• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Epic

DustinTaylor

Hey. I'm a new member but these forums have really helped me in the past couple of months i have been a new snake owner. I am absolutely in love with my albino corn snake, named Epic, that i got from the Edmonton Humane Society. She is about 2 years old now, and is more then i ever hoped for! Glad to be here and hopefully i can help some other new snake owners in the future.

technically she is an albino as she's a snow, which is a double homozygous recessive mutation.

In reptiles, albinism just removes melanin (= brown and black pigment) resulting in either white or pink in place where melanin once was. Other pigments within their skin's chromatophores are generally erythrins (= red and orange pigments) and xanthins (= yellow pigments) which cause albino, or as some call amelanistic ("a" means to lack, melanistic being melanin), animals to be brighter or to "clean up" red, orange, and yellow colorations. Albinism is a simple recessive mutation.

However, your Epic is also expressing another simple recessive mutation: anerythrism aka anerythristic aka Black Albino. Anerythristic animals lack the ability to produce erythin pigments (reds and oranges) typically resulting in gray on black or gray on brown animals. Nice examples typically have little to no yellow pigment showing along the chin and neck region, but generally this comes into color as the snake's skin cells sequester carotenoids.

The result of combining albinism with anerythrism is normal, or wild-type, colored offspring. Those offspring are carries of 1 copy of albinism and 1 copy of anerythrism, but since these traits are recessive again the offspring are normal (dominant color to albino or anery) in appearance. When those offspring, or even unrelated animals with the same genetics, are bred to one another, in theory via Mendel's dihybrid cross 1 out of every 16 babies should be a "snow" or an albino anerythristic.

Thus why she is technically a snow. Many people unaware of reptiles and other animals possessing skin pigments other than melanin come to think that any and all animals that are albino are always white. It is typically mammals that fall into the case of albinism equaling white coloration. Interestingly, most albino mammals wind up with yellowed hair. AND dependent upon the type of albinism, such as in humans, some can have white OR caramel colored skin, white, yellowed, or caramel colored hair, and oddly can have red, pink, blue, green, gray, OR brown colored eyes. Red eyes in the case of albinism is just simply the fact that the eye lack any melanin pigment, resulting in light reflecting off of blood vessels within the eye yielding the red or pink appearance.

In a Paul Harvey voice, "and now you know the rest of the story."

I just think it's awesome that you got her from the Humane Society; you probably saved her life. :cheers:

Oh ok, i was told she was albino from who i got her from!

She is an albino. She is what I call a complete albino to those that don't yet know the difference. So you are not wrong, nor was the person that sold her to you.

Albino means lacking pigment and in corn snakes we there are 3 common types of lacking pigment (we actually have tons of color mutations but I won't go into that). The 3 most common one are:

Red Albino - Amelanistic - lacking black pigment
Black Albino - Anerythristic - lacking red pigment
Complete Albino - Snow - Which is both of the two above that makes the snake lack both red and black pigment.

I hope I made that easier to understand. We most often go by more technical or trade names so if you just look up albino you may not find what you are looking for.

BTW she is gorgeous. My first corn snake was a snow. They are wonderful.

Aww she is even staring into the camera! lol OH! and welcome btw! Get info on these forums, be sure to wander around :)

Yea she always sits like that, or she curls up under my shirt with me. She is so gentle and sweet! Really good with strangers too.

Back