• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

This is why I will never own anything bigger than a Morelia

Oh. My. Gosh. I'm glad he was (relatively) OK after that bite.

My Indigo is my limit, and I'm thankful he's not a constrictor. 8' and slender.

I used to work for a man who had three retics, he had converted bedrooms in his house for them and took husbandry and safety precautions to a level I've never seen outside of a zoo. He missed a week of work once when one of his retics tagged him in the shoulder. It was a strike and release, with no constricting, but it took him months to regain full use of his right arm.

Oh. My. Gosh. I'm glad he was (relatively) OK after that bite.

My Indigo is my limit, and I'm thankful he's not a constrictor. 8' and slender.

I used to work for a man who had three retics, he had converted bedrooms in his house for them and took husbandry and safety precautions to a level I've never seen outside of a zoo. He missed a week of work once when one of his retics tagged him in the shoulder. It was a strike and release, with no constricting, but it took him months to regain full use of his right arm.

That's crazy! I'm glad it wasn't worse.
I see the power that my Carpet Pythons have in their feeding response, & I can only imagine how powerful the Retics would be. No.Thank.You. LOL

I'm terrible at necroing threads, but I feel some of the points in this thread need to be properly addressed for future keepers. I hate some of the things said against large snakes and I sure hope everyone doesn't come reading this thread getting negative impressions or taking some of the ideas here seriously...

The bite in the picture above is from a large male. I have seen a few of these bites over the years. In breeding season- males seem to have pretty nasty hormone spikes. Most high end breeders know leave males well alone during this season, as they can be pretty testy around breeding season. Some more novice keepers choose to randomly work with males and free handle them and get pretty lax, that is when accidents happen.
One bit of advice that i am aware of....

Never...I mean NEVER allow a retic or burmese to make direct eye contact with

you! These guys are smart!
Burms are not overly smart, retics are but that's not the point. Looking into their eyes is only a problem when dealing with females on eggs. Do what you want, but don't let them see your eyes and you're usually pretty safe. I look into my retics eyes, and it's a pretty cool experience, they are for sure an animal that looks back at you, and you just know they are thinking something up there.

I think anything larger than a morelia should only be owned by the most dedicated reptile keepers. Because an 8' jungle carpet and an 8' BCI are two different animals. Granted the jungle is probably meaner, the BCI is stronger. A two person animal for sure. Not knocking any burm owners or anything, just thinking out loud.
8' is not a two person animal for most people to be honest- and with so many advances in care of giants/large constrictors even a novice keeper can successfully get into some dwarf/superdwarf stuff and be just as safe around them as around some of the pits (bulls/pines)

Any constrictor over 6 ft should never be handled alone. the rule is one person for every 6 ft. Hardly anyone ever follows the rule though. Gets people hurt or even killed and creates more legislative fodder for the cannon. I've gotten some decent bites from my chondros but none requiring stitches. Have dug a few teeth out of my arm weeks later though.
The rule is bad and outdated and strongly pushed by people who are terrified and or ignorant of big snake handling. I've had several bullsnakes 6'-8', and the idea that I need a second person to hold that snake is silly. I mean if you're a 14 year old kid I'd agree, but if you cant single handedly handle a 6' snake, you have ZERO business owning it.

People get hurt of killed because of poor feeding practices, not by "handling rules". Besides, more people die of beaver attacks every year than large snakes. More people are killed by icicles every year than have been killed by large constrictors in the last 30 years combined ;)

Our rtb is 6'6", the carpet python well over 7' and that's about as much "snake" as I like to handle. I don't feel retics, burms, anaconda's etc are for anyone but the most experienced keepers. We are potential food to any 20 foot snake; it may not choose to put you on its menu...but it could, and you vs a 20' constrictor is a bad headline waiting to happen. Jmho
I've handled a few 20 foot snakes, and no, you are still too large, and your shoulders are too broad for a snake to eat. We are about as edible to a large snake as an elephant. It isn't possible unless somehow someone is dumb enough to put a retic/burm/rock/conda around their newborn child or very very young kid.

