• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Blue eyes, a trait to breed for?

Kaynein

How common are blue eyes in corn snakes?

I have a ghost motley (anerythristic + hypomelanistic + motley) and he has blue eyes. Is there money to be made from blue eyed offspring? Is that a trait some breeders will try for.

Picture related. The picture doesn't do his eyes justice.

Attachments

• 263397_10150631677855511_741065510_18799398_7639014_n.jpg
    263397_10150631677855511_741065510_18799398_7639014_n.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 110
I don't think anyone has really done any work to try to perpetuate the blue eyes. It's not common, but not terribly *un*common either. It's more of a "oh nifty, my ghost has blue eyes" thing.

Eye color is morph dependent. There are already a few that consistently have blue eyes...

Oh, okay. I was just curious. I'm far too much of a novice, and more of a simple hobbyist to ever consider breeding but its nice to think about.

Right down the road from me :)...Pretty, where's he from?

He's actually from a friend, whom acquired him from a pet store. He was given to me after the friend had too much trouble trying to get the youngster to feed. He eats just fine for me. :)

His name is Kaa.

I really love blue eyed snakes and would love to see them show up more. I'm also not sure how easy breeding for eye color would be.

Usually it is only the light blue/gray iris of the eye that gives their overall eye a blue appearance. They can can have black pupils or very sometimes deep ruby-red(bloodred) pupils. As a matter of fact, I took your photo and britened it up by over-exposed it up drastically and it "appears" to have extremely dark red pupils.

I took note of some anerythristics I had back in the very early 90's that had what seemed to be blue/grey irises and dark indigo/midnight blue pupils.

The trait is very asthetically pleasing to the eye..... :dancer:

~Doug

Back