• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

stupid breeders why cant you just leave things be

Starsevol, that is true some pieds do almost look white-sides especially the granites. I am 99% sure there was no pied in the amel motley I used since he, his parents, and grand parents were all in produced my me and the grand parents were here before the pied gene was ever made widely available.

More pure stuff:

Attachments

• high yellow brooks forum.jpg
    high yellow brooks forum.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 145
  • western hog forum.jpg
    western hog forum.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 147
Looove that candy cane and the ultramel anery striped!

I do think however it is a problem that many breeders label their corns hetrozygous for what they can produce in combination with the homozygous/co-dom genes they carry, instead with what they are really het for. Way confusing... noobs do not understand genetics better because of that. Above I see the example of an ultramel anery het golddust while it really is an ultramel anery het caramel OR an anery het ultra, amel and caramel :p So since we were talking about labeling snakes right... I thought I'd bring it up.

I completely see your point. However for some people you have to do the "math" for them so to speak to show what the pair would produce. I do explain to people how this stuff works when I make a sale.

Very good point though.

Attachments

• fire stripe forum.jpg
    fire stripe forum.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 141
Good to hear :) I do know most breeders who do the same do it knowingly for the reason you mention, but I prefer another approach. I just mention the possible offspring seperately. But to be honest, at first glance I cringe a bit seeing it. Usually from the context and other variables it does become clear whether it is because of lack of knowledge or purposely.

Love the fire stripe!

Regarding the white-sided gene. I highly suspect that the black rat white-sided and brooks white-sided gene are compatible. I plan on testing this possibly this year but definitely next.

Gerard this is a 25 lb flathead catfish I caught last summer. Probably a minnow by your standards but it's a nice one for me.

Yeah, I'm a big guy, so the fish doesn't look that big compared to me.

Attachments

• female white sided 2 forum.jpg
    female white sided 2 forum.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 122
  • ryan's flathead forum.jpg
    ryan's flathead forum.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 122
Regarding the white-sided gene. I highly suspect that the black rat white-sided and brooks white-sided gene are compatible. I plan on testing this possibly this year but definitely next.

Gerard this is a 25 lb flathead catfish I caught last summer. Probably a minnow by your standards but it's a nice one for me.

Yeah, I'm a big guy, so the fish doesn't look that big compared to me.

From what Gerard and I both already know about it, at least some WS black rats were already crossed to make some of the original white-sided "floridana" in the hobby years ago, but the source is totally unreliable to say the very least and another guy I know has an insanely in-depth history on them I saved, as well as location data, dates, and the people involved in the capture and breeding.

So in other words, it sounds like you are going to make absolutely certain there are hybrid crosses out in the hobby to later dilute the others out there now if they are authentic L.g.floridana, right?.........*heavy sigh* :nope:

Did you "noodle" that cat?

I would post some HUUUGE world-class snook I have caught in the past, but Rich already told us about not posting more fish here Ryan. But anyway, the largest of them I actually landed was measured by me (a retired carpenter) at a whopping 44-3/4 inches!! and 25" in circumference. Doing a length x girth(squared) devided by 800 formulation, it weighed 35 lbs.

~Doug

So in other words, it sounds like you are going to make absolutely certain there are hybrid crosses out in the hobby to later dilute the others out there now if they are authentic L.g.floridana, right?.........*heavy sigh* :nope:

I think the hybrids would be the snakes getting diluted...unless someone plans to add more ratsnake to the mix regularly? Look at it this way-now you'll have some known WS hybrids to compare any other lineages to. If you want to avoid hybrids in your collection, you can look for markers in these and use that knowledge when assessing "pure" whitesided FL kings.

"New World" and "Old World" (formerly) Elaphes do not create hybrids when bred to each other. They produce slugs. Many have tried and got mold. Yum yum. Egg shaped cheese. As far as I know.

Just wanted to comment on this small section. I know that crosses have been done with corns and the Japanese (Kunisar Island) rat snake (Elaphe Climacophora), and that one of those offspring was owned by a member of this site. I wish I could remember their username, but I believe they're long gone now.

Your right Doug, I forgot about Rich's warning about no more fishing stuff.:-offtopic
My bad Rich.

Actually the animal I will be using to test the white-sided gene with is a white-sided Mexi-Brooks (50% mexican black king 50% brooks king). Even if I did use a "pure" brooks the babies from a brooks x beast corn breeding would look WAY different than either black rats or brooks or corns for that matter.

I return your heavy sigh with one of my own.:sobstory:

I think the hybrids would be the snakes getting diluted...unless someone plans to add more ratsnake to the mix regularly? Look at it this way-now you'll have some known WS hybrids to compare any other lineages to. If you want to avoid hybrids in your collection, you can look for markers in these and use that knowledge when assessing "pure" whitesided FL kings.

Well, I have never been real excited about most of the floridana morphs anyway, so again, those will never have any bearing on what I ever work with anyway.So other hobbyists would ultimately have to deal with what you guys produce.

~Doug

Again, it's not a problem I see, it's a problem. Attitude comes from the lack of respect for the stuff other people like. What I like cannot affect you, only you can affect me. Don't get bent out of shape, how much longer would you like to keep talking about the same 2 things? Do your thing and enjoy yourself, if you feel the need to defend yourself that's fine but I will not say anymore to you. Let's be friends.

This is what it's all about anyway.
aa97b4e0.jpg

I agree........love the photo too!.......priceless! :)

~Doug

I also agree, it's all about future generations getting to enjoy what we have all worked so hard on. However, they should have the choice of one of Doug's "real Hondurans" or one of my Brookled Ratdurans (25% yellow rat 25% brooks 25% honduran 25% speckled king).............het amel.:cheers:

Attachments

• cornelson1 forum.jpg
    cornelson1 forum.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 139
I also agree, it's all about future generations getting to enjoy what we have all worked so hard on. However, they should have the choice of one of Doug's "real Hondurans" or one of my Brookled Ratdurans (25% yellow rat 25% brooks 25% honduran 25% speckled king).............het amel.:cheers:

Ryan, do you even know the difference between a hobby "Honduran" and an L.t.hondurensis?..LOL!!

If you think I am missing something, or can give me a lesson on them I'm all ears my friend....... :eek:

~Doug

Sure I know the difference, based on your website. As I said earlier I don't work with a lot of milks. As far as I'm concerned and probably at least 75 to 80% of other breeders/hobbyists a honduran is a honduran as long as it's not a hybrid. If they were crossed into one of the other subspecies 30 generations ago at this point I guess it's too late isn't it.

Your not all ears b/c you aren't hearing anything the pro-hybrid crowd is saying. I have no problem with what you do and I will leave you in peace to breed what you want all I ask is you do the same for me and others who share my views.

At this point we are beating a dead horse.........:argue:

Attachments

• female zigzag cornduran 1413 forum 1.jpg
    female zigzag cornduran 1413 forum 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 138
Back