And that is the problem. The common keeper rarely builds an enclosure that is suitable for a snake that size not sets up the precautions that allow safe handling of snakes that size. I've worked with some giant snakes in my years and common sense will take care of a LOT of the issues with these things getting you. Using shift cages and doors will eliminate a whole host of problems as well. I used to work with my large burms "alone" but that was because I was never really alone with them. I used shift doors and cages so the snake was always one cage away from me and there was always a door between me and the snake. I would clean up and leave food on the non-snake side and then remove the door when the cage was locked. The door was a 3/4 inch melamine piece that would divide the cage in half and I always kept the snake on one side while I worked on the other. It was the same type of deal when working with king cobras, retics, anaconda, large rattlers...anything that can really get you good.
Shift cages/doors sound like people who are afraid of the snake. If you can't work with it properly don't own it. I hook train them, remove them from the cage, put in a locking tote, clean the cage, put back. Standard procedure used by a vast majority of keepers and it's perfectly safe. Problems arise at feeding time, or people who don't learn to kill feeding responses properly. I work with my snakes daily, and all are perfectly calm and fine to interact with. Although, I can see if you stuck them in a cage and only used shift doors that an animal would become unaccustomed to human interaction and become more dangerous/wary. I find that more dangerous myself. ;)

Honestly I would like to see retics, burms, and anacondas go to a "have a permit to own" type of deal in all states. Vendors out to make money don't really have a lot of scruples when it comes to sales. I listened to some of the most unreal crap from a retic peddler at the Columbia show three weeks ago.

"If you hold them every single day, they will stay tame as kittens forever." Bull crap.

Nonsense like that only ends with more snakes owned by inexperienced people and more people doing stupid stuff with big constrictors. The average joe-blow hobbyist does not need a retic or a burm.

Both my ex-husband and I were very experienced with burms, so we figured the retics would not be that much more challenging. Wrong-o. Burms are slow and lumpy. Retics are big, slim, fast and wicked smart.
Most vendors are VERY good these days about making sure retics end up in good hands, and they educate owners very well. If you hold and and interact with your average retic, and keep it properly, they will stay perfectly tame. Might you get randomly bit? Sure, but you run that risk with ANY animal you own.

Permits are silly, retics are not what they where years ago when the first imports where brought in and they where defensive and scared as hell of people. That is where they have such a bad rep from. Considering so many breeders are working to get stuff down into the superdwarf/dwarf range- I would also say that yes retics are becoming more and more for the average keeper. a 6'-12' snake is more than manageable for someone to keep. You aren't pushing for permits for boas, when I've been struck at and nailed by boas more than retics and burms combined (condas another story), and they get 6-12' !

Although I will agree, a burm and a retic are a DRASTICALLY different animal. I got my first retic after a similar event. I had a 10' burm and decided to rescue a 10' retic (it was 14' when I got there LOL), and within 10 minutes of interacting with it I knew it was a completely different animal. Burms just sit there, retics actually have a thought process to them !

CM....when I say any constrictor over 6 ft...I didn't mean a damn ratsnake! I meant the large constrictors like burms or retics. Whether or not it can eat you is NOT the point. A large constrictor CAN kill you. In a feeding response or just because they can strike and wrap. A smaller person very well could be in trouble with an 8 ft. retic around them and a larger snake than that can even kill a man..people have been killed by their own large constrictors. My good friend has a 12 ft burm that she has to care for when her husband is away. The snake is extremely heavy and she cannot manage the snake safely IMO. If for some reason their very docile burm decided that it was feeding time or whatever and she was alone while cleaning, she very well could be killed or seriously injured. There are some rules that really SHOULD be kept. I do bow to your knowledge but again, you have the experience with many snakes of this type and the average owner does not. It's easy to get complacent when you spend all the time with your snake and nothing happens. I keep venomous and I try to follow some safety protocols for MY safety. Is it always necessary? No. Should it still be followed because if you do your safety will be more likely assured? Yes. The accident that happens to someone affects everyone in the keeping industry, not just that person. I'd think that you especially would promote the SAFEST possible handling to assure that you can keep these beautiful animals in the future.

