• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed...

steve roylance

the similarities between the Sunrise mutants and the Mandarins?

I wish I had pics of the Sunrise babies. Does anyone else remember seeing them at Daytona? They started off life looking like colorful Snows and eventually gained color as they grew. Im not jumping the gun on this by all means, but is it possible we sent some of these to Germany, and they were out crossed to normals or other color mutants producing Kastanies?
Again just a thought.

I don't know enough about the sunrise morph (barely anything, in fact), and am barely a novice concerning the Kastanie morph to make any sort of judgement or form an opinion about the possibilities of the same gene being involved. You may even need to through toffee and maybe buf into a discussion like this...and I'll sit back, learn, and hope it stays civil. ;)

I just saw them on VMS' page the other night. I'm with Susan, I haven't seen enough or know enough about them, or Kastanies, to even have an opinion :shrugs:

TBH I haven't seen enough examples, of adult Mandarins or Sunrises, to have a good sample base in which to make an "educated opinion" (breeding trials aside), as to whether or not they are the same, but do have some "thoughts".

There does seem to be some resemblance in that both the Sunrise and the Mandarin are born looking, more or less, like Snows ... then developing more & more color (Amel).
However ...

If the Sunrise and Mandarin were the same, it doesn't account for the white speckling/scales that the Sunrise develops and the Mandarin does not (as far as I know).

Also, thus far (key words are "thus far" ;) ), adult Sunrises ... while "Sunglow like" ... seem to have a cooler (vs. warmer) red, and red-orange, color.
Of course, various factors can account for this difference (as far as coloring), and who knows if things will change, but it is a wee bit of a difference at this point in time.

So ...:shrugs:

I wonder why there are no pics of adult sunrise corns available ath the site, though the link says so, and they are advertised suggesting they are proven. If they are proven there should at least be one adult available, right? Further, usually new genes are quite expensive, especially combined with others... hwhy are these sold for 250 only?

The trait/morph has proven out as inheritable (recessive).
Photos, of adult/s, do exist. I have one, of an adult, myself (not of Sean's) ... but it is not mine to share (would need to get permission).
Why Sean has not posted photos, of his adults, I do not know.:shrugs:

The only similarity I see is during the 1st couple months.:shrugs:

That is where the primary similarity lies. Otherwise ... :shrugs:
I am still a bit dubious that the Sunrise Amel and Mandarin are the same. However, I guess time (& concrete proof) will tell one way or the other.

Here are some pics of a Sunrise Amel Motley pair that I have. My pics may not be the best since they were just "quickie pics".
I have really been enjoying watching their changes. Just wish I had been taking pics all along.:( Also love the deep red that has been coming in.:)
Since they are not even a year old, speckling has not come in yet. The speckling should come in due time.

The first two pics are of the male. First showing what he looked like, in 2011 a bit after hatching/shedding (not my pic), and the second pic is what he looks like now (I took the pic today).

The 3rd & 4th pics are of the female. Again, first showing what she looked like in 2011 (not my pic) and, then, what she looks like now (I took took the pic today).

Attachments

• Sunrise Amel Mot - M 2011.jpg
    Sunrise Amel Mot - M 2011.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 439
  • Sunrise Amel Mot - M 2 03-11-12 a.jpg
    Sunrise Amel Mot - M 2 03-11-12 a.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 438
  • Sunrise Amel Mot - F 2011.jpg
    Sunrise Amel Mot - F 2011.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 436
  • Sunrise Amel Mot - F 2 03-11-12 a.jpg
    Sunrise Amel Mot - F 2 03-11-12 a.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 439
thanks for sharing those pics. Would be neat to see them in another year to see what if any changes take place.

These pics show my male, a stripe and the female a motley stripe. I've used arrows to point out where they're just now starting to show the loss of color in their stripes. I've seen their older sibling and they are smokin'! Bright reddish-orange with white stripes! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:1/2

Attachments

• DSC_5208-1.jpg
    DSC_5208-1.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC_5209-1.jpg
    DSC_5209-1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 406
  • DSC_5207-1.jpg
    DSC_5207-1.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 404
So I did a test breeding to see if my theory was correct. Kastanie (Het Fire) X Sunrise (see pic) and the anticipation is killing me! The eggs are at day 63 right now so literally any minute we'll see the results.

So, if these turn out to be Kastanie/Mandarin what should we call them? Do we stop calling them Sunrise and just call them Mandarins? Or are the colors so different that we call them what they've always been labeled? Kinda like different Amel variants. Both are Amels but one is a Candy Cane the other Reverse Okeetee.

My theory was that maybe Kastanie/Mandarins stay more orange than red because of line breeding and/or origin. A lot of the Kastanies here came from RosyBloods/ Keys variants. Could this explain the color difference?
I had a friend years ago pick up a pair of Sunrise mutants at an expo, and I told him to breed it out to a classic to see what the Non-Amel version would look like, but he never did, as he just wanted to produce Homozygous animals to sell :( I asked the breeder of those Sunrise Corns if any had made a trip to Germany? His reply, heck I wholesaled those things to Germany every year! HUH!!??

I believe Don did a test breeding between Java Stripe and Sunrise Motley and from what I see there is NO difference between the two! They even developed the same white flecking in the Motley form commonly seen on adult Sunrise Motley mutants. Is this a clue that this gene is everywhere just playing a joke on us? The Kastanie gene IS highly variable. I hate to bring it up but Mahogany also is very similar.

Anyway just wanted to ressurect this thread because hatching time is so close, and wanted everyone's opinion on what to call them if they turn out to be Kastanies/Mandarins. And if it's not the same gene at work here, we're gonna have a bigger mess because I don't know how the heck I'll be able to tell the F2s apart LOL!

Attachments

• DSCN3573.JPG
    DSCN3573.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 316
So, when I first saw the Sunrise Corns back in the late 90s, I thought, man I really wanna breed these to a Classic, hold some babies back, breed those together, and see the non-Amel version of this morph. Never did get the chance to do it though :(

Then a few years ago when I first saw Kastanies I said BINGO! This is the Non Amel version of those "Hypoerythristic Amels" (Sunrise) I saw years ago!!!

It wasn't until this year that I was able to prove my suspicions were correct. It seemed so obvious that it was the same gene.

Well we have an answer now. Here is the result of breeding a Kastanie (Het Amel Diffused) to a Sunrise.

Enjoy the Kastanie and Mandarin babies that just hatched today! :dancer:

Attachments

• DSCN3760.JPG
    DSCN3760.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCN3761.JPG
    DSCN3761.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCN3762.JPG
    DSCN3762.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCN3765.JPG