• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

We found a Tiny Turtle

Dinah

I was just walking in the yard when I noticed this little guy. We brought him inside just long enough to snap these pics. We are pretty sure that he or she will get much larger because we have seen similar but much bigger versions of him in the yard before. One pic is a close up and one is him next to some nail clippers just to show scale.

Hopefully I do it right and the pics show up.

Attachments

• MicroTurtle1_640.jpg
    MicroTurtle1_640.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 355
  • MicroTurtle2_640.jpg
    MicroTurtle2_640.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 356
We thought he was adorable. There was a chorus of little girls saying "Oh Mommy it's so cute, he is such a tiny baby!"

Aw! Cute! I LOVE turtles! Eventually I'm planning on owning one or two starting from a tiny baby like that one!

What is he??

A cutie!

Actually, we don't really know :dunce: LOL, but we have seen turtles that look similar to him, just bigger on the property before. I might have a pic of the bigger ones somewhere, I will have to look.

This is not the kind of turtle I think it is, but while I was looking for that pic, I also found this, it is a box turtle that we found in our yard about a year ago. Although, I know almost nothing about turtles so anything I say regarding what kind it is can totally be wrong. Also attached is a snake from our yard . We are really lucky to live where we do because we are always seeing cool stuff in the yard.

The other turtle pic must be on my husbands computer, if I find it I will put it up.

Attachments

• YellowBox.jpg
    YellowBox.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 348
  • BlueEye.jpg
    BlueEye.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 347
Cute 'Striped Musk Turtle'. It'll need a shallow tank, to barely cover his shell, so he can sleep on the bottom of the tank and not have to wake up and swim to the top for air every time it wants a fresh breath. They like meat. The smallest hatchling turtle species in the world. You can put a newborn on top of a US dime, and look down it, and still see the edge of the dime all the way around.

You are awesome. I had a feeling someone would know about them. I went ahead and googled them and the pics of them as adults are exactly what I was thinking it was. The info you gave about their size is really cool. Thanks!

I found something similar in the hospital parking lot a couple years ago. It was about the size of a quarter, so a little bigger. I took it out of the parking lot & down to next to the pond behind the hospital & left it. I wish I had a picture....

Cute! I was going to guess a mud turtle. It is hard for me to tell the difference between a mud and a musk turtle. I used to own a Mississippi mud turtle. They are a lot of fun.

That little guy is a striped mud turtle. They only grow to be 3-4 inches as adults. I have an Eastern mud and he was 3/4 of an inch when I got him they are so tiny and adorable but they tend to think they are snapping turtles lol.

Wow! what a cute turtle. My father found a very small baby snapping turtle(auctually, he found a hatching nest being eaten by a few seagulls. He and the dude he was with shooed the birds, and each took a baby to show their kids. Both turtles got released once they grew a little big) and kept him for a little while. My father was really the one taking care of it at the time, we named her Shelly, for the latin name. (i cant remember the exact spelling, but it was something like shelledria serpentina.at least thats how it sounds)

and i have to ask...anyone know what type of snake that is? its very beautiful.

Back