs or ads for lost dogs should not have the breed listed, if someone in the area is missing a dog they should tell you what type, color etc... they are missing. Someone could see the signs w/ the breed listed claim it is theirs and use it for bait dogs etc... The proper owner will know what they are missing. Don't include pictures either.

What I wrote on the neighborhood signs was "Found brown pit puppy", I planned to ask the person trying to claim the dog what sex and if there was a collar and if so what did it look like. I will be sure to take your suggestions when I post an Ad on carigslist.

My daughter and son-in-law, just adopted a pit. They also have a doxie/chiuaua mix. They get long very well. They have also brought them to visit for weekends with our dog. No problems, she did square off at first with our dog. They never fought.
The only thing my daughter did at first was watch her with the boys as the boys are rough, but even that has been no problem.
I might also add, she had previously been neglected although she is spayed and chipped. The previous owners got tired of her.

So how bad is the general hysteria surrounding pits?

I have heard of people being paranoid but this pup has only been here a few hours and already a family member of mine has heard about it and emailed me an incredibly over-dramatic email all about how now my kids lives are in terrible jeopardy. I did email back and told them what our vet said which is that pits are actually rarely human aggressive and that them being unstable is 100% myth. But I was thinking to myself really I dont even have the dog in my house for a whole day and people are already freaking out...jeez

Back