• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

NBA player comes out

I hope he gets signed somewhere. He's old and frankly not very good any more, but he's a big center with playoff experience. He could make some headway changing attitudes. Journalists agree that the NBA has far and away the most bigoted locker rooms in sports. They are small teams made up of largely urban players. As with all culture changes, it just just takes time and realizing that people don't have to make you uncomfortable just because they aren't exactly like you. Good luck, Jason.

More a college hoops fan, but straight & my response was "not surprised, hope he's not too discriminated against." May have been less surprised if it had been Christian Laettner or Baron Davis.

What are the theories on how sexuality is inherited (that's not the word I'm looking for)? His identical twin brother isn't gay. Does that help or hinder the understanding of these things?

Last I read (and I'm really a really awful gay man and tend to not read GLBT articles too much), they believe it is caused by a hormone imbalance in the mother at a certain point in pregnancy. I believe they ruled out a specific gene. One thing I found interesting is that if there is an older gay sibling, younger siblings are likely to be also gay. I don't know how much science there is behind that, but I thought it interesting. Of course the last time I read all of this was at least 7-8 years ago, so take it as you will.

I am really not a big sports fan, but I don't really see what it matters if a basketball, football or any other sports figure is gay or not. They shouldn't have to fear being who and what they truly are.

I am really not a big sports fan, but I don't really see what it matters if a basketball, football or any other sports figure is gay or not. They shouldn't have to fear being who and what they truly are.

I quite agree with that. My step-daughter came-out last year and she had a load of backlash but she is who she is and, as are every other human being, is entitled to her own choices. It does not matter what you do for a living, it is down to your own personal genetics. No body has the right to say it is wrong just because it is wrong for them

Spiffy! It's about time there's been an openly gay pro-athlete.

I quite agree with that. My step-daughter came-out last year and she had a load of backlash but she is who she is and, as are every other human being, is entitled to her own choices. It does not matter what you do for a living, it is down to your own personal genetics. No body has the right to say it is wrong just because it is wrong for them

The sentiment in your post is fantastic, and I'm sure your step daughter very much appreciated the support. But I do have one question: is the part I bolded referring to her sexuality overall, or specifically coming out?

I heard him talking about it on the news, and he says, to paraphrase, "I kept waiting for someone else to come out, I didn't intend to be the first."

I'm so tired of this being a big deal. I wish we could just move on and be humans and not worry about what everyone is doing in the bedroom.

Spiffy! It's about time there's been an openly gay pro-athlete.

The sentiment in your post is fantastic, and I'm sure your step daughter very much appreciated the support. But I do have one question: is the part I bolded referring to her sexuality overall, or specifically coming out?

It meant that she is entitled to make her own choice as far as her sexuality is concerned. She is actually bi-sexual and has chosen to stop hiding this from family and friends. For a 17 year old, as she was at the time, and where we live is a small village where people love to gossip, i am proud of her for standing up for who she is. Whether she has a female or male partner is entirely her choice, so i suppose my statement was aimed at both, her sexuality and the fact that she came out.

Nanci I hope it'll stop being a big deal too. But that day can only come when I can walk down the street holding another male's hand and not get harassed for it. We're on the way, but we're not quite there yet.

Well, you can come to Cornsnake Supper Club in Daytona and hold another man's hand, and you _definitely_ will fit right in!!

Back