Actually I am all for permits... even though I keep Boas... large constrictors are simply too dangerous to be freely sold with no form of supervision.

CMRetics- if any large constrictor -needs- extra caution, it's the Retic. There's a reason why it's the snake that injured and killed most owners when compared to other snake species (sure, it's still a relatively laughable number, but worth mentioning).

They are extremely intelligent, and extremely quick... so different from the vast majority of python species...
That is part of their charm- I definitely agree... I'm a huge fan of retics...

You can try to practice extreme cautious husbandry but some day... something will slip by, because no one is immune to mistakes... and only your more than average keeper(like yourself) will be able to handle such an occurrence.

So, I am not saying you need to ban them... but you certainly need to ensure that they do not end up in the wrong hands- else a bystander could end up being seriously injured.

What was the point of necro-ing this long dead and totally forgotten thread?

Actually I am all for permits... even though I keep Boas... large constrictors are simply too dangerous to be freely sold with no form of supervision.

CMRetics- if any large constrictor -needs- extra caution, it's the Retic. There's a reason why it's the snake that injured and killed most owners when compared to other snake species (sure, it's still a relatively laughable number, but worth mentioning).

They are extremely intelligent, and extremely quick... so different from the vast majority of python species...
That is part of their charm- I definitely agree... I'm a huge fan of retics...

You can try to practice extreme cautious husbandry but some day... something will slip by, because no one is immune to mistakes... and only your more than average keeper(like yourself) will be able to handle such an occurrence.

So, I am not saying you need to ban them... but you certainly need to ensure that they do not end up in the wrong hands- else a bystander could end up being seriously injured.

I agree full on Oren. Very well said.

CMRetics it's clear that retics are a big thing to you, but Oren is right.

Never...I mean NEVER allow a retic or burmese to make direct eye contact with

you! These guys are smart!
Just for you Rich...

... Shift cages/doors sound like people who are afraid of the snake. If you can't work with it properly don't own it. I hook train them, remove them from the cage, put in a locking tote, clean the cage, put back. Standard procedure used by a vast majority of keepers and it's perfectly safe. Problems arise at feeding time, or people who don't learn to kill feeding responses properly. I work with my snakes daily, and all are perfectly calm and fine to interact with. Although, I can see if you stuck them in a cage and only used shift doors that an animal would become unaccustomed to human interaction and become more dangerous/wary. I find that more dangerous myself. ;)...
I am going way way out on a limb here but I am guessing a guy with a PhD in herpetology that works with king cobras CAN work with snakes properly. JMHO

My five foot BCI could easily knock me out if he got around my neck and I couldn't get him off. He wouldn't have to constrict at all, he just has muscle.

I too think that anyone who wants anacondas, retics, and burms should have to have a permit to keep them. The only problem there is that the people who make up the regulations for the permits tend to not know a thing about reptiles in the first place. We have a reptile "rescue" here and their minimum adoption requirements for a boa is a 10 x 10 bedroom just for it.

CM....when I say any constrictor over 6 ft...I didn't mean a damn ratsnake! I meant the large constrictors like burms or retics. Whether or not it can eat you is NOT the point. A large constrictor CAN kill you. In a feeding response or just because they can strike and wrap.
Striking and wrapping IS a feeding response. Snakes don't wrap for fun. Unless you grab it poorly while it's angry, then it wraps, but you'd have to be a little "slow" to do that.
A smaller person very well could be in trouble with an 8 ft. retic around them and a larger snake than that can even kill a man..people have been killed by their own large constrictors. My good friend has a 12 ft burm that she has to care for when her husband is away. The snake is extremely heavy and she cannot manage the snake safely IMO.
A 12 foot burm shouldn't be "that" heavy... Sure a massive snake can kill someone, but if you're so small that you're in danger from an 8 ft snake, you shouldn't own it. My male is 10' and about as big around as a soda can, he's extremely manageable and weighs less than some of these obese boas in our hobby.
If for some reason their very docile burm decided that it was feeding time or whatever and she was alone while cleaning, she very well could be killed or seriously injured. There are some rules that really SHOULD be kept. I do bow to your knowledge but again, you have the experience with many snakes of this type and the average owner does not. It's easy to get complacent when you spend all the time with your snake and nothing happens.
Sure, for a starting hobbyist with a new constrictor I agree 2 people to learn the ropes, but after you've learned the proper care/handling of the snake, you'll be just fine.
I keep venomous and I try to follow some safety protocols for MY safety. Is it always necessary? No. Should it still be followed because if you do your safety will be more likely assured? Yes. The accident that happens to someone affects everyone in the keeping industry, not just that person. I'd think that you especially would promote the SAFEST possible handling to assure that you can keep these beautiful animals in the future.
I do promote the safest handling, but I don't promote fear mongering and bad info about needing so many people to work with these animals. Hots and big constrictors are COMPLETELY different animals. I can't stand when things like "shift doors" are recommended in order to keep these snakes, as it completely takes away the human interaction component- in which you may as well just go to a zoo to see it. LOL

