• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Newest or Rare(ist) Morph?

Tim

You maybe cranking but you are doing things right as far as breeding corns,you always pick out the best stock thats available to start your projects.Once you really start to see the results of all the work you have put into your hobby,you will satisfy yourself.I know its a tough long road to get to were you want to be.I think in the long run you will be happy with your results.As far as the other poster,I suppose its best to forgive.I know holding grudges only hurts the person who has one.What is really hard, is to be understanding of a situtation,when everything that happened trys to get swep under the carpet.Sorry if this has got to off topic

Unless there are any other yet to be made public morphs the Calico is unique to date. I say Calico because I haven't seen it called anything else. It remains to be seen if the trait is heritable. There are several Tesseras out there now. Unless there is another Calico the fact that there is one known to exist makes it unique and therefore the most rare morph out there.

What do you mean by calico? If you mean the normals that get white with age (and blisters in most of them), that gene has been around for over a decade. That's the first inheritable phenotype to go by that name. If there is a new "morph" with that name, then they picked one with a lot of nasty baggage attached to it. :(

I'm talking about the latter. I called it Calico because it seems to be the name most people have associated with it. I really don't know what it has been named or if it has been named. I'm familiar with the original calico, and you're correct, I wouldn't want anything of mine associated with it! LOL

I'm talking about the latter. I called it Calico because it seems to be the name most people have associated with it. I really don't know what it has been named or if it has been named. I'm familiar with the original calico, and you're correct, I wouldn't want anything of mine associated with it! LOL

Since you've probably confused more people than just me, we would like a little more information on this "new morph" with only a single specimen. A photo would be REALLY nice.

Could not get it to work. Do a search for calico corn on this site, and follow the thread 'Calico Corn Information?'

Not too long ago at the LA zoo, they had a snake that looked very similar to that one. It was all white with black specks on it, and all they said it was was a rat snake. Definitely interesting.

Could not get it to work. Do a search for calico corn on this site, and follow the thread 'Calico Corn Information?'

Oh...that snake, which the general consensus has determined to not be a corn snake but either a Texas rat, black rat or hybrid.

I must say that I have held this snake on several occasions, and it is a corn snake as far as I can tell. It was w/c in South Carolina, so there goes the Texas Rat theory. It is also from an intergrade zone where there are many more greenish ratsnakes than blacks. The most convincing aspect for me is the fact that every speck of color is correct for a corn, and the location of every speck of color is correct for a corn. If it is a hybrid what snake crossed with a corn to make it? I know of no morph in any kind of ratsnake that causes this appearance. All the scale counts and locations are also correct for a corn. I don't know how many people who make up the general consensus have actually seen this snake in person, but Bill Love drove up to photograph it and agreed that it was a corn. These comments and more photos can be found on the Field Herp forum. I'll try placing the link here. If this does not work I can e-mail the link. There are more and better photos, and, as usual, lots of people expressing doubt. I know how frustrating it can be to not be believed. I found a new morph of a greenish ratsnake and posted pics only to have stones cast at me in the same manner this snake was reacted to. The last thing I want to do is argue with anyone, but trust me, this is a corn, and the proof will come out soon enough.

I have tried to link up the FieldHerp Forum thread, but it gets abbreviated. I can send it to anyone who wishes to see it.

Just to say from a newbie's perspective following this thread has been pretty insightful lol
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Copper Corns

Copper corns are the rarest corn I have seen.Look at JMG Reptiles for pictures.It looks like someone cut 2 corns in half and spliced the 2 together.I have a trio of these guys and those pics do not do them justice.

Copper corns are the rarest corn I have seen.Look at JMG Reptiles for pictures.It looks like someone cut 2 corns in half and spliced the 2 together.I have a trio of these guys and those pics do not do them justice.

Looks like a rosy blood but to a lesser degree?

dc

Oh...that snake, which the general consensus has determined to not be a corn snake but either a Texas rat, black rat or hybrid.

Just curious, what kind of factual proven research has this "general consensus" done to prove this theory?

I must say that I have held this snake on several occasions, and it is a corn snake as far as I can tell. It was w/c in South Carolina, so there goes the Texas Rat theory. It is also from an intergrade zone where there are many more greenish ratsnakes than blacks. The most convincing aspect for me is the fact that every speck of color is correct for a corn, and the location of every speck of color is correct for a corn. If it is a hybrid what snake crossed with a corn to make it? I know of no morph in any kind of ratsnake that causes this appearance. All the scale counts and locations are also correct for a corn. I don't know how many people who make up the general consensus have actually seen this snake in person, but Bill Love drove up to photograph it and agreed that it was a corn.

Now, Jim seems to have some factual eveidence (scale count) of this being a corn snake.
Not to mention a very good question, what kind of rat snake is there that has this Homo appearence?

This is simply a Kastanie/Chestnut.....considering this may VERY WELL BE that same trait in Don Soderberg's Rosy Bloods (which will be proven very soon) this trait would not be rare at all, seeing Don has produced the Rosy Bloodreds for years.

Walter,
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

That's not really a new morph, just a new combination. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think OP was asking about new morphs a la Tessera, Kastanie, etc...

Here is the definition of Morph:

morph 2 (môrf)
n. One of various distinct forms of an organism or species.

[From Greek morphē, form, shape.]

Walter,
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

Back