• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Official Daytona 2008 Thread

Nanci - buy nothing? Are you serious. You must be going for the atmosphere then. I want to get a pic w/ you by the way if we end up there at the same time.

Last year I wasn't into corns so much, I was into cool one-of-a-species eclectic pretty snakes. I was sort of looking at cherryhead torts, but didn't have an enclosure and don't believe in keeping torts in the house. I had read the basic requirements of a bearded dragon, but wasn't really looking for one. Then I saw Isabel...(Shoot, if I'd known how cool she was then I'd have paid twice as much for her!) (Which, come to think of it, in vet bills, I have! Three times as much!) It's kind of overwhelming. First of all, there are all these famous breeders, WITH their babies! There are famous snakes, too, noteably at Rob Stevens'. I had enough fun following Katie around and encouraging her to buy everything! Plus Dave hung out with us, and other people came and went. There's time to make your way around carefully once, then go back to the places you wanted to buy at. By 5:00 or whenever it closes, I still didn't feel like I'd seen everything. Now Joe has a different strategy. He maps out the breeders he wants to visit and races around to their tables to get first pick. Anyway, I won't say I absolutely wouldn't buy a corn, but there would only be a couple things that would interest me, either second females for either my opal stripe project or my avalanche stripe project, or a gorgeous male Miami mot. Or you never know what I might see at Rich Z's, Rich Hume's, Don Soderburg's or Rob Stevens'. Probably nothing I could afford...So just call me or Katie when you get there, and we'll tell you where to find us!

Last year I wasn't into corns so much, I was into cool one-of-a-species eclectic pretty snakes. I was sort of looking at cherryhead torts, but didn't have an enclosure and don't believe in keeping torts in the house. I had read the basic requirements of a bearded dragon, but wasn't really looking for one. Then I saw Isabel...(Shoot, if I'd known how cool she was then I'd have paid twice as much for her!) (Which, come to think of it, in vet bills, I have! Three times as much!) It's kind of overwhelming. First of all, there are all these famous breeders, WITH their babies! There are famous snakes, too, noteably at Rob Stevens'. I had enough fun following Katie around and encouraging her to buy everything! Plus Dave hung out with us, and other people came and went. There's time to make your way around carefully once, then go back to the places you wanted to buy at. By 5:00 or whenever it closes, I still didn't feel like I'd seen everything. Now Joe has a different strategy. He maps out the breeders he wants to visit and races around to their tables to get first pick. Anyway, I won't say I absolutely wouldn't buy a corn, but there would only be a couple things that would interest me, either second females for either my opal stripe project or my avalanche stripe project, or a gorgeous male Miami mot. Or you never know what I might see at Rich Z's, Rich Hume's, Don Soderburg's or Rob Stevens'. Probably nothing I could afford...So just call me or Katie when you get there, and we'll tell you where to find us!

Nanci said it all! LOL!!
I have been known to buy from the big breeders as well as lesser knowns. Last year I went in with snakes already on hold with Lee Abbott and others I had in mind to purchase from certain people. I think I came home with like 13 snakes last year...something like that!

This year - only thing on my list are the San Luis Potosi kingsnakes - but I am the first to admit - I will purchase anything that catches my eye!

I am really excited to see that Don Soderberg will have a table this year. He wasn't on the vendor list as of yesterday - but after the thread with KJUN about the Teressa snakes and then emailing Don directly - I have found that he will be vending this year.

WOW! That's a first! Don always comes, but never vends. He said he will definitely have a table there? I will look forward to it!

I almost always get a keeper or two (or more) each year from Rob and Louise. And I have credit with Walter Smith, so I will be picking up SOMETHING from him! Never know what else might be too good to pass up!

Yeah...I heard Don was technically vending...but he may not be at his table the entire time. ;) KJUN told me that he would be the stand-in seller of Don's aniamls so you'll at least get to see him behind the table.

Yeah - KJUN had mentioned in the Tessera corn thread that Don would be there. I didn't see him on the vendor list for Daytona so I emailed him.
He said that KJUN talked him into it and that he has two tables (whereas normally if he vends somewhere he has four). KJUN will be manning the table if Don is off wandering and taking photos. I did also invite Don to dinner but as of right now he said plans are still up in the air. I am really hoping he joins us again because he is such great company!

Once again I feel so left out living up north. I would LOVE to be able to travel down to Daytona one of these years. I'd hate to think of what I'd come home with if I actually was able to make it down there though. It sounds like you all have such a great time during the show and afterwards at the dinner. I sure wish we had a show up this way as big and fun as Daytona. Be sure to post LOTS of pics for those of us that are unable to make it.

There is nothing more fun! What time is the dinner on Saturday anyway?
I held the room starting at 600pm...but if people show up a little early I don't think it would be a problem. I believe the show closes at 500pm. Figured that would give everyone enough time to stop at hotels/drop off snakes/vendors at the show to close up and get over etc...

17 days to go!!

"...I sure wish we had a show up this way as big and fun as Daytona..."

Although the Tinley Park show (Chicago) is not as big as Daytona, it is still pretty big, and A LOT of fun! Lots of cornsnake people attend, and we often have a dinner on Sat night there, also.

I don't know how far you are from Chicago, but it is worth the drive. Maybe you can make it a long weekend - lots of interesting stuff to do in Chicago! We drive there from Florida, lol! Here is the link to their show, in case you want to come. See you there!

http://www.narbc.com/htm2006/tp_index.htm

Well, I think I have sent a PM to everyone in this thread who has not been to dinner with us before with my cell phone number. If I missed anyone - feel free to PM me.

I know the ol' regulars like Nanci, Kathy, Jeff and Meg etc... know where we are going plus I know where to find most of them at the show! LOL!

Anyone who wants to, can come by my table towards the end of the day to meet up and arrange rides with each other. Chances are that either Gino or I will be taking an empty mini van. Probably no extra seats (to fit all of the expo stuff in it), but lots of floor space for those willing to sit on the floor.

is this an open invitation for everyone to come, or simply all of you that know each other?

I believe the general consensus is that it is for anyone interested in corns, and in meeting people who like corns. I am not the person who organized it, but I never heard anything different the past few years. The more, the merrier, as far as I am concerned.

It is definately an open invitation to anyone who enjoys reptiles. The majority of people are usually from this forum or another cornsnake forum - but we have had turtle people before and some boa people as well I believe.
I have invited Jerry Conway to join us this year as well. I am getting a Solomon Island Ground Boa from him later this year. He vends at the show too.

I think meeting at Kathy's table at the close of the show is a great idea. We have done that before and it really helps in getting everyone to dinner without anyone getting lost - either by carpooling or following each other over.

I will have some printed out maps as well and Jeff has graciously offered to allow me to place some on his table if anyone needs them and is unable to meet up with me...

If anyone else wants some to put on their tables as well - just let me know.

Back