Do you advocate permits for dogs? I find dogs to be more dangerous and unpredictable than a large snake.

Your information is poor. Burmese pythons actually have the most kills under their belt, because they are dumber. Retics are tremendously safer than burms, because burms are a little on the slow side and are a lot like a ball python.

Yet large breed dogs and breeds known to bite often are freely adopted. They are not nearly as dangerous as you think.

I am going way way out on a limb here but I am guessing a guy with a PhD in herpetology that works with king cobras CAN work with snakes properly. JMHO
I've met plenty of people with degrees in things that don't know very much about a specific species. I value the information/care knowledge of a private breeder like Kevin @ nerd over most people with a herp degree. Although I will say- Bob Clark is the exception.

My five foot BCI could easily knock me out if he got around my neck and I couldn't get him off. He wouldn't have to constrict at all, he just has muscle.
Unwind from the tail. Very easy and fast.

I too think that anyone who wants anacondas, retics, and burms should have to have a permit to keep them. The only problem there is that the people who make up the regulations for the permits tend to not know a thing about reptiles in the first place. We have a reptile "rescue" here and their minimum adoption requirements for a boa is a 10 x 10 bedroom just for it.

CoRHS.org is a load of crap, and they know it. They follow that Kaplan character that knows about as much about reptiles as my soda can.

Permits are not the way to go, proper information needs to be taught.

I necrod this thread because the information accepted by the general populace regarding big snakes is bad. I don't want a lot of the information in this thread being read and taken as fact, because it isn't. I sure don't want new hobbyists detoured from keeping big constrictors just because of a lot of fear mongering like whats in this thread.

Yeah I actually do feel that some dog breeds should definitely be kept with a permit.

Also:

http://www.anapsid.org/handling.html

According to this, your statement about fatalities from Burmese Pythons is inaccurate.

I don't know what's your basis, but I am familiar with more injuries and fatalities incurred by Retics than other constrictors.

Legislating permits does not equal irrational fear- it is simply means of ensuring public safety, and in many cases, keep keepers from their own stupidity when they try to take on more than they can chew.

I necrod this thread because the information accepted by the general populace regarding big snakes is bad. I don't want a lot of the information in this thread being read and taken as fact, because it isn't. I sure don't want new hobbyists detoured from keeping big constrictors just because of a lot of fear mongering like whats in this thread.

No one had given a rats butt about this thread in MONTHS... 6 of them to be exact.

This is not the site people would come to do research about anyway. Only an idiot would go to a colubrid based site for research on burms and retics.

I'm glad you have experience with the big constrictors, that's great, but John Q. Public has no business owning these types of snakes.

A permit system is the perfect way to deal with it. It forces people to do something more than making a $100 split decision at reptile show.

I respect all those keepers experienced enough to safely keep them, I just don't believe most people are educated enough to keep large constrictors safely. I stand by my statements.

Also appreciate your insight CMRetics, and welcome to CS.com btw :)

I respect all those keepers experienced enough to safely keep them, I just don't believe most people are educated enough to keep large constrictors safely. I stand by my statements.

