• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

is this a good purchase idea? pic included

For $175 CND I can purchase a 3 year old female miami and a 3 year old female okeetee. They are in good health. I spoke with the owner on the phone and did get a good feeling from her. She answered my questions without any waivering or pause and was quite friendly.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-two-female-corns-W0QQAdIdZ27823869

I have a one year old male hypo corn and a male charcoal 6 months old.

I want to breed and am wondering if these females are good to eventually pair with other males. My hope is that in a clutch I would get a few of what the female is and maybe a few what the male is and then mixture hatchlings. Sorry if I am not using the correct terminology. I really am just learning.

With Ball pythons, from what I have researched, "normal" females are a good thing to have as they can help prove traits. I am not sure if this is the case with corns.

I hope I have explained this well. Anyhoo, should I purchase these 2 corns and is this a good price? It feels right.

Also, how old or large should a male be before pairing it with a female?

Hey there. Thanks for responding.

She says the dark one has that silver gray background and admits the pics are crap.

Either way, Are okeetee and miami not just a certain "phases" of normal anyway?

I thought I had done enough reading on the "normals" to determine this but now with your comment, I am not sure.

http://www.iansvivarium.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cornmorphs.html

if they look like the ones on this page, are they a good purchase?
Thanks.
Tracy.

She says the dark one has that silver gray background and admits the pics are crap.

Did you expect the seller saying "Right, you got me, I'm selling normals with fancy names."?

Either way, Are okeetee and miami not just a certain "phases" of normal anyway?

They are a certain phase the corn snake and imho, their look doesn't qualify them as Miami or Okeetee.

I thought I had done enough reading on the "normals" to determine this but now with your comment, I am not sure.

If you want an Okeetee corn snake that includes red blotches, orange background and wide borders, I wouldn't buy. If you want a Miami that has red blotches on a clean silver background, I wouldn't buy.
If you like the snakes, buy them and call them normals.

Greetings

Hi Menhir. I didn't expect the sellet to say, "You got me, but she did say the miami was silver background and that the pic didn't show this well.

I have asked the seller to send better pics. I like the snakes but if they are straight normals as you say, I will ask her to lower the price. Thanks for your time : )

I think they look like normal normals, too. _Maybe_ the one has sort of thicker black borders, but then the other one certainly doesn't look anything like a Miami.

http://www.iansvivarium.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cornmorphs.html

Ok, so even if they _were_ perfect examples of a Miami and an Okeetee, it's not like they carry a gene for either- they are just selectively bred for generations, choosing the best examples each time. You can't inherit the look. There's no gene locus for Miami or Okeetee. If you bred them to anything except one of their own kind, you probably would just get normal normals- and whatever you'd get from the sires. If it were me, I'd probably try to find something to make a project with, with both hypo and charcoal. Maybe you could find normals with cool hets for cheap.

Nanci

Tracy, that's what I would do. Several breeders on here had some normals with KILLER hets earlier in the season. Snakes like that could lead to some awesome projects, even if you do have to wait for them to mature.

If you wait for the right snakes, you won't be sorry.

Tracy, that's what I would do. Several breeders on here had some normals with KILLER hets earlier in the season. Snakes like that could lead to some awesome projects, even if you do have to wait for them to mature.

If you wait for the right snakes, you won't be sorry.

Agreed whole-heartedly. They members of this site always throw up AMAZING deals down in the Corn Snake For Sale section. If I had space or money I'd probably have about 100 corns by now lol. :dancer:

But- is it a problem getting them shipped up to Canada?? Still- it's best to wait for snakes you really love. Not just that are good deals. But if you see those girls in person and love them, even if they are "just" normals, then you should get them.

Nanci

*shrug, I see that in better lighting the "silvery background" snake could be a Miami.. or Miami Phase.

Just because it's not up to Carol's standard that we're used to doesn't mean it didn't come from someone else's Miami line.
If you like the snakes, go for it. Ask if you can check them out in person. As far as buying them for breeding.. Well, I wouldn't. Just because you have a 3 year old female over 300 grams doesn't mean it should produce offspring. :shrugs:

*shrug, I see that in better lighting the "silvery background" snake could be a Miami.. or Miami Phase.

By that definition, half of my normal stock would be Miamis.
Imho, if one has to argue about an animal being a Miami or not, I think it's not. :)

Well, the CORN SAGE has spoken:

"Grasshopper, this choice, only you can make, this is your journey alone."

Thanks guys. I guess if I see 'em and like 'em, I'll get 'em.

Yes, Canada is OUTRAGEOUSLY, stupidly expensive when it comes to getting things across the border and then shipped to your door. I'll wait for the reptile expo or just keep looking 'til one I love comes along.

Grazi!

Back