Also appreciate your insight CMRetics, and welcome to CS.com btw :)

I agree with Chris, Oren and BB.

Heck, John Q. Public has a hard time properly caring for any reptile, small or large.

Tsst, I love you my friend. That is my favorite part of the movie! :D

With this hobby under a *expletive* microscope from PETAfreaks, HSUScreeps and every power hungry polititian capable of holding a pen, I would MUCH rather show pictures of nasty bites and teach new keepers to respect the hell out of these animals before they even THINK about getting one. Better they be scared and careful then recklessly endangering this hobby more than it already is because every single bit of bad press is used against this hobby like a blugeon.

And yeah, CMR, you may have experiance with these animals, you may not, but I have a real problem with your response to Dr Mohr and his responsible keeping of these animals with shield cages. Taking away the "human interaction componant" in most cases is the responsible thing to do.
You keep these things, probably breed and sell them. Dont make it seem as though keeping them is easy as pie when most of us know otherwise.

Yeah I actually do feel that some dog breeds should definitely be kept with a permit.

Also:

http://www.anapsid.org/handling.html

According to this, your statement about fatalities from Burmese Pythons is inaccurate.

I don't know what's your basis, but I am familiar with more injuries and fatalities incurred by Retics than other constrictors.

Legislating permits does not equal irrational fear- it is simply means of ensuring public safety, and in many cases, keep keepers from their own stupidity when they try to take on more than they can chew.
Kaplan's site is about as accurate as a petco caresheet. That site is trash.

I've met plenty of people with degrees in things that don't know very much about a specific species. I value the information/care knowledge of a private breeder like Kevin @ nerd over most people with a herp degree.

I see you are not familiar with Dr. Jefe.

Attachments

• graducation burm.jpg
    graducation burm.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 87
With this hobby under a *expletive* microscope from PETAfreaks, HSUScreeps and every power hungry polititian capable of holding a pen, I would MUCH rather show pictures of nasty bites and teach new keepers to respect the hell out of these animals before they even THINK about getting one. Better they be scared and careful then recklessly endangering this hobby more than it already is because every single bit of bad press is used against this hobby like a blugeon.

And yeah, CMR, you may have experiance with these animals, you may not, but I have a real problem with your response to Dr Mohr and his responsible keeping of these animals with shield cages. Taking away the "human interaction componant" in most cases is the responsible thing to do.
You keep these things, probably breed and sell them. Dont make it seem as though keeping them is easy as pie when most of us know otherwise.

I see you are not familiar with Dr. Jefe.
Yep what I was thinking.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1213377&postcount=1

Just for you Rich...

LOL!!!! Well, that's NOT exactly where I read the info on "Looking into the eyes", And I fully 100% agree....I could be wrong, the Source for said Info could be wrong....As I have Never Kept these animals. But I do have an "Owners" Manual for Burmese. Lol

Oh Well..... :)

The woman that I was telling you about is about 5 ft 2" and has fibromyalgia....no, she shouldn't be handling the burm but her husband works for the oil company and is gone for up to several months at a time. The snake has to have the cage cleaned and she needs to be fed. Yes, she is obese....they feed her weekly....I've told them it's too often, but you can't tell Iain anything. He adores his "girl" and any time he's home she is in the kiddy pool out back with him. She is too heavy for his wife though and it's NOT safe for her to be handling them. Bite and wrap can be defensive as well, not just feeding response although wrapping can be. I see snakes wrap automatically in response to someone trying to pull them off after they latch on in a bite. Not all defensive bites are strike release. A large heavy burm that latches on and then wraps someone is very, very difficult to get off without help. I still think that safety while handling is important and that erring on the side of being more safe for the average owner is better than not. With experience you can tweek your ideas of how and why you do things. Like I said, for my venomous I try NEVER to tweek safety. No matter how mellow or non-aggressive the snake may appear to be. All the people I've ever known that were bitten by their own animals had it happen because they got complacent and didn't follow safety protocols. Large constrictors are every bit as dangerous to non-educated owners as any venomous. And right now with all the legislation against them.....every little thing that happens makes the news.

Back